WildSurvive Forum

In the last few years I have been asked to build "Qwimsies" and  "Igloos" as a viable winter shelter by a few people. Now with all the climatic changes in our winter weather it is getting harder to find enough sound snow for an Igloo at these lower lattitudes and even snow for qwimsies is failing at times. Plus the fact that we have unseasonal rains in winter that basicaly eat through the qwimsy walls, would make me leery of sleeping under a load of snow that could collapse on me during the night even if I was awake it would be a struggle to get out easily. I would rather build a lean to or debris shelter unless it was a real cold spell with a good snow cover. Winter is become very mild.

Guest smallgamehunter

i dont really have to worry about alot of hard snow here but if it is gonna snow or snowing heavy i make a tarp lean to over the top of it. for being a bivy its suprisingly warm not that expensive either

http://www.imsplus.com/camouflage-bivy-shelter.html

theres the link for more details

Ive been trying to think of a bow over your head to hold a canvas up off your face. This bivy would work great for that. In Canada they just throw down a canvas tarp and lay on one side and throw the other half over their sleeping bag but I get claustrophobia with that tarp over my head. The bows in that bivy would hold the canvas up.

Guest smallgamehunter

i love mine i just got it a couple of months ago and it held up under -15 wind chill we had here last week but the cold weather bag is key to winter camping

swede the store is based out of edwardsville so it only about 30 min drive from me and i have done business with them for several years now i highly recommend them

Guest blacksmith

I have used my dog sled but if you do not have a team the sled is not good to hard to bring with you

Swede you could just lash 2 branches together and form a bow and set them into the ground.

Yah I thought about that but I like the bivy bag because of the double protection from the weather. Of course I have to have my air mattress.

I see. I thought you were just looking to use a pole system for a trap. But yes the bivy would be great for your trips.

I love to camp in winter.(just check out my pic) that was -35 with a wind chill in the -50s. its an old army 2 man pup tent that i made my own a frame poles for to get rid of the 2 poles that are always in the way.  i have a thin 40 deg. sleeping bag that i put inside my winter 0deg. bag and put that inside a gortex army bivy.(i have been so warm that i had to strip out of my long johns to keep from sweating) i cinch the face down to about 2 inches and lay a handkerchief over my face. it collects the moister i breath out without dampening my bag. and traps just enough warm air to breath. other than that all the gear i use except for cloths is the same stuff i use all year around. (one small tip people might think is gross or not talk about that i use to keep my feet warm and keep from getting out of the tent at night is......  :o pee bottle. i use a wide mouth nalgene bottle(properly marked so there are no mistakes with my water bottle :blink:  i can use it inside the bag with out spilling it. then after tightening the lid extremely well ill push it down by my feet, instent warmth that lasts for hours. (sorry ladies, this tip might not work as well for you. but you can heat water up and put it in the bottle before going to bed to the same effect)

Winter camping is my passion!

I will be posting a bunch of pictures on my adventures this winter.  I usually pull a sled with my gear and a backpack in it for day hikes away from camp.  Snowshoes are my favorite, hence my user name.  

There are so many ways of winter camping, but this year I will be "hot tenting" for a week.  I will be using a Four Dog stove and a Lavvu.  This set-up will easily hold 70 degrees F in the tent and this tent will not blow down!

Maybe someone on here would be interested in tagging along...I'm usually on my own for a week.  Nothing beats winter camping in my opinion, you can always dress warmer where during the summer you can only take so much off  censored.gif, the night skies and northern lights are beautiful, NO BUGS, the sound of the wind howling puts me to sleep like a baby, food on the fire/grill/stove seems to taste better and last but not least NO PEOPLE TO DEAL WITH!!!!

lavuoutAK.jpg.f256d823b68cb2e2267bb73ffaf8cbf8.jpg