WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Snow Walker

Chaga (True Tinder Fungus) Stove

I was experimenting with heating water on a piece of Chaga and it worked really well.

Here are a few pictures, but I'm not happy that the Chaga broke and spilled the water, oops.gif it was almost to a boil when that happened.  I will do it again to prove that it will boil, but I'm sure you can see it was on it's way even though it took awhile with a little coaxing.  

I just love experimenting with this stuff!  It makes a great incense (which I'm burning as I type), it makes AWESOME TEA, catches a spark very easy if you know what part of the Chaga to use and will allow you to carry it's coal if need be to a different area for fire.

All I did was lay the Chaga down with it's inside facing up, used my knife to dig a small depression in it and a flat spot for the cup on the edges.  I then hit it in spots through out the surface with a firesteel.  Once the sparks were spread out evenly I placed a titanium cup on top.  The small depression under the cup allowed for air flow.

THIS STUFF BURNS HOT SO BE CAREFUL!!!!!!

100_7243-b.jpg.aa1d6afd259be00edcd7d0762ac73485.jpg

100_7271-b.jpg.58ae91ffaf905b71afb64bb9e0336fd2.jpg

100_7286-b.jpg.74db7d18706d69985765f54f085d0a59.jpg

100_7294-b.jpg.e0715a00d9edff4380a34d3d9e6745cf.jpg

That is so cool, Snow Walker!  I wonder if I can use a great big dried up cow patty like that?  :grin:

That is so cool, Snow Walker!  I wonder if I can use a great big dried up cow patty like that?  :grin:

Hey Holly, I look at it this way...I love experimenting with things, it's all about learning.  I have been curious as to trying a cow patty for use with a bow drill.   See, great minds think alike! :thumbup:

Okay....I'm going to collect a cow patty from the farm next to where I do some office cleaning.  I'll let the patty dry out, then I'll see if I can get it to ignite with my mag/flint stick.  That is, if a bull in the field doesn't come after me!  :woot: 

Okay....I'm going to collect a cow patty from the farm next to where I do some office cleaning.  I'll let the patty dry out, then I'll see if I can get it to ignite with my mag/flint stick.  That is, if a bull in the field doesn't come after me!  :woot:  

I bet that bull would love to chase you around!  censored.gif Just be very careful when bending over to pick it up  Make sure you post some pictures and I'll do the same...I'll run and get a patty in a few minutes.

That would be very cool to try. I have never seen TF that big. It is pretty rare around me. I was able to get a fee small pieces up north. (I use them very sparingly).

I want to cry, Chaga is so rear here, that much I would make last a life time!

Although I am VERY lucky to have access to alot of the tinder fungus I never use it like this, this was just an experiment out of curiosity.

I found a piece that makes this chunk look small last year weighing in at 14 pounds. 

Well I can't fault you on experimenting because I am sure I would try the exact same thing. lol