WildSurvive Forum

Are there any Wild Ginseng hunters on here?  I'm definately going to put some time in this year looking for it.

It will be my first real effort, but I'm determined!

We planted 500 seeds three years ago but so far I have not seen any plants. Sometimes it takes years to show up and at least seven years to grow a sale able root. You have to buy a license in Illinois now to hunt it.

Fall is the best time to hunt it. Look for bright yellow leaves in groups of five with small to larger leaves in a circle. They may grow in more then one in a cluster or group usually in heavy shade on hillsides.

Ive hunted it but only for the thrill of finding it. it has been decimated around here from people hunting it. so i don't dig it up. most people don't know that it can take up to 7 years for the plant to mature and dig it up and not even replant the seeds. all they see is dollar signs i guess.

Ive hunted it but only for the thrill of finding it. it has been decimated around here from people hunting it. so i don't dig it up. most people don't know that it can take up to 7 years for the plant to mature and dig it up and not even replant the seeds. all they see is dollar signs i guess.

So true Razor!

I would like to find a few nice roots just to keep, dry out and put in a picture frame setting with a red or green velvet background. 

Alot of people don't know they should also plant the berries on the plants they find right away in the same area. 

Definately not doing it for the money.