WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Snow Walker

3-D Archery

Archery is an awesome sport for hunters and non-hunters alike.  Within the sport of archery is something called 3-D shooting which is a ton of fun, great practice and believe it or not unheard of by alot people.  3-D archery is shooting at life like foam targets usually set in a wooded walk through range.  An average course will hold aprox.  28-30 targets of different animals...some realistic some not.  Some courses are even larger, I have shot courses that have held up to and over a 100 targets sometimes taking a Saturday and Sunday to compltete, but on average it's 28-30 as I mentioned earlier.  You pay a small fee to compete or just shoot for the fun of it. 

You can shoot with the family, friends and all ages are welcome.  Usually half way through the course there is an area for food and drink also.  As you walk through the course and approach each target you will see different stakes that are labeled letting people know where they are supposed to shoot from.  There are all types of classes.  The trick is you have to guess the yardage to the target which is a skill that should be mastered in archery rather then relying on rangefinders all the time. 

Different courses score differently, but this is how the course set-up below was scored.  For the larger targets the center ring which is just a little bigger then a quarter

was 12 pts., the next ring is worth 10, then the next 8 and finally anywhere on the body outside of those rings is worth 5.  If you hit right on a line you get the next higher points.  The smaller targets are scored the same, but the scoring rings are smaller of course.  Targets can be set as close as a few feet all the way out to 60 yards depending on your skill level.

I have seen targets in trees on a hoist system, over the water(better not miss these), moving targets, shooting from elevated positions, kneeling, standing, sitting on stools, sitting on the ground, shooting on steep hills up or down etc...you never know what will be thrown at you!  I have seen courses that are nice and flat and others that test your shooting to the max. by putting you through a cardio. work out in between stations.  You just never know!

All courses and different clubs have their own rules so check into it and give it a try.  There are classes for kids, compond shooters, traditional archers and numerous other classes.  The events really are alot of fun!!!

I used to go to one just about every weekend traveling all over the state and have to say there was so much to see and do just in the traveling aspect of things let alone the 3-D event.  Alot of these courses will also hold fun novelty shoots after you finish the course for a chance of winning prizes.

As you can see in the targets below you have them ranging in size from the small frog to a moose which stands well over my head. 

It really is fun and great excercise, so if your into archery or are curious about it and haven't tried this PLEASE DO it's a ton of fun!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

100_6981-b.jpg.64d58e22467323b3f7c43c7dfd9876ed.jpg

100_6985-b.jpg.c716c1f23f133d6652c82b29e9aa3a6f.jpg

100_6988-b.jpg.069d02c4cacad041fa09f0ace482ba34.jpg

100_6989-b.jpg.15074e2d7263e61c68a1b33db37f7ecd.jpg

100_7013-b.jpg.762676bfa8cb5851e11fedd54ebf72e5.jpg

100_7018-b.jpg.c4d354e98d2ede160599a2b728b53e68.jpg

100_7039-b.jpg.07d53f70cab1b788d8064d01cb9ce556.jpg

100_7040-b.jpg.b8fd4edcc5828b6025fb376b396044b4.jpg

100_7048-b.jpg.b7e6ad2fdf49716b51ed3eb4bce4a653.jpg

100_7051-b.jpg.1dcb0083891f144646029056a8273215.jpg

100_7052-b.jpg.670b7b13b8b3fa2a75f4f7117eaf422c.jpg

LOL! I like that OFG, but dammit, people need to get more REALISTIC and make a ZOMBIE archery target!

SW....That's like the archers form of sporting clays! I love that!

LOL! I like that OFG, but dammit, people need to get more REALISTIC and make a ZOMBIE archery target!

SW....That's like the archers form of sporting clays! I love that!

Now Zombie targets could bring a whole new crowd!  LOL  That would be funny no dobt!!

~ LOL....  I love the velociraptor target! What kid wouldn't love to shoot at that! OR better yet, a twenty foot tall T-Rex. :thumbsup:

I agree, I think it's high time for a zombie target.... I mean how HARD would it really be to make one of those?  They have them all over the place every Halloween.  :P :hugegrin:  They should have a whole park full of monsters and open it up at Halloween.  :thumbup: (Or even year round)   If you wanna get folks into archery, you need to provide targets other than Bambi, and cute little skunks, and monkeys...  Every animal in those pics above are ALL key players in Disney movies! Nobody wants to shoot Flower, the skunk, or Nala, the Lioness...   scared011.gif  (It's a psychological deterrent.) They need a park made up of Hollywoods biggest villians from the last thirty years...  People would be lined up to get in there and start shooting! I'm seeing a whole section on Slasher movie fiends, alone. (Aliens)...  Politicians you hate....  it's an untapped market.   cool14.gif

I SO should've been in Marketing...  :smoke:

~ LOL....  I love the velociraptor target! What kid wouldn't love to shoot at that! OR better yet, a twenty foot tall T-Rex. :thumbsup:

I agree, I think it's high time for a zombie target.... I mean how HARD would it really be to make one of those?  They have them all over the place every Halloween.  :P :hugegrin:  They should have a whole park full of monsters and open it up at Halloween.  :thumbup: (Or even year round)  If you wanna get folks into archery, you need to provide targets other than Bambi, and cute little skunks, and monkeys...  Every animal in those pics above are ALL key players in Disney movies! Nobody wants to shoot Flower, the skunk, or Nala, the Lioness...  scared011.gif  (It's a psychological deterrent.) They need a park made up of Hollywoods biggest villians from the last thirty years...  People would be lined up to get in there and start shooting! I'm seeing a whole section on Slasher movie fiends, alone. (Aliens)...  Politicians you hate....  it's an untapped market.  cool14.gif

I SO should've been in Marketing...  :smoke:

I could definately go for an Obozo target!