WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mistwalker

Another Flora & Fauna Hike

I have been out scouting for some photos for a website lately. I thought I’d share some of the random photos I’ve taken while I was out.

The Autumn Olives are coming along nicely. One of my favorite snack foods when they’re ripe.

DSC_3022.jpg

DSC_3013.jpg

DSC_3020.jpg

As is the Ocoee (Passiflora), far from ripe yet.

DSC_2926.jpg

DSC_2918.jpg

DSC_2908.jpg

DSC_2950.jpg

Lots of fresh Blackberries to munch on though, mmmmmmm

DSC_2964.jpg

IMG_6907.jpg

DSC_2962.jpg

Plenty of Poison Ivy here, it should be the Hamilton County flower…and lots of bugs.

DSC_2881today.jpg

DSC_2877.jpg

DSC_2885today.jpg

DSC_3038.jpg

DSC_3040.jpg

DSC_3006.jpg

Alayna went with me day before yesterday. She likes finding tracks. She found some deer tracks and wanted to follow them through the mud, then she found a new kind of track and she didn’t know what it was.

IMG_6932.jpg

IMG_6936.jpg

IMG_6917.jpg

IMG_6984.jpg

She found a feather…

IMG_6979.jpg

And she had fun playing with some of the onion seeds, of which there were plenty

IMG_6939.jpg

IMG_6933.jpg

IMG_6940.jpg

DSC_2997.jpg

DSC_3095.jpg

DSC_3098.jpg

Lots of thistle too, another alien looking plant in ways.

DSC_3085.jpg

DSC_3088.jpg

IMG_6986.jpg

Some Queen Anne’s lace

DSC_3104.jpg

IMG_6943.jpg

IMG_6918.jpg

Some fungi popping up after we got some rain

IMG_6982.jpg

IMG_6968.jpg

Lots of Horse Nettle, and Plantain

IMG_6961.jpg

IMG_6960.jpg

DSC_3008.jpg

Recent storms seem to have done a number on a lot of the wild grapes but the muscadines are coming along ok

DSC_3028.jpg

Yesterday I got a nice start from a hen turkey, barely discernable in this pic, protecting her young. Ya know, it’s amazing how menacing a turkey can look coming at you with wings spread and talons out. Luckily the ocoee vines held her back or I may have gotten a new scar or two. The little ones scattered.

DSC_2981.jpg

DSC_2984.jpg

DSC_2985.jpg

With the various photo equipment I was packing, and moving through thick brush a lot of the time, I was traveling light so my minimal kit was this, the knee high snake boots, and the 12” machete on my side.

DSC_3055.jpg

These shots are of a young Rabbit I took about a week or so ago. He was near my truck when I got back to it. I thought I had spooked it but it must have just had a flea annoying it or something. It just ran over to a dusty spot, starting digging in the dust, and flopped down in the dust and rolled around. Then got up and started grooming itself. Then it looked right at me and went pack to the grooming. It was fun to watch, and then I went back to previewing my photos on my notebook. When I packed everything back up, opening and closing the doors I turned to look around one more time before I left and the little guy was about sitting munching on some clover about 5 meters behind me. I was wishing I had still had the camera out, but it was fun to just sit and watch.

DSC_2602.jpg

DSC_2608.jpg

DSC_2616.jpg

DSC_2621.jpg

DSC_2624.jpg

DSC_2627.jpg

DSC_2630.jpg

was that a roadrunner and a jack rabbit

Nah, we don't have those here, that was two baby turkeys and a young cotton tail.

~ I Love the pic "She found a feather!"  How Cute!  :thumbsup:  I was always obsessed with feathers when I was little. (Still am). I could never walk past one. I'd pick them up and put them in a box under my bed. It was my feather box. Later... I'd even notice what direction they were pointing in when I'd find them. And what birds they came from.  8| I have feathers taped all over the pages of my journals.

Lol,She's my little wild child. I used to collect them myself, I seldom bring them out with me anymore though, I pick them up and "play" with them a bit and usually sit them down somewhere along the way...the nicer ones I bring home to Lisa. I tend to make notes on a lot of found objects, where, when, etc.

~ I Love the pic "She found a feather!"  How Cute!  :thumbsup:  I was always obsessed with feathers when I was little. (Still am). I could never walk past one. I'd pick them up and put them in a box under my bed. It was my feather box. Later... I'd even notice what direction they were pointing in when I'd find them. And what birds they came from.  8| I have feathers taped all over the pages of my journals.

~ I'm a keeper of feathers, I guess.

journalpg.jpg

featherdirection.jpg

I'm strange like that...  :P

~ LOL.... thanks, guys. Anybody who has ever "read' me will know that I DO live in the twilight zone, and every inbetween place on Earth.....    cool14.gif

(sorry for going off-topic Mistwalker... I was just born off-topic.)

Great pictures mistwalker!

Nothing beats a day in the woods with our sidekicks.

Thanks SW, glad you enjoyed them, I like watching her face when she discovers something new.

~ LOL.... thanks, guys. Anybody who has ever "read' me will know that I DO live in the twilight zone, and every inbetween place on Earth.....    cool14.gif

(sorry for going off-topic Mistwalker... I was just born off-topic.)

No worries, I've thought I was in the Twilight Zone for years...I just assumed you were all here with me  :)

It's also so very cool to see them with that big old grin when they start accomplishing tasks they learn

Thanks SW, glad you enjoyed them, I like watching her face when she discovers something new.

No worries, I've thought I was in the Twilight Zone for years...I just assumed you were all here with me  :)

!

I cannot believe how awesome your camera and your photography skills are, mistwalker.  It is a joy and a pleasure to see your "work", my friend.  :arigato:

I cannot believe how awesome your camera and your photography skills are, mistwalker.  It is a joy and a pleasure to see your "work", my friend.  :arigato:

Thanks Holly, sorry I got really swamped this year and missed a lot of things and a lot of posts. I'm really glad you enjoyed the pictures.