WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cid

Wolves

These wild animal's are, in my opinion, very dangerous because they attack in packs. It's a lot easier to take on a bear comparing to take on a pack of hungry wolves that are surrounding you. At least the bears attack you solo, so it's just one on one.

Have you ever seen any wolves when you where in the woods?

Do you have a plan to stick to in case of an attack?

Wolves are easily scared by fire.. bears on the other hand are absolutly deadly. You cannot, and i reapeat cannot fight a bear by any means except running, and that isnt much because usually when u see the bear, it;s about 5 meters/15 feet away from you and untill you react.. you;re as good as dead meat.

Actually, correct me if I'm not mistaken (for US only), I thought that wolves were on the endangered species list because there's so few left. Or maybe they only exist in a few states. I know they don't live in the Northeast US (where I live). However, we do have lots of coyotes, which are like a small dog.

On a side note however, I just read a story today though about this lady in Pennsylvania who had a dog that was half wolf.....TORE HER UP and killed her. Wild animals are not meant to be pets !

Like someone said, wolves are afraid of fire. Wolves also are not use to humans so they have a fear of you. feral dogs are use to humans so will attack without hessitation. Like someone eklse said about bears, your only chance is running, i do not agree with this. If you run, the bear will take you for prey and belive me, he can outrun you. your best bet is to back away slowly, not turning your back to it. Make yourself look as big as possible to indacate that you are a threat to the bear.

Yes, running from a bear is the biggest mistake you can make. They run MUCH faster than you for MUCH longer periods of time at full sprint.

I heard methods of clashing stones - the sound scares them, make yourself look big, back away slowly, or EVEN FIGHT.

If the bear comes running at you you better get that knife out and try to scratch the beast alittle. Chances are the bear will back away - in wilderness prey that fights is sometimes not worth the effort.

Yes, running from a bear is the biggest mistake you can make. They run MUCH faster than you for MUCH longer periods of time at full sprint.

I heard methods of clashing stones - the sound scares them, make yourself look big, back away slowly, or EVEN FIGHT.

If the bear comes running at you you better get that knife out and try to scratch the beast alittle. Chances are the bear will back away - in wilderness prey that fights is sometimes not worth the effort.

Awright... gotta step in (I go bear hunting) and clear the air.

IF you are in close proximity to a bear, do NOT turn and run***. Do NOT stare at him. Just lift your arms out to the sides, and back away slowly and steadily while humming or talking.

If you have the opportunity, pick up two of the largest stones you can handle, and CLOCK them together with a regular beat.

Do this as you back away. Keep doing it until you are several HUNDRED FEET/YARDS/METERS from the bear.

It works, trust yer Unca. BTDT.

***Big, fat, outa shape bears can run at 30MPH. UPHILL. Olympic sprinters can hit 23MPH on level ground... can you? Me neither.

Unca Walt

playing dead will get you dead. it;s a myth. bears eat dead creatures too so thatshould be the last thing on your mind

Wolves are not the danger that most seem to prefer believing, I guess it makes it a better trip in the bush with that element of danger. Bears on the other hand are another animal behaviour at the least:

Black bears: Be calm, make yourself as big as possible (they respect size),

In a calm voice talk to it,

Do not run {(this just triggers their chase instinct), they can run faster than you anyway}, back away if possible without tripping, running.

Do not instigate a stare down but keep the bear in sight, there could be a false charge (bluff), place an obsticle inbetween you and the bear (walking staff, paddle,packsack, stout branch, tree etc...)

If an attack does happen do not lye down, stand, be ready to receive the attack and do fight back with all your abilities, you WILL get bitten, scratched, pumeled, ripped, bloodyed and hurt, be ready for pain.

Black bears will eat you if they can, if they are in the predatory mode.

Bears attack from the 4 legged ground stance not from the 2 legged upright stance. they move surprisingly fast for such large creatures,

Brown/Grizzly Bears, again be calm and with this type of bear do not fight they are to stong but do not necessarly eat their victims.

More attacks are just them getting out and your in the way or cub defence or territorial defence, once you are nutralized/imobalized the attack will lessen/stop.

Lay on the ground, tighten you buttocks, try to be kept from beeing rolled over, pull you  pack over your neck/top back area it will get bitten (trying to get to your neck)

Again you WILL be hurt, maybe real bad, even killed; that is life/death cycle we are all part off.

In both species bear spray has worked but there is no garanty that it will, bears are very different from each other in the same species allike and inbetween species also.

Bear spray should be used only when the real attack is at hand and the bear is very close, the closer the better so that the spray will not disapate in a cone but stay in a tight steam aimed for the mouth, eyes, nose.

Open mouth spray is best, use short bursts and walk it up to the face/mouth area.

The main thing is to remain as calm as possible and not instigate an attack accidentaly. There are several good books out there on is by a fellow called Gary Shelton the best in my opinion. Sorry to get so off topic

Feral dogs are a much larger threat than wolves in the whole, carrying some sort of protection is a good idea, depending in which country you are in may limit you reponse ability. For us Bear spray is the most available.

Guest allan

GOOD DAY ALL...

I have had some experiences with wolves as well as bears.

and i offer this,,,,

wolves will attack you as will bears.

have no illusions about this.........however, "nine out of ten" times you will never see them or, encounter such a problem as they wish to leave you alone as much as you do!

but, if you are the "one of the ten",,,,,,,,,,,remember that, these large animals can be ruthless. so , take a stand and dont "play dead'' or try talking to them!

if they are in the mode to try and take you down they will,,,,,,,,,,,so take a stand and, offer the best lasting  impression you can!

stick , tones,, and mental attitude are what i suggest!

remember to be agressive ,,, let them know you are not going to stand  and take it!

have you ever wondered why the wolverine never gets eatin?

i know this well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i have been in a dilema one time with this "little'' creature!

in the bush!

i cornered him one time by accident,,, in a large hole,,, he and i...(  story, for another time)...........

one look at him and one of his  crawling low growls is enough to let you know,  if hes in the "fight" mode  then,  you should take the "flight" mode  !

i hope this helps!

bow :thumbup:

we all know are chances of coming out of teh woods alive when we enter them all woodsman now this its a chance you mit not come out again its athe dangers we take and if oyu dont like the predeters than dont go

Bow, the talking portion that I posted is in part to keep you calmer by having to control yourself (a shrill shriek could instigate an injured animal response) and an even controlled voice requires you to be calm and regain your composure reducing an possible loss of the situation.

Yes, wolves have attacked or get very close, but not as most urban peoples imagine, as you have said 9 of 10 will just pass by.

Just a clarification, if needed

Guest adrenjunky

All I can find is a few cases of wolf attacks reported and confirmed over the past 100 years in North America (5 cases that I can find). Can anyone find anything different?

'Never Cry Wolf' by Farley Mowat is a classic read that offers a interesting and thought-provoking perspective on wolves and wolf/human interaction. Farley Mowat's book can also be found as a book on tape and one priceless version is actually read by him. I STRONGLY recommend this book for folks interested in learning more about these fascinating creatures.

I have had run ins with feral dog/coydogs and bears, nothing to get upset about, never to a physical contact but very close with the feral dogs (in summer I carry a sling shot with marbles and 3/8 ball bearings and bear spray as a deterrent). So far never extra close contact with wolves other than passing by and an inspection out of curiosity with a wolf or pack of wolves.

Most peoples cant tell the difference between a coydog, husky/sheppard feral dog and a wolf when in the bush.

To most the bush is a foreign enviroment rife with imaginary dangers until they spend more and more time as some here and get really comfortable in that setting.

Biggest thing is to remain as calm as possible. 

wolves are not somthing to be worried about in the wild, trust me. unless you just conrnered a mothers young, they wont bother you. INFACT you should consider yourself EXTREMELY LUCKY if you are blessed with the opportunity to even spot one of these beautifull creatures in the wilderness. most times they are to wary of humans to come within sight.

as for bears, what unca walt said is the best. DO NOT RUN, put up your arms, dont look it in the eye and back up slowly. stay calm, they can literally smell fear, their smell is atleast 5 times better than a blood hounds. (polar bears have even better smell than that).

The biggest thing is to educate yourselves on the "true nature of the beast" While these animals ARE dangerous, there seems to be more hype than fact floating around out there. Bob, Blue,CStick, and  Walt really touch on the main points, but THE best thing to do is to educate yourself on the facts, not the fiction about wild animals.

i read this in a book

theyr weak spots are the nose and the ribs, from around the belly...wolves orientate to the victims parts and rip them off...they get scared of fire and light ..what can you do if a single wolf attacks you:

1. kick his nose

2. give him one arm to grab (it is god if you have something to protect your arm) shove the arm in the back of his mouth and hold the back of his neck with the other hand.

3.surround his body with your feet, crossing them at his back and knock him on the ground

4. squeeze him really hard on the ribs - which it will make him incstinctively retreat, then with a sudden move to the left or the right break his neck.

sorry for the bad english in some parts

this is how it should look like

4osd5at.jpg

Too many people associate the wolf with the bedtime stories they heard as children and not on any actual contact with the animals, those stories are still very prevalent in Europe where most of them originated from, If any one ever gets a chance to visit one of the wolf sanctuaries do so. You can watch them in their own habitat ' safely " I have only seen one in the wild and it came up to where I was sleeping out of curiosity I suppose. I have more fear of wild dogs than I ever would of wolves.

From what I know - playing dead is a working method. Perhaps it depends on the type of bear?

You NEVER EVER play dead with a black bear!!!!  Grizzily yes, but not a black bear. 

Wolves are not the monsters they are made out to be.  The areas I frequent are full of them and I have no worries...wolves are afraid of fire just as most animals, but they fear humans even more.  Any animal can be dangerous, my biggest worry would be of a pack of wild dogs or wild hogs.  I guess you would have to live in wolf country to understand.

I'm also more worried about tick born diseases then all of the above.

The only thing I have to take precautions with up here is not taking my dog into areas the wolves are in.  I mean honestly, how many people in the history of this country have been attacked by wolves?  I'm willing to bet more people have been killed or injured by their own stupidity then by any wild animals.  

I do feel the wolf population needs to be kept in check through hunting and trapping, but they have a place in nature just as any other creature.  

The woods are full of danger everytime you step into them so step into them being educated and knowledgeable of your surroundings.  If everyone went into the woods with a firearm I would pretty much stop my adventures because man is on top of my list to worry about.  What I find funny is the false sence of security a firearm gives people.  In the heat of the moment most people wouldn't hit what they were aiming at anyway.  Point being I have walked up on bears and I don't know who was more scared me or the bear.  Each time the bear ran off so scared I swear to God they would have broken their neck running into every tree in the woods!  If I would have had a firearm it would have done me no good if that bear would have attacked because I would have had no time to react.

I have been in the woods in the fall when it was bone dry and you could hear a squirrel running through the leaves 50 yards away and yet when hunting up in a tree stand I have had bears walk right by me without making hardly a sound at all in those same dry leaves.

I seen someone mentioned running from a black bear...THAT IS A BIG MISTAKE!!!  You will never out run a black bear, wolf, or coyote.  What you will do is create a chase instinct in that animal just like you would a dog and you will automatically become prey!  You never play dead with black bears...black bears will eat you if you do.  You need to be prepared to fight for your life.  With a grizzly bear yes, black bear NO.  Would I carry a firearm in grizzly country yes, but I would also carry bear spray and most likely use that as my first line of defense.  

FEAR IS A BAD THING...CONTROLLED FEAR IS A GOOD THING.  There is a big difference between the two.  Fear controls you...you are in control of controled fear.

If anyone wants to learn more about black bears and wolves come up to my neck of the woods to spend some time.  My wife sees what wolves do on a regular basis due to her occupation and humans nor deer are on the top of their menu...they prefer livestock especially young calves.

To be honest black bears feed more on the whitetail deer then anything else.  In the spring of the year their favorite food is young fawns and then as the year goes on they mainly feed on vegetation and berries.  

One more note...in just about all species that are capable of harming a human it is the younger of the species that you should be more worried about.  Why?  Because they have not learned to fear humans yet.

I hope this helps some of those who have never experienced these creatures first hand.  I'm not an expert, but through living with wolves and bears and seeing them first hand in THEIR territory I have learned alot.  There is not a year that goes by in which I don't run into them at least 2 or 3 times.  I have seen black bear run from me so quick that you swear to God they are going to kill themselves running into every tree in the woods.