WildSurvive Forum
Muddy Pete

Super fun survival kit post

I’m in the process of updating my survival kits. So I decided to post as I go along. 

I designed my kits to cover both my day to day needs on the trail and to act as an emergency/ survival kit should things go ka-blooey.

I don’t want to be out in a downpour and discover my new fire starting tool doesn’t work as advertised (been there) or the survival knife that cost $$$$ won’t hold an edge (been there too). Or that I left something out of the kit that I might be needing.

So I’m taking it all apart, testing and rebuilding it. If a piece of kit doesn’t work, out it goes. If it does work it becomes part of the rig.

P8180017.jpg

I'm gonna go nuts here for a moment and talk about a few other parts of the kit.

Hats, gloves, bandanas. A important piece of kit most people don't think about. Protection from sun, wind, rain, bugs, brambles. I won't go out without it.

P8180060.jpg

My Gilligan’s Island hat from Wal-Mart. I’ve added a little match case where I keep a ferro rod and tinder and some Advil. I hate Gilligan.  

P8180062.jpg

P8180063.jpg

Packs, sacks and stuff to put stuff in.

P8180020.jpg

Eagle Creek Market pouch. This is new and I haven’t had time to abuse it. It’s got enough space for a small kit and a multi-tool.

P8180022.jpg

P8180024.jpg

P8180024.jpg

BestGlide.com Aviation PSKT holder. My fire kit container.

P8180026.jpg

P8180027.jpg

Altoids tins. I use them for specific items instead of an all around survival kit. I've made a fishing kit, a tin for making charcloth and kit to store fire starting items.  

P8180028.jpg

P8180029.jpg

P8180030.jpg

This little day pack one came from Wal-Mart a few years back and I beat the crap out it on the trail. The strap finally gave out so I duct taped it back on.

P8180033.jpg

P8180034.jpg

Maxpedition Fat Boy S-type. Maxpedition makes some tough, high quality gear. This is nice little shoulder bag with a lot of attachment points.

P8180036.jpg

P8180037.jpg

P8180038.jpg

Nite Ize gear pouch. I posted this one before. Room for a flashlight, multi-tool. 

P8180039.jpg

P8180040.jpg

I'm going go nuts here for a moment and talk about a few other parts of the of the kit.

Hats, gloves, bandanas. A important peice of kit most people don't think about. Protection from sun, wind, rain, bugs, brambles. I won’t go out without it.

P8180060.jpg

My Gilligan’s Island hat that I  bought at Wal-Mart ages ago. I’ve added a little match case where I keep a ferro rod and tinder and some Advil. I hate Gilligan.  

P8180062.jpg

P8180063.jpg

You make a great point!  I'm trying to work on getting my winter gear together and I have numerous things that fall into this category.

Chap stick, sunglasses, snow goggles, skin lotion/sunscreen etc...winter is not the time to let your guard down with sun/wind protection not to mention keeping hydrated.  In fact, dehydration will get you just as quick if not quicker compared to the summer months!

Going through and updating your gear is a great idea.  Familiarization with your equipment is often over looked by so many people.

North face Roo pouch. It’s got a lot of room, too much room. Have I mentioned I’m a gear pig?

P8180041.jpg

Misc pouches.

P8180042.jpg

EMS fanny pack. I’ve dragged this pouch all over and it’s held up pretty well.

P8180043.jpg

P8180044.jpg

Tools. For small kits, I like multi-tools. With a knife you can cut, whittle, stab and chop. With multi-tools you can do all that plus repair existing gear and make other tools.

P8180056.jpg

I wasn't going to do a knife post as there are plenty to be found on the forum. I like a small blades. When I plan to stay out overnight, I take something a bit larger.

P8180064.jpg

TOPS ATAX. It’s a hybrid. Part chopping blade, part skinning blade.

P8180080.jpg

Pictured: A sheath for a SOG fusion Revolver, a sheath for an old SOG Seal pup with an early attempt to make a sheath based kit and homemade sheath which I made because the Revolver sheath is a piece of crap. While playing around I discovered that the Revolver fits better in the Seal Pup sheath so I swapped them.

P8180067.jpg

P8180068.jpg

P8180069.jpg

P8180070.jpg

P8180072.jpg

This is the sheath for the Hoodlum blade with a smaller Blind Horse Tiger Knapp attached to the sheath as a little whittling blade. The sheath on the Tiger Knapp fits right down into the Molle straps and with a little duct tape it’s pretty secure. The pocket holds the kit contents.

P8180073.jpg

The back of the sheath.

P8180074.jpg

P8180077.jpg

This is an old RAT-7 sheath with the same idea. SAK and an aspirin bottle holds the fire starting items. The Leatherman Juice models will also fit in the sheath. Tools to make other tools.

P8180079.jpg

Gossman PSK with a compass and fire starting tool.

P8180082.jpg

BK-11 with a TOPS fire starting kit, a TOPS dog tag signal mirror and an ARS dog tag blade. 

P8180085.jpg

YES! Finally kits, fool.

Trangia mess tin. Says I, why not put the kit in a mess tin? Esbit stove, hot sauce, and room for more kit and food.

P8180090.jpg

P8180088.jpg

P8180093.jpg

Altoids tin kit. I’m missing the compass. And an even smaller Altoids kit.

P8180094.jpg

P8180114.jpg

Omni-seal pouches. I’ve carried a few kits in these pouches. One thing I’ve learned is that the seal doesn’t work well when it’s really hot out.

P8180096.jpg

P8180098.jpg

Survival key chains. I like these because I don’t have to fit everything into some stupid little container. Tool Logic SL-3. This is an old one. It’s kind of neat. It’s a knife, fire starting tool and whistle on the back. The fire starting tool can be swapped out for a small Mag-Lite. The block on the chain is an old magnesium block that the ferro rod came loose. 

P8180101.jpg

P8180102.jpg

P8180103.jpg

A few others.

P8180106.jpg

CountyCom.com kit with a Exotac Nano striker. County Com sells all sorts of nifty little gadgets.

P8180109.jpg

This is my EDC keys. I keep them on a Chisco key ring which unclips in the middle. One side for everyday stuff. One side for survival gear. If I fell out of the boat with it, I’d sink like an anchor.  

P8180111.jpg

Odds and ends.

P8180116.jpg

~ Muddy.............  I think you have a gear problem.  8|

you have WAY too much of it. And so many kits to put it in.  :scared:

I'm a sick person.

Muddy.......I think its time for an intervention  :hugegrin:

just kidding, you have some very innovative kit there!  A little something for  everything.

I did go a little overboard on the presentation. :P

Not at all Muddy. Fine thread much information, super effort. Thanks Muddy.  :arigato:  :thumbup:

Excellent post Muddy Pete. Lots of nice toys you have. And can we really ever have enough gear? Don't think so  :P

Thanks everyone. Now that my summer rental season is starting to slow down, I plan to get out with the kits, the knives, the Mogas stove and survival foods post and start seriously putting it to work.

Kit breakdown. I have a feeling I may be needing these Real soon.   ;)

Bug nets. Don’t laugh, the mosquitoes were swarming today.

P8240038.jpg

Buff performance headwear. These are useful for keeping dust and bugs out your nose and mouth and for keeping you face warm. Buffs can also be worn as a do-rag to keep the sun off your head.

P8240066.jpg

P8240061.jpg

Colored bandanas. I carry the brightly colored ones to use as trail markers. A little more surface area then surveyors tape.

P8240049.jpg