WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swede

I Saw It With My Own Eyes Today

I was driving home from the farm going south down an oiled and chipped road around 2-30. It was very windy and cold and mostly cloudy. I had just went through a country road intersection when I saw some dogs in the road in front of me. As I got closer I saw a black hound possible a Lab mix running out in the open field when he saw me and a short legged fluffy (some kind of mix like Poodle) running towards me on the side of the road. It was plastered with mud in its fur. The other dog was a coyote in broad daylight. He almost refused to move but eventually went through an open gate into a field but then stopped less then 50 feet from the road.

I can only guess the fluffy dog was a female in heat buy the way it had obviously been running for hours and the coyote had joined into the party.I have heard that coyotes cross breed with domestic dogs IE male domestic with female coyotes but I have never heard much even seen coyotes with domestic females. That would be the only explanation for natural enemies in that close of a proximity. The domestic dog with wild coyotes are called "super coyotes" because it takes a large domestic dog to bluff off male coyotes long enough to ah procreate. That is the reason for larger coyotes here then the more isolated western coyotes.

Hmmmm...poodle and coyote mix sounds interesting.

A yappin coyote with fuzzy hair.