WildSurvive Forum
Muddy Pete

Muddy Pete learns to cook. Mad skillz

My second project was to bake French bread. I haven't baked bread in about 12 years and I flubbed something with the yeast. So it wouldn't rise. Not wanting to waste the dough, I made a pizza.  :)

PB150008.JPG.8c7db277c3dba9b6507d71cb5d5a0a85.JPG

Meat Pie. One pie crust. One can of beef stew. Add flour to thicken. Bake at 350 until it looks like a pie.

Now  that's something I'm going to try real soon. We're having Thanksgiving here on the farm. Come on over and bring one of your baked goodies. :)

I figured out where I went wrong with the bread. My conventional oven was way too hot even at the lowest possible setting. The yeast needs to be at 90-100 degrees to kick over. My electric oven won't go below 170. In the old house, I had a gas range and the heat from the pilot light was sufficient. I'm going to try using an electric blanket on low heat and see what happens.

One of the best buys we ever made was a microwave-convection oven.  You can set the convection for anywhere from 100F to 450F and it has settings to cook alternating microwave and convection.  We've been very happy with it and it has been our sole oven for almost 30 years.  Our first one lasted almost 22 and I think we've had this one almost 8.  I'm wondering if your electric blanket setting wouldn't be the 100F one.

One of the best buys we ever made was a microwave-convection oven.  You can set the convection for anywhere from 100F to 450F and it has settings to cook alternating microwave and convection.  We've been very happy with it and it has been our sole oven for almost 30 years.  Our first one lasted almost 22 and I think we've had this one almost 8.  I'm wondering if your electric blanket setting wouldn't be the 100F one.

I had a meat thermometer tucked inside to moniter the temperature and it didn't go up past 84 degrees on the high setting.

A good place is an oven with a pilot light however todays ovens have an electronic starter. Bread making is an art in its self. Scratch bread making when I got into it was hit and miss at best. No two alike. Now we buy bread mix packages and dump it into the bread machine. We have good luck with potato bread mixes.

http://www.google.com/search?client=flock&channel=fds&q=bread+mix+packets&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t

A good place is an oven with a pilot light however todays ovens have an electronic starter. Bread making is an art in its self. Scratch bread making when I got into it was hit and miss at best. No two alike. Now we buy bread mix packages and dump it into the bread machine. We have good luck with potato bread mixes.

http://www.google.com/search?client=flock&channel=fds&q=bread+mix+packets&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t

I don't have a gas range. The place I used to live in had one and it was sweet for baking. Mixes are fine when I just want something quick but it takes all the fun out of baking.

Be sure and cover the dough as it rises. We use a dish towel. That keeps the top from drying out. I have put the bread pan on a register in the winter. Too warm and too cold is easy to mess up. Once it rises they say punch it down and let it rise some more. Once it rose I went ahead and baked it.

prooving bacholorhood does not mean starvation..one pan of muffins at a time. good work muddy.

Yeay team! I used a can of Oregon products blueberries. Not too syrupy.

Guest blacksmith

:dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: looooooks good