WildSurvive Forum
Swede

Swede cuts trails

Actually theres a road kill deer in the ditch right there.They will feed on dead animals when they find them. The shad on the Mississippi river die by the thousands in the winter. With the river frozen over the eagles congragate behind the lock and dams. The shad are hard to get this year because for the most part the river remains open making the shad hard to find. Just another problem from the global warming. So the eagles wander afield looking for any thing to eat. It isnt uncommon to see them in the last few years this far inland as their numbers have increased dramatically. Spoon river here remains open also but we have no shad to speak of here. They fly the river systems any way looking for something to eat.

No danger of them starving at this time with so much road kill and the shad should pick up from now on.It remains one of the most beautiful sights watching an eagle with six or seven foot wing span floating in the air hardly flapping a wing.We watched one fly from horizon to horizon with out so much of one flap of his wings.

My latest project making a triditional praire grass shelter somewhat like the local native Americans. Im having a problem with my fake grass. This is what they call raffia used in making wreathes and flower displays. It seems to be too stiff. Any suggestions?

shelter006ay7.jpg

Broom Straw works well and grows all along roadsides.  Looks darker in the winter, but if mashed by heavy snows or rains, it is hard to use.  Kind of looks like grass that is similar to wheat standing, but shorter.

In reality the grass is gathered in bunches and twisted then tied on one end to a long limb.  The opposite end is trimmed to use as a floor broom, hence Broom Straw.

I decided to go with prarie grass. Its slow but Im laid up with a bad knee so it gives me somthin to do.

shelter013ar2.jpg

Swede - Sorry to hear of the bum knee. That's a great project. Actually raffia comes from a type of palm tree grown in Madagasgar. I believe there is a similiar product made from the inner bark of the Hickory tree. It makes for great lasking material. You can spilt each strand into many thinner strands than twist them into cordage, or use as is.

Progress report>I had to move the shelter to the other end of the sterafoam because too much heat from the tea candle inside the hut.

I need to finish the sides and do something with the peaks of the roof. Im thinking of 1/8 in. by 1/4 strips to cover the ragged edges. Ill see whats available when I go back to Walley World and try to figure out what to do with the yard around the shelter.

I left the peak open for the chimney. I may burn incense inside the hut to simulate a camp fire.

shelter014ka1.jpg

Ive got to figure out what to do with the front yard yet

shelter029yy0.jpg

A little smoke comming out of the chimney but the incense burns too fast.

shelter028ib5.jpg

Nite time :yawn:

shelter019we8.jpg

A little sand and a log for the front and I am moving in.  Oh I need a hammock while you're at it Swede.  ;)

That is pretty cool; and what an idea - how did you come up with it?

I just think of something and build em. Make adjustments as I go along.

shelter042at3.jpg

I had to cut and glue each piece of prarie grass like shingles. Good thing I was laid up. :unsure:

shelter044ix0.jpg

The back wall comes out to put incense on the burner you can see insiide but the ones I bought burn too fast. The smoke comes out of the chimney though.

Hummm sand that wont work it will fall off on Mrs Swedes floor and THAT will not work. So we need a leasure setting. Im thinking I need some rocks around my campfire just in the front and sides to shine the light more on the shelter and not in your face.Im gonna look for a different votive cup for the fire shorter I think.

Hammoc will be a problem Id have to hand build that. I gotta come up with some kind of ground cover. I bought some moss but its pretty flamable. Any suggestions on turf. Maybe outdoor carpet that looks like grass?

Woops I see in the picture some hot glue string hanging off the eve :P

Guest taken by the wind...

A little sand and a log for the front and I am moving in.  Oh I need a hammock while you're at it Swede.   ;)

That is pretty cool; and what an idea - how did you come up with it?

~ You're forgetting a couple of waiters LOST... with some little tiny drinks with umbrellas in them!  :thumbsup: Wow Swede! I wanna shrink down and go on vacation there! That is Super cute! I can't let my little girl see it or I'll have to make her one for her Polly dolls! LOL!  :P :cool:

Swede!  It's so cute!  You are so "crafty", my friend!  :kiss: :yes:

~ I know Holly! Doesn't that Night Time picture just comfort you right now in the middle of Winter! LOL! It is SO warm and inviting! Let's all go to the Bahamas! Woo Hooo!  :thumbsup:

Taken, you have NO idea how awesome that sounds!  To heck with hiking around in the freezing temps, let's you and me go to the Bahamas instead!  :thumbsup:

~ Let's just go to Swede's and sit in front of that little hut with the incense burning and the candle lit! I think we'd have more fun there! LOL!  :P :hugegrin:

They have been taken off the endangered species list SK. They gather in flocks of near one hundred sometimes at the lock and dams on the Mississippi river.

This is just as I found it after the snow storm. Mrs Swedes addition on a tree next to our cabin.

sno003ab1.jpg