WildSurvive Forum

I've heard this called other things, but I call it a char tube.  It's an effective way of having charred material on you all the time and takes a spark very easily.  It's also a very cheap if not cost free project that will probably out last you and I.

All you need is some tubing...I used a small piece of brass and 100% cotton cord.  I found some old clothesline and removed the nylon core.  Simply cut to the length you want and tie a not in one end, push the knot free end through the tube until it sticks out and char with a lighter.  From that point on it will remain charred from using it.  To use just push out the knot free end and hit with a spark, use it as needed and pull back in to put out holding a finger over the end.

100_7173-b.jpg.a007a338ee91a0970aaddca21bd27462.jpg

100_7180-b.jpg.ab10746281c379430ac8205de9e42dfb.jpg

100_7183-b.jpg.a20e6cf8c55f167976f341817d22156d.jpg

• Like 1

On a similar note, I made some char cloth doobies the other day. 

Same way as making char cloth, but I rolled them up and packed them in the tin before charring them.

I have some small tubes that these fit into nicley.

Doobie1.thumb.jpg.8e3c4e8b7792c5d5fafcee2a0dc63dad.jpg

"But officer, I really DO start fires with these!"

If I were in CA, I'd probably need a perscription.   :smoke:

LMAO...I could just see trying to explain that to a cop! :argue:

I bet there are plenty of other people who would look at us funny too. wacky115.gif

"But officer, I really DO start fires with these!"

Oh, so your the one starting the wild fires!  Come with me son your under arrest. oops.gif

You can't win rockhounder!

I've never made or used char cloth.  One question, How long does it stay viable in the tin?  I always thought it was pretty tender and would fall apart after being beatin around in a tin for a couple of weeks.  Or is it tougher than that?

Thanks

I've never made or used char cloth.  One question, How long does it stay viable in the tin?  I always thought it was pretty tender and would fall apart after being beatin around in a tin for a couple of weeks.  Or is it tougher than that?

Thanks

I have char cloth that I made last summer that has been sitting on my work bench in a tin and is still in good shape and works great.

Good to know.  Wonder how long it would last in a daypack for a couple of weeks of hiking and camping.

Thanks OFG!!!

Thanks

If it crumbles easily, it was "cooked" too long when it was made.  :yes:

Good to know.  Wonder how long it would last in a daypack for a couple of weeks of hiking and camping.

Thanks OFG!!!

Yeah, what Holly said. 

I carried a tin of it with me through the Grand Canyon and it is fine.  I keep it in a small Altoids tin, but if it had a chance to get wet, I would put the tin in a zip lock bag.

I made one of these also called black out lighter or trench lighter. Mostly used by troops to light cigarettes without giving away your location. For some reason it didn't work that well for me, yes I used 100 percent cotton cord from a mop. I used a lighter to char the end, let it cool then hit it with a striker and it lit just fine. But after that i have trouble getting it to light again, seems it does not char enough to get it to light again. But if I use a lighter to char the end it will light with just a spark. Not a biggie as I have many other ways to light my fires