WildSurvive Forum
Swede

Swede cuts trails

Guest Lead Dog

Swede, are you thinking of putting that crossbow to use?

I quit hunting deer a long time ago LD. I just provide a place for them to do their thing and I take delight in seeing them and taking pictures.

Uh Oh heres another old boy showed up. He looks like he tangled with long tang with all the scuff marks on him.

trailcam3013cr7.jpg

nice deer shot, looks like you have a few of them there ... and why wouldn't i want to run into you Swede ... you're one of the nicest people i've met  :D  :rofl:

Bucks will scent mark low hanging branches usually over scrapes with scent glands on their foreheads. This doe is standing up smelling those markings. If you notice the size of a deers nose you can see how keen of a scent ability they must have.

trailcam4007wb0.jpg

Nice size does passing in front of my trail cam.

trailcam4008qa3.jpg

Heres a shot of some wild turkies I took in the rain today on my cabin ground. Every thing was running all day in front of the comming cold and storm. Watch the animals and they will tell you of an oncomming storm.

sony2005im3.jpg

Thanks Lead dog.

Notice the size of the eyes reflecting from the flash in the first picture. This shows me their ability to see in the dark as well as they can.

In the turkey picture notice how they stand straight up like penquins to keep the rain running off their feathers. Its easy to forget these big animals can fly.

Guest Lead Dog

Thanks Lead dog.

In the turkey picture notice how they stand straight up like penquins to keep the rain running off their feathers. Its easy to forget these big animals can fly.

It is amazing to see them fly.  My brother and I were hiking a trail at Kettle Moraine State Park in Wisconsin.  We heard some hunters and their dogs not too far away and suddenly we had 15 turkeys flying over us!  8|  They weren't very high above us, maybe 20 feet off the ground.  But they were huge!  We were so shocked.

They are pretty skittish creatures around people and, other than this, I've only seen them at a distance.  I feel really fortunate to have seen them in flight.  :cool:

Hey Swede what trailcam do you use.

I have been thinking of getting a couple of IR ones but the cost a fortune here in rip off Briton.

Would you be able to write a review on it?

I use the wild view digital with video setting. This my second one the first didnt work for crap but this one is working great. It seems they have trouble with a large percentage of them out of the factory so you have to just keep taking them back till you get a good one.

The trick to a good set up is to set it looking up or down the trail because if they are moving quickly they will pass the camera before the camera trips if their moving right to left or vice versa.I bought this one for 100 bucks but you have to buy your own sd card.

http://www.nativeoutdoors.com/scoutingcameras.html 

I had to dig my way in to my cabin with my skid loader.I dug through the snow(sometimes a little too deep) to uncover the gravel road bed. Birds require rocks and gravel in their gizzards to grind the food for digestion.When theres is heavy snow cover the birds find it hard to find gravel. Thats why you see them on the highway so much in the winter.

cabin1011rv3.jpg

buck decides to show his gratitude by trimming my blue spruce

cabin1012sp0.jpg

I put out some shell corn for the deer and birds. Place a few small piles instead of one big one to keep the deer from fighting over one pile. There is a pecking order of dominant deer in the bunch and if a lower class member gets in ahead of a dominate member they will stand up on their  hind legs and kick like a boxer. You can hear the thud as they kick so their not playing.

cabin1013sh0.jpg

I keep my sunflower seeds in a metal trash can to keep racoons and mice and squirrels from chewing into the container.

cabin1014dc2.jpg

OOps look whos hidding here our cabin rabbit. They like to stay near the cabin to be safe from coyotes. A rabbit sitting like this during the day is called a "set" They will remain motionless till the last moment to avoid detection. When the rabbits remain on their sets to the last second or dont run at all its called "sitting tight"

cabin1016pk6.jpg

He had his eye on me but he knew who I was. Hes been around there for a couple of years. He was right across from the deck as usual.

Guest HazeyWolf

Swede, you're a beneficent King...  Thanks for the great pics and for sharing your love of nature and kindly stewardship for wildlife with us... its touching and inspirational, I take great pleasure in reading about and witnessing your enjoyable adventures and occasional follies  I'm forever learning something new from you... 

Well thank you HazeyWolf man of wisdom and seeker of knowledge.

Oh the names you picked for your self were already taken and Holly matriarch clan babe tribe mother and stuff has spoken and man of wisdom it is.Sorry. :whistle:

Guest HazeyWolf

Well thank you HazeyWolf man of wisdom and seeker of knowledge.

Oh the names you picked for your self were already taken and Holly matriarch clan babe tribe mother and stuff has spoken and man of wisdom it is.Sorry. :whistle:

Well, I guess I'd better take off my matriarchal clan babe tribe mother outfit then... shucks... I kinda like these pendulous protrusions though... fun to play with 'em...

Thank you thankyouverymuch Blue. ALWAYS carry a camera. You never know you might see Britney Spears without any underware. :D