WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swede

Name This Animal

A friend of mine saw this creature in her back yard. She grabbed a camera and took these pictures. Since the first encounter with this animal they have seen just his head looking over a bank. It runs off when seen. She described the animal as larger then a dog with a four foot tail long pointed nose and big pointed ears as you can make out in the pictures. She stated the hind leges were much longer then the front legs.

You tell me what she saw and Ill tell you where she saw it.

001zki.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

002lho.jpg

A friend of mine took this picture through her window just 50 foot from her house on June 3 2011 just south of Niota Illinois across the Mississippi  river from Fort Madison. The animal appears to have mange as no hair was visible on his body. Either a Wallaby or Kangaroo. 

This is the exact location. We drove down there today and saw where this animal had been laying and the spot it was seen and photographed.

animalo.jpg

I found this while googling:

"I just saw a baby kangaroo in northern Illinois?

I was driving in Wheeling, IL on Hintz road going west, which is about 20 miles away from downtown Chicago and saw something crossing the street. At first i thought it was a cat or a dog, but after getting closer i saw it not run but jump and looked like a baby kangaroo. The other car that i was driving next to had stopped to look at it, but i was in a hurry so i couldn't. So the question is if i am not drunk or high and its light out why was there a baby kangaroo in Chicago? and what should i do may be? I find this hard to believe myself, if someone told me i wouldn't believe them either, but please tell me what you think."

9 months ago

Report Abuse

Additional Details

I have called the local animal control they told me that its highly unlikely. but that thing looked and jumped and was a baby kangaroo.

9 months ago

There were numerous posts on facebook from people who have no connection to each other that within the last few days they had seen a baby kangaroo in our area.

9 months ago

(everybody followed up by telling this person that they had seen a rabbit) ....  :P  Looks like y'all got Roo's up there swede.  :thumbsup:

The thing is it is with out doubt a kangaroo/wallaby and where it came from is the mystery. Fat Guy may have a clue from all of the zoo and private animals that escaped during Katrina and maybe Missouri from the tornadoes is even more likely. I actually think my friends pictures are a really big deal because it certainly has more merit then eye witness sightings. Wallaby's are forest creatures according to Wiki but Im afraid this animal is in severe distress from mange. I can only imagine if he is completely hairless just how bad the bugs are attacking him. Thats probably what drove him out into residential areas. They feed animals out where the pictures were taken. They also have a Bobcat with kittens under an old truck in a junk yard they own.If I had the time the place needs trail cams. Ill try to get the IDNR interested.

Lets see I approach an officer and say"I just saw a naked kangaroo in my back yard".  :unsure:  :smoke:

Lets see I approach an officer and say"I just saw a naked kangaroo in my back yard".  :unsure:  :smoke:

~ no.....  you show them the PICTURE, and ask them what they think it might be. (And don't notify an "officer" go to the media with it and call it a Chupacabra! It looks JUST like one." Then you'll have every law enforcement agent around trying to disprove the "believers".....your town's economy will be boosted by all of the media coverage, the legend of the chupcabra continues, and the kangaroo with mange might get help...    it's a win/win situation.  cool14.gif

Ive got several people notified today. A news paper across the river from Niota and an Illinois state biologist and new member Deena Budd who is in the news business and a columnist.