WildSurvive Forum
Swede

Swede cuts trails

The sun was shining on the camera but heres a big buck if you can see him.

cam3012al3.jpg

This buck would score close to a boone and crocket trophy

cam3013qr0.jpg

Heres a smaller buck sometimes called a basket buck because the antlers form a basket

cam3017nt3.jpg

Two bucks with the does. This tells me the rut must be about over because the larger buck would have driven the smaller one off.

cam3007va1.jpg

Looks like Im feeding some racoons also as a family group is still together.

cam3025hj6.jpg

Guest HazeyWolf

Great pics, Swede... what a great managerie!

After taking the big buck picture looking at the camera into a photo program trying to remove the white cast from frost on the lense I realized just as the camera went off the buck snorted. If you look close theres a blast of steam from his nose.

Rained all day so we took a road trip down old Spoon River to Bernadot a tiny river town south of us, Here is the old gris mill dam thats still there in the river

bernadot004eq8.jpg

bernadot003bm6.jpg

shot down river

bernadot006hm8.jpg

Just south of Bernadot up out of the river bottom is an old World War two German prisioner of war camp where they brought thousands of German soldiers. These walls (there are three like this) is where the train cars full of prisioners would unload. These walls have been subject to grafiti for years with history preserved for all to see.

bernadot008eh9.jpg

This camp covered thousands of acres and the concrete structures are still there today. Dont look too close. ;)

Our area is full of open pit strip mining areas mostly shut down now because of high sulpher coal. There was a program to reclaim these mining areas back to farming adding to the cost of strip mineing. This is an old strip mine lake that was left in its original state. These lakes can reach 100 foot deep straight down sides making them dangerous for swimming. There is little run off into these lakes making the water mostly ground water.

bernadot001ka2.jpg

Road trip to the Mississippi River.Lots of Bald Eagles over there grabbing dead shad off the river. Shad die out in hugh numbers during the winter. Heres a young Bald Eagle.

eagle014qf3.jpg

eagle009cz2.jpg

Lock and dam no.18 Walleys winter in the deep water below the dam in the winter and many fishermen come to fish for them here.Useally the river is frozen over this time of year.

eagle006dn8.jpg

It is so awesome seeing all those bald eagles.  I've only seen an eagle in the wild once in my life.  It was so awesome!

Guest Lead Dog

Very cool, Swede!  :cool:  We'll be heading to Starved Rock in a couple weeks to check out the bald eagles there.  They like to hang out near the dam too.  Truly amazing creatures.

Guest taken by the wind...

I love these pictures swede! thanks for sharing!

2007 ice storm

The road down to my cabin solid ice. I went back home and got my quad even with it I slid over to the side of the road.

ice002bb7.jpg

On the way back to get my quad I spot a flock of wild turkeys right across from my town.

ice005wb7.jpg

Shot down my road.

ice009bd0.jpg

My wild plum trees that I make jelly from that I send to Bigblue :disgust:

ice010zg3.jpg

ice011nt8.jpg

Swede, how much ice is that?  From here it looks like at least an inch! 

We had more ice but the temps didnt drop as fast as they thought so we hovered just above freezing and a slow melt was under way making the salt on the highways work.

There was about an inch left on every thing by the time I got out to the cabin.

One of the streams that runs through our property at the cabin.

tracks0113wx.jpg

some of our oak timber at the farm.

tracks0179jl.jpg

You can see the bottom ground through the trees that will be planted with 6200 trees this spring.

tracks0197fx.jpg

Well lookie here what I saw near my property.

tracks0163nv.jpg

Guest Lead Dog

Swede, awesome pics as usual!  You are lucky to have a bald eagle at your property.  There must be plenty of fish nearby.