WildSurvive Forum

This is a MoGas (Motor Gas) stove. According to the article, British tank drivers in WWII had to drain a little bit of fuel out of the fuel lines each morning in order to prevent moisture build-up. So they would mix some sand and the surplus fuel in an old coffee can. Then use that to heat water or cook on. Since British tanks are hard to find around here, I used some old Coleman fuel.  I'm thinking if I was stranded and needed to cook or if there were abandoned vehicles around, I could boil water, cook or at least get warm.   

P9300001.jpg

P9300002.jpg

I made the air holes with a can opener. which are at the top.  

P9300004.jpg

This was a larger prototype before I had the air flow holes figured out.

P5160031.jpg

It looks like it smokes up the bottom of your cooking pot but it works pretty well. Thanks Mud   :arigato:

It looks like it smokes up the bottom of your cooking pot but it works pretty well. Thanks Mud  :arigato:

It's the Coleman fuel I used. It burns really sooty once it's passed it's shelf life.

cool muddy! id read about them but never used one that way. my granddad taught us how to make similar stoves out of coffee cans (back when they were made out of metal) that you could toss in sticks twigs, pine cones pretty much anything burnable that looked alot like those stoves. Ive made one out of a metal 5 gallon bucket. the British serviceman in the desert make it and i think its called a bonzie stove. where fuels like wood are scares its a great way to get the most efficiency out of your fuel. do you know if it said you can use any flammable liquid?

do you know if it said you can use any flammable liquid?

I've tried it with sticks and a homemade fire starter. It works just fine. It's a metal can so that's no problem. I would be concerned about fumes from the fuel source.

if you find metal ones. the tomato juice cans work and like the ones in muddys pictures paint cans will work to. ive made small ones out of the large soup cans to but they take a long time to cook anything.

I would be concerned about the fumes also, but it's still very interesting and in my opinion worth trying!  The point is if you had to use it you now have experience with it.

Trying new things is NEVER a waste of time!

Thanks for posting.

big soup cans I can try thanks

Be sure you have adequate ventilation, and sand or dirt in the bottom of the can. It weighs the can down and keeps the bottom of the can from melting. 

I made a little MoGas stove out of a pop can for a project yesterday.

All that had to be done was to cut off the lid and punch some 1/4" holes along the top for air flow. I used Coleman fuel for this stove and denatured alcohol in another. They worked fine. I have no idea if other fuels such diesel will melt the pop can. So be careful.

PA050004.jpg

PA050003.jpg

Sand in the bottom of the can for weight.

tPA050005.jpg

This was the 1 pound coffee can stove that I cooked on in Maine. I used the wire basket from a hurricane lantern to hold the pot off the top of the stove. If it sits flat, there won't be enough airflow and the flames get snuffed.

P9120019.jpg

P9120020.jpg

P9120023.jpg

Hey Muddy, what kind of cooking can were you using in the top picture set?  In the 3rd picture down.

Snow Peak titanium cook set. Comes with a cup and lid. I drew some measurements on the side. The only thing it's missing is a bail so I can suspend it over a fire.

Muddy Pete,

What tool is that on the right in the first picture???!! :grin:

Post #13? That's my lucky firestarting finger.