WildSurvive Forum
Swede

Swede cuts trails

Those coyotes have mad a very clean job of that. Am i seeing right, have they left the hide intact? If so is the hide usable or has it been to badly ripped.

I rolled the hide back to look for a hole from the bullet or arrow that killed her. There were a couple of holes where the coyoted chewed around the wound probably because of the blood in the hide itsself. Otherwise they did an excellent job of skinning the deer. An excellent observation Adi. Finding something like this in a SURVIVAL situation could provide good emergency clothing coardage mittins boots and blanket. Thanks.

Apart from the meat they have left many very usefully parts of the deer, the bones, antlers if there were any and even hooves can all still be used. Did they leave the brains?

Looking at the image they look to have taken the back straps but i cam see at least one leg intact so there is some sinew for cordage.

Yes quite a find.

I forgot about the bones also. You could make tools out of the bones even a needle for sewing and deer hide is noted for cordage strips especially green like that because as it dries it will tighten up.

The skull is still intact although they tried to knaw through and they eventually will. Theres plenty of meat scraps left to boil into a soup and the bone marrow is very high in protien.

The hide laid out and a slit cut in the center for your head. Fold the rest front and back and tie the sides together leaving space for your arms and its a good parka.Ive heard that they would smoke the inside of the hide over a fire to slow the decay of the skin also.

Theres always scraps of fat on the inside of the hide that could be eaten raw for good replacement of body fat and could be used for skin treatment for frost bite or sunburn.

Heres a couple of coyotes comming up but the carcass has already been drug off. Why the camera didnt take any pictures of that I have no idea. These cameras are famous for being unreliable.

cam004aa8.jpg

When the air tempature is warmer than the surface of the water and the humidity is high Spoon River

fog002ch6.jpg

Guest taken by the wind...

~ awsome pics Swede! I love that mystical looking water! It looks like the Lady of the Lake should be rising up any second with Excaliber!  8|

hey... that would make a cool picture, a shiny sword in the middle of that mist. There should be a way to do that....  ;)  All those Goth folks would buy a print like that!  :greed:

Swede do you put the trail cam out cold or do you bate the site with something i.e. salt lick?

A pile of shell corn works really well for deer but the most important is to place the camera on a well used trail. Look for fresh tracks on the trail to see if it is being used. Most established trails are used year round but sometimes winter and summer trails change because of different patterns in the deers behavior. Trails leading to natural feeding areas like a grain field are the best.

I have found placing the camera looking down the trail as opposed to accross the trail is best. Sometimes the animal will move past the camera too fast for the sensores to detect the target.Trail cameras are notiorus for being unrelaible and trial and error will improve your chances. Digital cameras are best because changing weather conditions greatly effect the quality of the pictures.Im useing the "wild view digital" costs 100 bucks American and uses four "c" size batteries. Dont skimp on the cheaper batteries.

You can place something shiney in the cameras field of view to get the animal to "pose" because they will investigate the object.

My grand daughter on high school rifle team.

rifleteam20062007022000uu7.jpg

Junior rotc climbing the wall

5ud6.jpg

Thats her going over the wall

4lr8.jpg

What do you think of this Gear junky

tiffiny1au5.jpg

Here Adi is a demonstration of bait for your trail cam. To bad the deer in front of the camera didnt have horns or I would have got a great shot of them.Its about 8 in the morning my 24 hr. clock is 12 hours off.

I think Ill call her "knock knee" :hugegrin:

cam004wh4.jpg

If you would have been hiding here you could have kissed this deer. Thats her front sholder in the lower corner of the picture.

cam005ks1.jpg

Ah a bird watcher. :peace:

cam006gv6.jpg

Heres the baddest buck in the woods :D

cam001sb5.jpg

Remember this buck? We managed to find one of his antlers from the right side. Look close and compare the two its his. :hugegrin:

This is an antler shed the buck is still alive and well. :thumbsup:

The sharp curve on the end is a dead give away.

deer016qe0.jpg

antler002zj0.jpg

Guest Lead Dog

Swede, it is awesome that you are getting to know individual deer at your place.

Shes a doll SK and shes up for grabs. Gearjunky has been looking into jrotc or the military. :grin:

Swede, I know you're proud of your granddaughter! 

gearjunky and Survivor Kid, do you really think Swede will let you within 20 feet of his pride and joy???  LOLOLOLOLOL!!!

Good shooting Swede.  You boys will have to train hard I'm afraid to even get near to her.  She doesn't look as though she needs granddad for help. 

Great stuff Swede i will have to invest in one of those trail cams. I see yours has a standard flash, i have been looking at the ones with IR flash. I need to go for this opption as i dont own my own land and can only place the camera in woods with public access, i dont want people seeing the flash and running off with my camera. Although i would not be placeing it that close to footpaths. The trouble is they cost arround £500 over here thats almost $900 and i know that is very expensive. I might look into haveing one shipped over from the US.

Boy 900 bucks its almost worth taking a chance on getten it stolen. You can buy 9 of the ones I use for that money .If you want I can send you one of the ones I use there 100 bucks here. Was up with just ordering it off of ebay?