WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  

I got a late start on this project and ended up finishing in the dark so forgive my pictures of the finished product.

This is my first time making pitch glue and I have to admit it is fun!  I simply gathered some pine pitch, crushed up some charcoal/cow pies and off I went.

I got a good fire going to build up some coals and let it die down. (DO NOT PUT THE PITCH ON OVER AN OPEN FLAME!!!!)  oops.gif  Once the coals were ready I placed my pitch on to melt.  Once melted, I slowly added crushed charcoal and cow pie until I got the right consistency.

After everything was mixed and heated I pulled it from over the coals and let it set JUST A LITTLE (you need to work quick) and started forming it on the sticks.

When it gets to a certain point you can actually form it on the stick with your hand without having it stick to you.

You could also use finely crushed plant fiber, and deer or rabbit poo.  Rocks work great for crushing everything up.

I think it's amazing knowing how those before us came up with these ideas out of necessity and I feel carrying on these skills are a great way of keeping in touch with the past and showing our appreciation.

By the way, using a flat or bowl shaped rock over a Dakota Fire Pit would be a great way of doing this also.  That's what I'm doing next time now that I have the basics down.

Making_some_coals-b.jpg.2ebb11cd46aca835d602497b5a30664d.jpg

Pine_Sap_Charcoal_and_a_Cow_Pie-b.jpg.31c4815a7baa6bb47358fff21b774005.jpg

Stiring_in_the_charcoal_and_crushed_cow_pie-b.jpg.fd99304808c28b79b904b1a6c123292d.jpg

Now that you have the mixture on a stick do you heat it to get it to melt drops on the tip to use for glue?

Now that you have the mixture on a stick do you heat it to get it to melt drops on the tip to use for glue?

I can't believe I left that out!  I good way to use it is to heat it up over a candle and let it drip into place or just get it soft enough to smear on.  It sets up quick!!!!

Thanks for your efforts SW great post.  :arigato:

Thank You Swede for taking interest!  I love taking the time to pass things on and share information. 

Very cool SW, thanks for sharing that information!  I was going to try this awhile ago but I never could get enough pitch.  Are there certain kinds of pine trees, or a certain time of year, that you have to look for the pitch?

~ I don't have to make a tree bleed do I?  :unsure:

No you don't Taken, but you bring up a good point.  Some people might not care and cut some trees up for the pitch when all you have to do is look for it on trees already damaged or scabbed over.  If you take a close look you will find it on most conifers.

Very cool SW, thanks for sharing that information!  I was going to try this awhile ago but I never could get enough pitch.  Are there certain kinds of pine trees, or a certain time of year, that you have to look for the pitch?

You can pretty much find it year round, but it's easier to collect during the warmer months.  As far as type of pines, I couldn't honestly tell you if some are better or not.  I have found it on all of them, but some do have less then others.