WildSurvive Forum
Muddy Pete

Muddy Pete learns to cook. Mad skillz

I love to cook. Problem is, I don't know how. But I'm going to learn. Won't you join me?

The command center.

P7150002.jpg

The weapons.

P7150006.jpg

~ You have too much iron! It's ok for camping, but You need an good skillet (Nonstick), and a sauce  pan. (Easy clean up) Some of that stuff looks rusted. I pretty much cook everything I eat in a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray or some olive oil.  The rest of the stuff I grill. I do use my oven to bake my kids a frozen pizza here and there.  :thumbup:  As soon as I'm done with the skillet, I rinse it out in the sink (it's nonstick so it's a cinch to clean) and I put it right back on the stove, so I don't have to get it out when I Need it again.

~ well you have to get the rust off before you season it. That's a lot of work. If not, everything you cook will taste like rust.  If I were you, I'd toss it in the garbage. (But I don't eat muffins either.) LOL

~ well you have to get the rust off before you season it. That's a lot of work. If not, everything you cook will taste like rust. 

That one was a freebie someone gave me. I'll get it cleaned up. I love cast iron cooking.

That one was a freebie someone gave me. I'll get it cleaned up. I love cast iron cooking.

~ Well, cast iron cooking is one thing, but cleaning a sink full of cast iron cookware is another. Plus they say not to use soap on it, and I have a serous problem with that, Plus it's so heavy it bends the little racks in the dishwasher. PLUS, I can't pick it up with one hand. So.... I'm not a fan. And unless it's seasoned right (which I never seem to be able to do, everything sticks to it... especially eggs. You put in one egg, and you get half an egg out.)

I'll agree with taken, cast iron is a BITCH to season. And you can't do it overnight, it takes YEARS. I have two cast iron skillets that are basically "non-stick" now because of the years of seasoning. And then you get your sister to stay with you for TWO days and hits that damn thing with steel wool and TOTALLY erased about 5 years of seasoning! So, like Taken, just use a good quality non-stick pan. She seems to have my same MO with cooking! I little non-stick spray (or if you like olive oil, just get one of those pump sprayers you can pour olive oil in), fry it up and rinse it out. 80% of my meals are bbq and a pan. I'll bbq some meat and then saute some veggies or potatoes. The next day I'll slice up the leftover meat and fry it up with some veggies over some steamed rice.

Hey Taken, lets put up a tutorial thread on "pan" meals.

If you read some of Misty's "outings" threads, he does that "one pan" meal stuff alot too.

~ Hey, Muddy, what's all that stuff behind the cookware? Is that the ingredient list you have on hand?  :unsure:

Groceries. I was unpacking when I stopped to take the picture. 

Muddy, I like your style!  I don't mind having a bunch of dishes and pots and pans, because I clean as I cook, so when dinner is ready, the only thing I have to clean up are the dinner dishes.  Ant loves watching me in the kitchen.  He says I'm super-organized and it's a joy to watch me cook.  I do love cooking for that man!  :love:

Ant is a good cook himself, and so is his dad.  :yes:  I'm just "average", but I do enjoy cooking for people who aren't fussy and who love to eat.  :grin:

Muddy Pete, the first "rule of engagement" is to do easy recipes first.  It will be discouraging to you if you tackle a really complicated recipe, then you don't even like the way the food tastes when you're done.  Read through the recipes, and pick out the ones that have the ingredients in them that you really like.  Do you like blueberries?  Then you'll love making a blueberry crumble recipe.  If you hate curry, don't make anything with curry in it because you won't be pleased with it, no matter how good the recipe is.  :nono:

Cook to please yourself at first.  That way, you'll really enjoy the fruits of your labor until you become more confident in your mad skillz and can tackle some different recipes to feed your unwary roommates and friends.  :grin:

I made a Hungarian Goulash when I first learned to cook.  It smelled so heavenly, my two neighbors in the apartment downstairs from me came knocking at my door, holding bowls and utensils in their hands.  They said "We don't know what you're cooking, but it smells so good, we want some!"  THAT is the highlight of any cook's career!  :woot:

I gave up on cast iron for every day cooking but its not just cast iron that sticks. My Grandmother made an art out of cooking on cast iron. The "no soap" thing on cast iron skillets is not necessary we did it all the time. Theres a ton of non stick junk out there and it seems price doesnt make it any better. Finding one that doesnt warp and bend with heat is tough. Some we had warped in the center and left it high and dry in the middle and all the cooking oil went to the sides. Walmart has a good selection but its a crap shoot getting a good one. I look for the ones with a lid.

Todays meats are tough to get any flavor out of because its all production line livestock. Feed lot cows and confinement pigs, chicken and turkey. Making good gravy separates the cooks from the beginners. Remember gourmet is French for small portion.  :P 

I found my copy of Joy of Cooking. I think I'll start at the first chapter and work forwards. I like how they have a whole section on proper silverware and table arrangements. I've always felt the knives, spoons and forks should be free to arrange themselves and not be bound by convention.

I found my copy of Joy of Cooking. I think I'll start at the first chapter and work forwards. I like how they have a whole section on proper silverware and table arrangements. I've always felt the knives, spoons and forks should be free to arrange themselves and not be bound by convention.

:rofl:

We mostly use our cast iron skillet for cornbread, and the non-stick pans for everything else.  We did have a big hodge-podge of cheap non-stick skillets, but we finally put down some real $ for a set of Pampered Chef cookware.  That's some pretty good stuff. 

I did keep my pancake skillet that I've had for years.  One thing I've learned...if you want really light and fluffy pancakes you must NOT grease the pan!  That is where a good non-stick pan is handy.  Once the batter is ready (remember, don't over mix the batter, a few lumps are fine) make sure the skillet is hot by dropping a big drop of water on it.  If the water bead skips and sizzles around the pan is ready.  When you've poured the pancake batter into the skillet, leave it be!  Don't keep looking under the edge to see if it's brown enough, just watch the bubbles forming.  When the greatest majority of the bubbles have formed and popped on their own--leaving something like little craters--then you can flip the pancake.

Two pumpkins as it turned was more then I needed. I had enough for two pie, a pumpkin flan and there's enough mush left for another pie.

PA200002.JPG.ba4e4457b0e3bbe481fa96a2a13729eb.JPG

PA200003.JPG.f8c13c099320dcd533951d1d187d1189.JPG

PA200005.JPG.e2c24cafa0cf69835d40384e5cdc8736.JPG