WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Watcherofthewoods

Snowshoes

Bob's right, aboid a large pack, so that you can utilize smaller snowshoes.  It should make walking more comfortable for your body size and dimensions.

well let us know how they turn out when global warming decides to bugger off for a while.

Usually you get what you pay for, but there are some cheap jems out there!!

Great thread here!!!  Let me add my recommendation for the MSR Denali as well, the wife and I have had ours now for prob'ly 15 years....they work well.  We have the add-on tails for ours.

NurkSS01.jpg

These are my snowshoes (the blue binding ones, anyway).  I love these because all you have to do is pull that rubber strap, and hook it over a little hook on the fastener, and you are laced in.  They come off equally quickly.  I borrowed one of Tess' shoes and put it at an angle so you can see the crampon/claw detail a little better.

NurkSS02.jpg

These are Tess' snowshoes.  She doesn't wear hers as often, so we opted for a cheaper (previous model year on clearance) shoe for her and a spare.  Her binding is just as reliable, but I don't think it goes on as quickly or easily as mine.  The tail extensions were interchangeable between the two different model years, and I suspect, looking at the new Denalis, they would fit on them as well.

We bought these, and then someone told us that MSR had gone out of the snowshoe business.  We then hurried up and bought a close out third pair, so that we would have spare parts for what would be a very difficult snowshoe to repair.  However, I'm happy that they are still in business...and boy I wouldn't mind one of those red pairs.

NurkSS04.jpg

NurkSS05.jpg

This is the fun part of snow shoeing.  Going over instead of slogging through.  If you were in heavy soft drifts, you couldn't move at all in the backcountry without snowshoes.  I'm wearing my Australian Outback heavy duster.  Seems to work well for snowshoeing.  I was a little surprised at that.

Thanks swede, it was a good excuse to get out and move around.  Temp was about 25F if I remember correctly.  I'd say there was about 16 inches on the ground and 3 to 4 foot drifts where it had drifted.

Guest blacksmith

I have made some survival snowshoes before out of canvas and willow worked grate 4 year we used them