WildSurvive Forum
Muddy Pete

..to live off the land, to eat things that would make a Billy goat puke

I'm not good at plant identification, I wouldn't eat or even handle a plant that I wasn't absolutely sure about. These are pictures of some local plants that grow in abundance. I posted pictures of them for fun.

P5050180.jpg

P5050168.jpg

P5090007.jpg

I'm not sure about the rest, but that last picture of the nice three-leafed plant with the berries?  I wouldn't roll in that....

Poison sumac?

That's what I was gonna ask! Lol

I recently picked up a book on edible plants that seems pretty informative. I'm new at all this but I'm learning.

the "big Plant" is Mullen.  it has strong medicinal properties, mainly an expectorent, helps loosen phlem  and chest congestion. it was the main ingreadiant in cough syrup in the olden days. its a bianual, it grows for two years. the first year it just grows like that picture, no stalk, then the second year it grows a tall stock with what looks like an ear of corn with lots of yellow flowers on it. and then dies. the stalks make sevicable hand drills and if you clean out the pith you could make a blow gun. if you make a tea from the leaves for a cough syrup make sure you filter it threw a coffee filter. the little hairs can irritate your throat. sorry, dont know the other plants except the poison sumac, dont make a tea from that  8|

I just sat down with Peterson field guild and compared with the pictures. That's poison sumac alright. This is why I don't take anything but pictures.

IF I have identified this correctly, it's common strawberry. It won't have fruit for a few more weeks.

P5120036.jpg

Common blue violet.

P5120039.jpg