WildSurvive Forum
Swede

Swede cuts trails

Grab one of those leaves Holly.  8|  :woot:

Speaking of leaves I wonder what jungle has leaves half the size of your hut?

Guest taken by the wind...

~ it looks like a tiny Shaman's hut... 8|  All spiritual, and sacred, Swede.....

WOW :naughty: :D im seeing a whole new side of you holly

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SK!  Close your eyes, young man!!!   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Grab one of those leaves Holly.   8|   :woot:

Speaking of leaves I wonder what jungle has leaves half the size of your hut?

What are those big frondy looking leaves that Tarzan is always running through?  Elephant Ears?

My friend and neighbor found both antlers with a little squirrel chewing from this buck yesterday. Therefore this buck made it through deer season and should be bigger next season.

deer005pf2.jpg

Spoon River at my town nearly out of its banks and bank to bank ice comming down.

iceout2012yy7.jpg

Guest Lead Dog

Looks like the river here except the ice has melted.  The water is running over parts of the trail I mush and hike on and has forced most of the deer into the fringes where they are closer to the streets and homes.

Heres kind of a rare event. The setting sun is casting a glow on snow flakes in the air as the clouds clear to the west.

flood006wp9.jpg

~ Wow Swede... that is awe inspiring. 8|

What an absolutely beautiful sunset! :thumbup: What a purple-colored, magickal twilight! :thumbsup:

What a wonderful "in between" time pic. I love the in between times! B)

Well we got back from our road trip. We went south to Springfield the capital of Illinois and went through the Abe Lincolin musem.We worked our way through the city till we were right down town near the capital building and found the musem. We parked in the parking plaza and walked over to the building. I knew this wasnt going to be fun because My knees were killing me BEFORE we got inside.

We bought our tickets and a guy gave us some directions. There were security every where and they seemed to be watching me. I guess I shouldnt have worn my camo. :P

We went into the first display. It was Abes child hood home with Abe reading by the fire in their log home. Abes dad was asleep in bed and sure enough he was snoreing under his covers. Mrs Swede decides to see whats under the blanket so she pulls the blanket down and sets of a loud alarm. I guess she was going to check his vitals or something. Now the security people are following us around. :o

Well we worked our way through the different displays till we got to the display where Abe got shot in the head at the theater. I yelled up at Mrs Lincolin and said" outside of that Mrs Loncoln how did you like the play?" :woot:

After that things got a little crazy and we left the musem. :scared:

It was still early so we drove south and it was pretty dull so I took a right and went west. Still nothing so I took another right and ended up in Dubuque Iowa. We missed our turn and ended up in Wisconsin.Than I looked in a phone book for a place to stay and I found this place north of Dubuque called "Paradice Valley Fantasy suites" WOOO HOOO sounds just what I was looking for. I called and got a room. It was a bed and breakfast.

We finally found the place back up in the hills and valleys. Thats pretty rough country up there like smaller mountains like in Kentucky.

roadtripfeb015bk2.jpg

It was a pretty good shelter and we managed pretty good.

roadtripfeb017vy5.jpg

Mrs Swede does some window peeking.

roadtripfeb016bq0.jpg

We had a water fall in our shelter.

roadtripfeb001yy9.jpg

roadtripfeb003tq6.jpg

roadtripfeb005yo7.jpg

Mrs Swede gets into the fire water.

We head back to Galena Illinois where there are a bunch of small shops on a narrow downtown street. Quite a tourist center in the summer months. We found a candy shop called "CANDY KITCHEN and bought 46 dollars worth of candy :woot:

candy003vo1.jpg

Some pictures of the country in the upper corner of north west Illinois.

roadtripfeb034ts8.jpg

roadtripfeb030ho6.jpg

roadtripfeb018bl3.jpg

~ Swede! You need to shake Mrs. Swede's hand for me! LOL! I don't blame her for wanting to check out what ole Abe's Dad was packin' underneath the covers...    :P :naughty: :whistle:  She was probably wondering if he had a Lincoln Log under there!   :woot: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

and don't you DARE edit me! LOL!

Mrs Swede scores her first antler shed. WOOOOHOOOO :thumbup:

Swede gets skunked. :'( :cry:

antler002cq6.jpg

Here are the wet lands I created when making my trails at the farm. Nearly fifty wood ducks took off from this wet land. There were a few pairs of mallard ducks there also.

wetland002rm9.jpg

wetland003gb4.jpg

how did you create the wetlands? Divert some water from elsewhere. Boy are you going to create a great new habitat! WHOO HOO! Out quaddin! I saw a few days ago that you got skunked! Like really skunked?

Here's a great solution for gittin rid of that skunk smell:

equal parts of hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar and mix with a good smelling lemon dish wash detergent to act as a catalyst. Scrub down and enjoy your new lemony scent!

This area was a wet land to begin with and was drained by my father years ago to provide more pasture land to the working farm. We sold all the cattle years ago and it was my wish if I ever got the chance to fill the drainage areas back in. I did that last fall when I cut the trails through the timber and brush on the farm.

As you can see most of the trees are locust and hedge that will spring up first as the land moves through a natural reclamation process. Eventually the indigenous trees will dominate the area. When I was in high school I came to this area of the farm only to see my Dad had bull dozed it clear of all trees and brush. I cant put to words the feeling that came over me when I saw it. Fourty five years later I got the chance to put it back and I did. ::)

My Dad said when the swamp drained he saw creatures come out of it he had never seen before. That swamp had been there for who knows centuries maybe.I cant blame my father he needed the land to make a living and raise my brothers and sisters and myself. Now we dont need that land now so I put it back like it was. :thumbup:

I have 210 acres to repair and the next step is to plant 11.3 acres of bottom farm land with 6200 trees. :yes: I will keep you posted as the journey continues. :peace:

Good on ya! Good farmland is priceless when it's your income, but now that it's your hobby to stay busy, what a story! What comes around goes around. Yeah, keep the progress logged. Bet you'll have lots of use for that fancy microphone in that area soon!

If you notice the bank on the far side of the wet land is covered in trees and brush. Im going to build a comfortable blind on that  hill side to watch the life return to the swamp. :thumbup: By comfortable I mean recliners screens and water and bug proof. :P

Im waiting for the turkies to start gobbling right now. Ill get some turkey talk soon. :)