WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Snow Walker

A lighter side of things...Beautiful Huskies

We went to visit a friend of ours yesterday to see how her Husky breeding was doing and came back with some pictures for those of you that like the breed.  She has two new litters right now, but we could only get close to one of them.  The mother of the other litter is very protective so we gave her her space.  These are some beautiful dogs and I have to say they might be our next choice when we are ready.

There is a picture of an old truck topper that I thought was interesting.  The dogs LOVE IT, during the winter it is filled with bedding and snow just buries the topper.  The dogs love hanging out inside of it!

Hope you guys enjoy the pictures!

~ Those ARE some pretty dogs, Snow Walker!  :thumbup:

However, you need to research the breed if you're thinking about getting a Husky.  they are not for everyone. They have to be contained. They aren't the kind of dog that you can let run loose. They aren't territorial, so they don't protect your property, (but I have found that they are intimidating to look at, so people are afraid of them.)  They are highly Pack-oriented, so they do protect their pack members (From what I've seen.) My dog always stands between me and anybody we meet on the road/trail where ever we're walking. And that's another thing.....

They HAVE to travel. They need to walk every day. If you want a dog who will be happy in a fenced in yard, don't get one. My dog is an indoor outdoor dog. They are primal to the point that I think he could survive without me. He will kill AND eat squirrels and birds and my pet rabbit. Very Prey-driven. They will chase livestock, and try to kill it. They are more primal than other dogs. If you don't walk with them, they are master escape artists and they'll find a way to run on their own. Many times... never coming back home. They can jump like a gazelle, and dig under a fence in no time. They LOVE to dig. They don't care if it's in your garden, or in the middle of your lawn. That's why there are so many of them in shelters. Their beauty is their undoing sometimes. They are the cutest puppies ever, and many people buy them without really knowing what they're getting in to. They ARE Working dogs, and Working breeds need to work. They can be VERY destructive if they get bored.  Also they blow their coats once a year (In the Spring) they shed their entire Winter coat for about three weeks. Hair comes off by the handfuls, literally, all over your house, and you constantly have to vaccum and sweep, during that time, (Your wife might not appreciate that.)  :whistle:

They were engineered to run for MILES every day, and they will find a way if you don't provide an outlet. They were also made to pull, and they will pull you HARD. If  I miss a day or two of walking, he's literally jumping straight up in the air, lunging at the end of that leash, like he's trying to break a sled out of some ice, and just fly with it! It's just years of instinct built into him. It's not easy. He's hurt my shoulder before, just with the tension he can put on the leash. They can pull many times their own weight for MILES, so I have to use a no-pull harness or I wouldn't even be able to hold my own dog (Initially) then after a mile or two, he gets in the zone and walks at my pace.... which is about five miles an hour average (I know because I take my garmen etrex with us when we go). He's not happy walking any slower, and a stroll around the block will never spend his energy, he's got to go several miles. In the heat down here, that pretty much spends his energy (In the Winter, I Just make him pull one of my kids on their kick scooter or on their bike UP hill while we walk) so they are not a dog for somebody who isn't active. On the plus side... They're odorless, very clean, and very intelligent. They won't be happy unless they're part of the pack.... and that means spending time inside. My dog hugs me... he presses his head onto my chest and looks into my eyes before I go to sleep. He sleeps right beside me on the floor all night. He'll wake me up if he wants to go outside. They don't bark.... They howl, just like a wolf. They talk to you too, he's the only dog I've had who just looks at me and tries to talk... usually when he's wanting me to take him for a walk) I love my dog. He's the coolest dog who's ever owned me.  :love:

Up where you live, he'd be happy pulling you along on cross country ski trips.... It COULD be a blast.

Oh, we're well aware of all of that believe me.  We have a rather large area you could say for an "energetic" member of the family.

If I wanted a dog for property protection the choice would be a Cane Corso. 

Glad to see you liked the pictures.