WildSurvive Forum

Last year I read a lot about disappearing honey bees and CCD (Colony Collapse Disorder) here in the U.S., so this year just out of curiosity I am trying to document the different areas I find honey bees. Have you guys had similar problems in the U.K.? Have any of you guys noticed honey bees while you have been out hiking this year.

I found these down the road at a neighbor’s house, we live between a ridge and the side of a mountain. I’m told by a friend who raises bees in another country that the pollen (?) build-up on this bee’s legs looks a bit odd. Anyone got any input on that?

DSC_2641.jpg

DSC_2643.jpg

Then I found these yesterday, in town where my wife works. They are much smaller than the others and the ones I found last year.

DSC_2824.jpg

DSC_2822.jpg

DSC_2825A.jpg

The pollen on their legs is a normal thing.  I believe the chew on it a while, then stick it on their legs so they can carry more.

There the rumor going around that cell phones were killing off the honey bees, but no scientific basis for that as of yet.  I did read one study where an active cell phone was put in with bees - every time the cell phone was called, even with the ringer/vibrate turned off, the bees would go nuts.

i have a good freind that raises bees and processes honey and honeycomb. i get all of it free i want as long as i keep showing his kids cool survival stuff.  :thumbup:

i have a good freind that raises bees and processes honey and honeycomb. i get all of it free i want as long as i keep showing his kids cool survival stuff.  :thumbup:

~ You know if you take a teaspoon of raw honey a day (From local bees) it helps with Asthma (and other allergic reactions to pollen).

ive heard that.

It definitely works, I've been looking for another source of local honey lately. It helped a lot the last several years.

And OFG, we will probably kill off everything with EMP over time....including ourselves.

~ That video is a hoax, swede... 

Yup Update #1: It turns out the video was indeed part of a viral marketing campaign for Cardo Systems, makers of Bluetooth headsets.

The pollen on their legs is a normal thing.  I believe the chew on it a while, then stick it on their legs so they can carry more.

There the rumor going around that cell phones were killing off the honey bees, but no scientific basis for that as of yet.  I did read one study where an active cell phone was put in with bees - every time the cell phone was called, even with the ringer/vibrate turned off, the bees would go nuts.

oh is that what the yellow stuff is pollen

oh is that what the yellow stuff is pollen

~ yes! that yellow stuff they carry around on their legs is pollen. Mistwalker's friend says that the bees he's seeing (Mistwalker has a pic of some) have a darker looking substance on their legs...  not as yellow as pollen. Maybe it's a different kind of plant they're gathering pollen from... a plant that's pollen is not bright yellow?  Not quite sure. I don't see many honey bees, but the ones I have seen have always had the bright yellow pollen on their legs.