WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
antagonizer

Building a Survival, Bushcraft Shelter and Boma Coral

Thanks for taking the time to do this Ant. I used to use concentric brush boma-like circles around my camps years ago, with the outer ones mainly meant to cause noise if someone passed through them in the night. I've always felt that if I had my family in tow if would be a morale booster by adding at least some sense of security.

I know what you mean mist. It's a moral booster to know that there's a barrier between you and the things that go bump in the night. I knew a guy in Moosonee Ontario that always carried a string of those round xmas bells on it that he hung around his shelter. I found the ringing in the wind annoying while I was sleeping, but the realization that we carry these things on our packs to warn bears made the thought of having them around our site easier to deal with.

I usta carry a fishing reel with heavy monofiliment and I would walk a wide circle around my tent stringing it about knee high all the way around. Then I would fasten the ends to something that would make a lot of noise if it got jerked down. There was usually enough bushes or trees to hook the string to.

Thanks for your efforts Ant and nice to see ya around.

Thanks Swede. I'm on a short hiatus from the archeological digs before I make my move out to BC in a couple of weeks, so I'll be around a bit. I've got a bow making/fletching class I need to teach next week, but after that it's the mad dash to figure out what's coming with me, and what's staying.

I'll be camping the entire way, and plan on doing a trip diary on twitter and youtube, if you're interested. Gonna spend a night in the Badlands in Alberta. Should be fun.