WildSurvive Forum
Swede

Swede cuts trails

The deer came to the cabin before dark to eat the corn but did NOT like my truck there.By the time one got close enough for a picture the plastic over the windows on my cabin porch were steaming over. Another can you find the deer in this picture.

cabin1018fi1.jpg

Heres a bob white quail that came to the road looking for food and gravel

cabin3003xv2.jpg

These are all deer tracks on my lane. The deer "yard up" in the winter. This means they gather up in large heards in an area that has food and water and shelter. These areas are called "deer yards"It looks to be around 25-30 deer in this yard heard.

cabin3004jz0.jpg

Even though its been a few days since the snow storm and the snow has settled some its still very deep. I wouldnt try this with out four wheel drive.

cabin3006ys6.jpg

Heres some shots from inside my cabin

cabin3007re3.jpg

cabin3008hy2.jpg

Illinois State bird the male Cardinal

cabin3010ms3.jpg

Heres an example of how deer paw the snow away to fine something to eat. This is the area by my front gate. I dont cut the grass late in the season to leave a place for the deer to get a few bites of green grass. The grass was bright green under the snow.

melt001nt7.jpg

Heres an example of the lay of the land around my area. This type of crop fields with areas of timber seem to be ideal for white tail deer.

melt004ix9.jpg

Heres a grain elevator popular in our area for farmers to either store or sell their grain. These are spaced through the area to make them in easy reach for the farmers. The hugh white pile is a pile of shell corn covered with heavy plastic canvas because the bins are full. The grain has to be dried down with large gas fed hot air blown through the grain to keep it from spoiling.

melt005vu7.jpg

We are having temps in the 50s here this week making the snow melt under way. Here I am at the car wash after four wheeling at the farm to retirve my trail camera. I picked up a small deer along the highway that had been hit by a car to put out for coyote bait for my trail camera. Hopefully I will have some coyote pictures for ya soon.

melt006eb3.jpg

Christmas Moose

457dc99a000d9f290000254mp3.jpg

I have never seen snow melt so fast as it did here in the last two days. Nintey percent of an 18 inch is gone causing creeks and the Spoon river here to rise quickly. These pictures show the ice almost gone.

melt007aa6.jpg

melt008yp8.jpg

melt009ul3.jpg

melt010oy4.jpg

:wave:

Heres the poor unfortunate creature that was bagged by a buick. The flash refused to work so I totally missed the coyotes that devoured the entire rear quater in one night.

deer002qh1.jpg

Reminder to self DONT point the camera south west.Heres the hawk looks like a coopers hawk from the size of him. Of course it could have been some alieans from that space craft floating in the sun light that ate the deer. 8|

deer006jl2.jpg

Not much left of the deer in one night eh. The coyotes drug the deer out farther.

deer008vi9.jpg

Your right Blue the coopers doesnt have white feathers on its legs. Its a red tail with white faze colors. :thumbup:

Here they are slinkin up on the deer. If you look close theres four coyotes in the picture. You can see two and two sets of eyes out in the dark beyond the flash. This shows the pecking order of the coyote pack. It looks to be a large male comming up first. They didnt eat any on the carcas because the flash must have scared them off.The date is one day off but the time is right. They look cautious because they could smell my tracks.

coyote0024is.jpg

Heres a deer that some one shot either with a bow or deer slug that ran off and died. It happens way too much around here because the hunters dont take the time to look or track a deer unless it has big horns. This shows what coyotes can do to a carcass in just a couple of days.

tree002bq6.jpg

Guest taken by the wind...

~ nothing goes to waste in nature! Awsome images Swede!

Swede, I absolutely love your pictures.  Even the graphic ones, they are part of the circle of life...

Swede, I absolutely love your pictures.  Even the graphic ones, they are part of the circle of life...

Holly! THAT is SO pagan!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

No it's not!  It's Disney!  From the Lion King!  :rofl:

~ Disney is SO Pagan!  :rofl:

Ill agree the graphic ones are just that but you know what if your not prepared to see nature in the raw like this maybe your not prepared for SURVIVAL.Not you of course Holly. :kiss:

tree002bq6.jpg

Those coyotes have mad a very clean job of that. Am i seeing right, have they left the hide intact? If so is the hide usable or has it been to badly ripped.

Oh and who is mad enough to walk up to a moose and but a hat on it. They kill more people than bear kill, i don't think i would be that brave

HERE'S A GREAT MOOSE STORY---AND A GOOD START 4 CHRISTMAS!

When this little guy was young; he lost his mother too soon.

So the Fish and Game brought him to Wendall and Debbie. They asked them to get him raised to a safe age to turn him loose again. So they bottle fed and took care of him; after a while they fed him with their cows.

So last Spring he was a year old ... and it was time to turn him back into the wild. They opened the gate and off he went.

Stayed gone all summer; then this fall he was back with the cows. He really thinks he is a cow for now all was happy to see him as he is pretty friendly.

He loves honey buns and will eat them right out of your mouth.  Wendall and Debbie live right up in the mountains so it came time to bring the cows down.

Well the moose was lonely all by himself so he headed down to find another herd of cows to hang with.

The neighbors called about a week later and asked Wendall to please come and get his Moose. So he headed out with a honey bun, bucket of grain and the horse trailer and brought him back home.

The moose is free to go anytime he wants but is choosing to stay put for now. Surely, come spring he will start to feel a bit like a male Moose and take off . but, for now he is happy.

458577f200034567000073ddz7.jpg