WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mistwalker

Birthday Hike With Alayna

Yesterday was my birthday, I decided to spend the afternoon and evening hiking with Alayna and working on her track recognition since it has rained so much lately.

On the way in there was a young doe in a field beside the gravel road. Alayna got her first chance to just sit and watch a deer graze. On the way out another young doe just stood right on the side of the road as we very slowly drove past. I ‘m glad it was at the end of the evening, Alayna was tired and so she just sat there with her head propped on the truck door looking face to face with the deer as we drove past it. The after we passed it she turn and says “daddy, daddy! Did you see that?! It was right by me!”

DSC_4546.jpg

DSC_4553.jpg

DSC_4561.jpg

The clouds in the distance on our way in, and a shot of the rising moon.

DSC_4574.jpg

DSC_4570.jpg

Some English Thistle

DSC_4583.jpg

DSC_4581.jpg

The contrast of light in the open areas and deep shadows under the canopy made pics of flora and fungi a challenge at times, sometimes I had to use the flash. There was a lot of fungi after the rains so now things are looking more normal.

DSC_4576.jpg

IMG_6995.jpg

DSC_4627.jpg

DSC_4647.jpg

Alayna found deer tracks and turkey tracks. And then I showed her a few other tracks she missed.

DSC_4623.jpg

DSC_4609.jpg

DSC_4659.jpg

DSC_4661.jpg

DSC_4660.jpg

She also found some young peaches, and some water to ripple.

DSC_4615.jpg

DSC_4592.jpg

DSC_4606.jpg

DSC_4607.jpg

IMG_7009.jpg

IMG_7011.jpg

IMG_7013.jpg

Another shot of the moon between the trees.

DSC_4612.jpg

We saw a hawk, but couldn’t get close enough to get any really clear pics.

DSC_4587.jpg

More fungi

DSC_4639.jpg

DSC_4632.jpg

DSC_4645.jpg

IMG_7020.jpg

The cutting tools…all except the folder in my pocket.

DSC_4651.jpg

Hiking, looking for tracks, and throwing rocks is thirsty work!

DSC_4603.jpg

IMG_7019.jpg

IMG_7018.jpg

The sun was getting low, time to head back.

DSC_4658.jpg

DSC_4656.jpg

DSC_4654.jpg

On the drive out we stopped by one of my favorite fields to watch the sunset. Alayna ran up the road a ways to “get closer to the sunset” lol, I love how kids think.

DSC_3157.jpg

DSC_3163.jpg

DSC_3169.jpg

And last, a shot of the moon at sunset, taken with a quick shutter speed to reduce the reflectivity.

DSC_3165forumpost.jpg

It was a great birthday, and a great day out with Alayna. I hope you guys enjoy the pics half as much as I enjoyed the day!

Mist, these are great pics.  Alayna is so cute in her little camo shirt and camo pants!  :grin: 

Mist, these are great pics.  Alayna is so cute in her little camo shirt and camo pants!  :grin: 

Thanks Holly, yeah I got tired of her getting all the bright colored clothes stained and bought her some clothes just for our outings in the woods. I need to get her a few more shirts in earth tones and some new boots but the pants are Wrangler camo cargoes I found on clearance for $5.00 a pair so I bought her three pair including 2 she could grow into.

I enjoy all the pictures you post mistwalker...my time of year is approaching and then I'll be doing the same.

I have a little idea for Alayna, get some of that plaster mix for making casts of those tracks, I bet she would LOVE that!

Here is my little one in camo when we called her "mini me"...

On another subject check into this site, I think you might like it.  I say this because I like your knife and also like the work this guy does, I can see his work in your blade.

www.bigrockforge.com

Great shots again Mist. However I have a word of caution here. As a wildsurvivor maybe I should pass on some advice I learned the hard way. You should never dress your children in camo especially for a walk in the woods. I know in you guys situation its Ok but if the kids arent fully supervised like sending them out to play finding a lost child can be made tougher if they are camouflaged. Add the fact that they may get tired and lay down some where making them almost impossible to spot unless you get close enough to step on them.

Just a word of caution from a survival perspective.  :nop:

I enjoy all the pictures you post mistwalker...my time of year is approaching and then I'll be doing the same.

I have a little idea for Alayna, get some of that plaster mix for making casts of those tracks, I bet she would LOVE that!

Here is my little one in camo when we called her "mini me"...

On another subject check into this site, I think you might like it.  I say this because I like your knife and also like the work this guy does, I can see his work in your blade.

www.bigrockforge.com

Thanks, I hadn't even thought of that, I'll have to get some of that stuff. Your little girl is adorable.

Some nice knives there, I'll have to check that guy out, thanks!

Great shots again Mist. However I have a word of caution here. As a wildsurvivor maybe I should pass on some advice I learned the hard way. You should never dress your children in camo especially for a walk in the woods. I know in you guys situation its Ok but if the kids arent fully supervised like sending them out to play finding a lost child can be made tougher if they are camouflaged. Add the fact that they may get tired and lay down some where making them almost impossible to spot unless you get close enough to step on them.

Just a word of caution from a survival perspective.  :nop:

Yes, I know, and your point is taken, I just figured the white shoes and colorful bracelets would be enough to help me keep track of her and I was just really tired of getting fussed at about her staining all her light, bright, and colorful clothes while out with me.

Glad to see you had a great day out in the woods with Alayna. Great Pics my friend.

Thanks Tonk, it was a great day out.