WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Unca Walt

Cuttin' up the Bluegrass!

Tooken a week off with the Fabled PC.  We went up to Sky Valley in Jawjuh with our closest buds (Jerry and Fleek).

Turns out I learned how to play spoons about forty years ago... and Jerry and Fleek both knew how to play the washtub cello.

So we got drafted.  The ole boy with the banjo was incredible -- made us sound like we knew whut we wuz doin'.  :woot:  Herself tooken a coupla pics.

Here's Jerry on the washtub, the banjo picker doing his thang, and Himself playing the spoons:

three_picking2copy.jpg

Then Fleek took over on the washtub:

Three_Picking1copy.jpg

FUN!  We played for about an hour, and the crowd really got a kick outa it.  :dj:

One of my favorite songs, and I love the spoon solo...not exactly Bluegrass though...

Soundgarden- Spoon Man

I gotta make me one of them washtub cellos! I can play a MEAN jew's harp!

Thanks for sharing walt! Too bad no movies!:(

You kin get the whole idea on how to build (and play) the cello from those pics.  Broom handle with hole drilled through on top for the heavy string to go through.  String is gripped with same hand that holds the broom handle.  Open end of the broom handle rests in the lip of the tub.

Moving your grip up and down the string/handle changes tone.  Tensioning tighter/looser (by pulling back on the string/handle changes volume (and the volume is surprisingly loud). Keep yer foot on the tub or nuthin happens at all. :)

Fun, and easypeasy to make.

One mo' thang...

To play the spoons, you gotta sit.  Then, put them back-to-back with on fingie twixt them on the handles.  Drop them to your knee and instantly bring them back up to be tapped by your other hand.  You can get a surprising scale of sounds from spoons.  You might think they would only have one note, but this just ain't true.

Sounds easy, and it is, but to get REALLY good... ya gotta practice with either a banjo or a guitar as the baseline.  

And I will give a dollar to the first person that can watch this YouTube WITHOUT tapping their feet!   B) :thumbsup: :dj:

The guy with the guitar is OK... but if he had a banjo, there'd be people shouting for happy.  :P

Here is one more YouTube.  I'm posting it 'cause it shows the three instruments we were using:  Banjo, bull fiddle/cello, and spoons.

Get two minutes in, and I guarantee you will be toe-tappin'...

There is just sumpin' about impromptu bluegrass with this combo that breaks down all barriers.  Normally sedate people will start shoutin', grinnin', and dancin'.  :P cool14.gif :grin: :hugegrin: