WildSurvive Forum
Miles111

Novice from Canada

Yo im Miles, I live in Canada. Found out about this website from a youtube video of Les Stroud bashing Bear Grylls heh. .

Survival, well, livin in the wilderness starting off with nothin but a knife and axe, is one of the two passions i live for. Im a fan of survivorman and I am a huge fan of Gary Paulsen, who wrote Hatchet and the rest of the Brian books, Guts, and a lot of other books about wilderness livin.

My idea of a perfect trip would be goin into the boreal forest with nothin but a knife, axe, and a few pots, and once i got a good shelter and supply of food (if i had the choice, i would always pick a spot near a lake), then start workin on a forge and once i can get some iron tools together build a bigger house then move on to more useful structures and walls to keep the animals out. I know easier said then done, but i know people who have done stuff pretty close to what im sayin and they know people who have done what im talkin about in one or two weeks.

There are two questions i got right now that have been buggin me for the past week. First, how can you make a forge thats able to smelt iron if you dont have a metal tube to blow air in? Second, are there any plants in canada that can be made into a poison for arrows or darts that would just knock an animal unconscious? Sorry if i worded this badly, im in a bit of a hurry

Welcome Miles.

Let's see, answer to question #1 ...... I dunno

Question #2...... I dunno

Browse around the website, there may be something on those subjects!

Hi, Miles!  Welcome to Wild Survive!  I think Swede here is your man to help answer those questions.  There's not much he doesn't know a thing or two about!  :yes:

He'll be along sooner or later to welcome you, and maybe he can answer those questions for you.  :thumbup:

clay, mud and packed dirt will work ok to make a tunnel to your coals. other than that i dont know how you would push air threw it other than some kind of bellows made from an animal hide and sticks. and by the way, welcome aboard!

This forum and many of its members was started after Les Stroud shut his forum down. A lot of us were member there. I was in the administration of his forum and have talked to Les on a few occasions on the phone. On one occasion I did more listening then talking.  :hugegrin:

What you have a passion for doing Les has already tried. He has a documentary out there called Snowshoes and Solitude where Les and his wife spent a good deal of time doing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Stroud

I doubt there is any plants in Canada that could be used for poison arrows. The "Poison Arrow Frog" of the jungle areas is what is used by the natives and not a plant. Possibly rattle snake venom could be used but trying that could be fatal for the person trying it. 

Lesses secretary Wendy is a member here and a freind of mine. You can find her on facebook occasionally.

Welcome aboard Miles.

Wilderness survival is VERY tough my friend. Its mainly starving slowly and the Canadian bird "the mosquito" and the very nasty black fly make for a very unpleasant  existence.

Nice to miss you

welcome to all

Well who ever you are you seem to be having trouble with a language barrier converting to English.

Guest KateDaring52

Thanks you for the post.

Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.