WildSurvive Forum
Snow Walker

A little hobby of mine...PIC. HEAVY!!!

The ghilliesuit,

I've always been fascinated by camouflage you might say because of how Mother Nature's creatures can blend in or how humans can effectively conceal themselves so I thought I would share one of my favorite hobbies with you guys.  I use these alot for turkey hunting, predator hunting and getting close with the camera.

I use all natural burlap feed bags which I get from the feed mill for about $2 a piece...I'm old school so you will never catch me using the synthetic materials.  I dye and strip the materials myself and use very few colors because the more colors you use the least effective they are.  The ghillie is designed to be used with natural vegetation and it's top priority is to distort the human form especially in the head and shoulder area.  I like to stay with a basic color as seen in the pictures which can be used anytime of the year and detailed with natural vegetation to mimic it's surroundings.  During late winter I will add white cotton strips creating a DEADLY camouflage!

I will often use different variations of the same color dye rather then use different colors.  For ex.  I might use a light green for part of the suit and use a yellow/green mixture to do the rest or I might leave the material in the dye for different lengths of time to also get different variations.

Alot of people think the ghillie makes you invisible, but that couldn't be further from the truth.  More important then ANY TYPE OF CAMOUFLAGE IS LACK OF MOVEMENT, LACK OF NOISE, NOT SKYLINING YOURSELF AND STAYING LOWER THEN YOUR SURROUNDING VEGETEATION.  Knowing how to use terrain, light and shadows is a must.  Owning one of these suits does require practice just as any other piece of gear.

The suits I make are made to be lightweight, breathable to keep you cool and to be extremely mobile.  They will fit in a large fanny pack or they can be strapped to the back of a pack.  They are made to be worn over clothing not as your clothing allowing you to be more flexible.

The suit I built the ghillie on below was bought, but modified for my specific use.  I added mesh ventilation on the back, modified the hood attachments, camouflaged the inside, changed the length, added green vegetation bands, created hood adjustments so my vision is not interfered with and of course all the burlap was added and dyed to match my environment.  People say these things are too heavy, but that just isn't true if you know how to use the material.  This suit only weighs 4.5#

In the process of building I make it very thick and heavy, but thin it out once all the garnish is on.  Once the garnish (burlap/jute) is on the work actually just begins.  I will then high pressure the suit with water to break up the material and then give it a mud bath.  Once that is all done it is hung upside down to dry. 

Ok, enough said here are the pictures...if you have any questions just let me know.

Nice work! Love the cammo. And cool another RMJ fan. I get to do some field research for Ryan some times, and I LOVE my Shrike!

Nice work! Love the cammo. And cool another RMJ fan. I get to do some field research for Ryan some times, and I LOVE my Shrike!

Wow, that would be fun field researching his products!  The guy does awesome work and has awesome customer service.

Is he still as backed up as he was?  I know they were VERY busy when I ordered mine, but it's only fair the current military guys do get first dibs.

Wow, that would be fun field researching his products!  The guy does awesome work and has awesome customer service.

Is he still as backed up as he was?  I know they were VERY busy when I ordered mine, but it's only fair the current military guys do get first dibs.

Ryan is an awesome guy! He also does some fantastic period pieces! I love getting to play with new products. I have a Jenny Wren coming, I got to get in on the initial testing of those in the bush and did some video for Ryan.

They are pretty backed up but they just moved into a new shop and bought some new equipment, so that should be changing soon.

awsome job snowwalker :thumbup: i love ghillies. (im a sniper at heart) ive got some videos on making them but never had the time. now that im back into bow hunting i just might find the time  ;)

hey snow walker. do you use one ghilli and add natural materials for the area or do you have more than one, fall, winter etc.

Sorry I missed your question...I use one and add vegetation as needed to mimic the environment.  During the winter I will just tie in some white cotton strips.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5170.0;attach=4099;image

I love this image.

I have two rags I made whilst in the army 22 years ago. One is now being used in Afghanistan and the other is being used god knows where by some mates. The one in Afghanistan I originally tied for use in Kenya but since then it has been used all over Africa and in a couple of southern States in the US and is great in the desert. The other one I tied for more temperate regions and has been used all over the world.

Personally I would never take close up photos of a ghillie, don't want to give secrets away ;)

The only criticism I have of the one above is that it's material is a little to fine and to uniform but that's tied as the US military ties them.