WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Snow Walker

CREATURE IDENTIFICATION CONTEST

Below are pictures of various creature sign in Wisconsin, but not limited to Wisconsin.  You tell me what they are.

I will pick a winner on Monday, July 11th at 6 PM CENTRAL TIME.  Who ever gets the most right receives a nice little prize from me, but if someone gets them all right they win it all and a nicer prize. :thumbup:  I'M SORRY, BUT I CAN ONLY SHIP WITHIN THE CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES. HOWEVER, IF SOMEONE ELSE IN THE CONTINENTAL U.S. CAN SHIP TO SOMEONE OUTSIDE OF THE CONTINENTAL U.S. THAT WOULD BE APPRECIATED SO EVERYONE CAN BE INVOLVED.

There is only one rule...Take your time, because you only get ONE POST to respond with your answers.

*IN THE FIRST PICTURE THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT TRACKS AND ONE OF THE CREATURES IS MISSING A TOE.  I NEED TO KNOW WHAT BOTH CREATUES ARE AND WHO'S MISSING THE TOE.

*IN THE SECOND PICTURE I NEED TO KNOW WHAT THE CREATURE IS AND WHAT IT WAS DOING.

*THE THIRD PICTURE IS OF AN INDIVIDUAL HAIR I FOUND.  (IT IS FROM THE UNDER SIDE OF CREATURE)

*ONLY ONE OF THE PICTURES IS A DOMESTIC CREATURE.

Scat_1.jpg.d82535ef0a0031624e556f9adda16155.jpg

Scat_2.jpg.e5619f6d1820c7c8cd6f9e27e3511945.jpg

Scat_3.jpg.db28e55f38f9951d200ce27e88a48cf5.jpg

Track.jpg.ea3a6f6674c36b921807c7d5c21ca09f.jpg

Might as well start off this party....

First picture - bear and human...human missing a toe.

#2 - squirrel peeing in the snow.

#3 - deer

#4 - turkey poo

#5 - bunny poo

#6 - deer poo

#7 - bear poo

#8 - coyote poo

#9 - wolf track

#10 - deer track

1. Looks like a bear with one toe missing (bears have five toes) stepped on a wolf track or vise versa. The extra long toe nails make me suspicious that it could be domestic dog because wolf keep their nails wore down.

2. mink

3. Belly hair from a deer. Deer have hollow hair that is thick in fact I have floated a dead deer across water on one occasion.

4. porcupine scat.

5.elk scat.

6. deer scat.

7. bear scat.

8. coyote.

9. canine possibly wolf or could be one of your dogs.

10. deer usually bucks put down their secondary hooves. I dont have any size comparisons so its possible to be elk.

IN THE FIRST PICTURE THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT TRACKS AND ONE OF THE CREATURES IS MISSING A TOE.  I NEED TO KNOW WHAT BOTH CREATUES ARE AND WHO'S MISSING THE TOE.

- A big dog with a toe missing, and a human footprint.

*IN THE SECOND PICTURE I NEED TO KNOW WHAT THE CREATURE IS AND WHAT IT WAS DOING.

- Raccoon washing its hands in a small ice hole.

*THE THIRD PICTURE IS OF AN INDIVIDUAL HAIR I FOUND.  (IT IS FROM THE UNDER SIDE OF CREATURE)

- Porcupine quill

Raccoon poop

Rabbit poop

Constipated Rabbit poop

Skunk poop

Dog poop

Wolf print

1-Blackbear and a dog or coyote, coyote missing toe

2-Beaver looking for food

3-Deer

4-Turkey

5-Whitetail or Elk

6-Whitetail

7-Bear

8-Coyote

9-Big dog

10-Deer

After posting some of these photos I realized I could have done a little more to put some of them into perspective so instead of changing anything I gave out 1/2 points for what I thought was a reasonable answer.

Here are the answers with some pictures I thought would be helpful posted below.  The pictures below show the answers to #1 and what coyote/wolf scat looks like compared to fox scat in #8.

#1  Black Bear and a Wild Turkey...the Wild Turkey is missing the toe.  The rear of the Wild Turkey track is actually hiding one of the Black Bears toes. 

#2  Red Fox digging for mice...I watched this fox across the field doing this for almost an hour, it was actually pretty funny.  She had holes every where!

#3  Hair from lower body of a Whitetail Deer

#4  Ruffed Grouse droppings

#5  Loose Whitetail Deer droppings

#6  Clump of Whitetail Deer droppings

#7  Black Bear scat

#8  Red Fox scat

#9  95 lb. Yellow Lab

#10  Whitetail Deer

Here are the winners...

1st  Watcher of the Woods

2nd  Swede

3rd  oldfatguy

I will be mailing your winnings out in the next two weeks...Please PM me your addresses.  I already have Swede's address.

Thanks for participating everyone!

100_6066-b.jpg.fdde360f68155b2ce9cb3f14b8991f41.jpg

If you zoom in on the bear and turkey track you can actually see the texture of the turkey track inside the white lines.

The last scat picture here is of either a wolf of coyote, it can be hard to tell, but I had no tracks or anything else to go on.  DEFINATELY wolf or coyote!  I just wanted to post this picture to compare with the fox scat in #8.

100_6066-b.jpg.c77bc155e7d1f5fd61eb42c297c09ed0.jpg

Congratulations, Watcher and Swede and OFG!

Great contest, Snow Walker!  Now you know exactly how many of us are truly "armchair survivalists" and don't know rabbit poop from bear crap.  :blush:

This is an excellent way for us to learn things, by the way.  :yes:  It makes learning fun!  :thumbsup: 

I got your package yesterday, you sure as hell taped that thing together well!  It was easier to cut the box than the tape lol.

Inside was a camo Ribz Vest.  Thanks SW!  I'll surely use this hunting this year! 

PS- Awesome contest, and thank you for posting all this great content.

I got your package yesterday, you sure as hell taped that thing together well!  It was easier to cut the box than the tape lol.

Inside was a camo Ribz Vest.  Thanks SW!  I'll surely use this hunting this year! 

PS- Awesome contest, and thank you for posting all this great content.

You better put some pictures up of you using it!!!!!!!!

Glad you like it!