WildSurvive Forum
Muddy Pete

Super fun survival kit post

I've heard the super glue suggestion before and wrote it off as something Bear or Dave would come up with. You as a medical professional give it merit.  :cool:

~ E.R.s have been using it for years instead of stitches in most circumstances. If you have underlying tissue damage that's a different story, but I can tell you from experience  :whistle: if you accidently cut yourself with a sharp knife... NOTHING holds skin together better. Throw the old  butterfly strips away and buy some super glue. By the time it sloughs off, the skin beneath it is already healed. Plus... germs cannot get through superglue.  :thumbup:  just clean your wound and dry it before you seal it up.

~ E.R.s have been using it for years instead of stitches in most circumstances. If you have underlying tissue damage that's a different story, but I can tell you from experience  :whistle: if you accidently cut yourself with a sharp knife... NOTHING holds skin together better. Throw the old  butterfly strips away and buy some super glue. By the time it sloughs off, the skin beneath it is already healed. Plus... germs cannot get through superglue.  :thumbup:  just clean your wound and dry it before you seal it up.

And don't glue your fingers together in the process. Lessons learned gluing model cars together.

~ you know those cuts that create a flap of skin that you can peel back? Those wounds are just begging for super glue. Just lay the flap down, and glue around the edges. Don't put the glue on the skin underneath.

Also, any deep gash that kind of lays apart...  Super Glue to the rescue. Squeeze it shut, and glue it.  :smoke:

I always put a bandage on top of it when I'm done. Don't put patroleum based products (triple antibiotic) inside a wound. Just on the skin on top of the wound.

Guest smallgamehunter

if u like to keep quik clot around u can get the sponges and use them with rolled gauze or an ace wrap sort of like a pressure bandage

if u like to keep quik clot around u can get the sponges and use them with rolled gauze or an ace wrap sort of like a pressure bandage

Cool. I have a package of Quik clot (somewhere). I'm going to add some handwarmers to my day bag as winter has finally reached me.

Since I had room in the compass pouch, I added a signal mirror, pace beads and a set of ESEE navigation cards. It all tucks right into the pouch.

hey muddy, you should have made him a set like mine.  :hugegrin:

I looked for those! I saw them in Wal-Mart around Halloween and when I went back they were gone.

survivorgirl, the beads are easy to make. you can use paracord (easier if you take the center out first if the bead holes are to tight. but the beads need to be tight enough on the string to not slide by themselves. cut your string, paracord, bootlace etc. to about 24 inches long and fold it in half. tie a knot a short ways down from the loop end. then slide 4 beads onto it. this is easyest done by pushing a loop of strong fishing line threw the bead and sticking the end of one of the strings threw the loop in the fishing line and then pull it threw the bead. then do the same with the other strand. after you get four beads on then tie another knot about an inch or two down from the beads and start over again with 9 more beads. and tie another knot. it will look like muddys beads there when your done.  now if you want to use them this is what i teach our scouts.

To use pace beads to keep track of the distance you have walked you first need to know how many paces it takes you to travel 100 meters.  (Remember! A pace is every time the same foot hits the ground) (that’s why so many people cant find the treasure on a  treasure map, they take steps, not paces)

Once you know how many steps----oops! Paces you take in a 100meters. (lets say 70 for a guess) then you start with all the beads slid to the top of the counter against each knot. Everytime you count out 70 paces you pull one of the bottom beads down.

start counting again and after you have all 9 beads pulled down and you have travel 1000 meters then you pull down one of the top beads. And push all the bottom beads back up and start again.

You can do it on a smaller scale by only using 10 meter intervals and pulling a top bead down after every 100

I looked for those! I saw them in Wal-Mart around Halloween and when I went back they were gone.

i got mine off ebay. they have metal skulls to that looked cool. i use the glow in the dark beads for kids, they just love that. cool stuff muddy  :thumbup:

cool how do you make pace beads

Just need a peice of cord thick enough that the beads won't slide around. I used a shoelace and doubled it over. Knot the ends. Slide 9 beads down. knot it. Slid 4 more beads knot it and your good to go. 

Guest smallgamehunter

imsplus.com has skull pace beads i got a set with my s.a.r gear

I went out to test my new bike on the rail road tracks. I'm going to setup a kit in a pouch on the handlebars with some repair gear and keep my smaller kit on my person. Today I just took a few small items. 

Schwinn helmet, gloves, Sealline drybag juryrigged to the handle bars, snacks mini kit, first aid pack. I have my phone in my jacket pocket and another matchsafe. 

Victorinox Trekker with a keychain light, pace beads, and Fox 40 Howler whistle. I wear it on a long lanyard that slings under my arm in stead of around my neck. It's accessable and won't bounce up and hit me in the the face.

This is the medicine bottle kit that I keep on my hiking staff.

Duct tape, AMK Spark lite, Tinder Quik firestarters, Jute twine, Katadyn tablet, bobbin of monofilament line, band aids, Goody's powdered aspirin, The little plastic bag has split shot and sling shot ammo. The sling shot itself is on the hiking staff.

Guest smallgamehunter

i found BG basic survival kits on sale at the local farm and home it has made a good base for my ultralight survival kit

It contains

Firesteel

Scalpel blades

Snare wire

Twine

Cotton ball

Aqua pur tab

Storm matches

Piece of foil for cooking

I added a few items back into the day pack. Because it just wasn't full enough as it was.  :P

Handwarmers, metal cup (must have coffeeeeee), insect repellent (I don't need it for bugs right now, but I'm trying it out as a fire accelerate, mosquito head net, water filter straw, and a little TP. The round Altoids tin is for my charclothe. I'm still missing my steel.

I added the little Esbit folding wing stove to my daypack. I supplemented the Esbit tablets which smell like used kitty litter with Snowwalkers homemade firestarters which I had made a surplus of back in September. The only drawback I've found is that firestarters burn sooty.  :ack:

PC310047.JPG.e17c01de099791d6db5c79d64afe1145.JPG

PC310048.JPG.56258b1465fef9eae8bd530a6fa93858.JPG

PC310050.JPG.9369bf347ada26add46d865ee9a136fc.JPG

PC310029.JPG.94e9985ac132e15c6aa43dad1e427273.JPG

I made a little neck kit for biking. Pockets full of stuff were fine on foot, but bouncing along over potholes becomes a bother. Also for when the weather warms up. It's not really a survival kit just enough to cover cuts and scrapes, get a sandwhich and get the front door open.

Witz waterproof case

House key

Goody's powdered asprin

Little pocket knife

Water proof matches/striker.

Cash

Copy of my drivers license

Emergency information card

Whistle and keychain flashlight

P3150056.JPG.afd0dfbad318cdcc9992ec6b7ee41bff.JPG

P3150057.JPG.25cfdd8d1f6a2ec5a3c43e64e9b96a35.JPG

P3150058.JPG.a0ae78f8a03c343413efd5c1939f4a9b.JPG

P3150059.JPG.a21d9f5ca3c8e7755fcfaad58d24ddc0.JPG

P3150062.JPG.c10393179e4bb2c904420a710aa58b3f.JPG

cool muddy. i use an under the seat bag, it holds about 4 times what the waterproof container your using holds. i keep car keys, athsma inhaler, money, my wallet (when im riding) my phone, an all purpose bike tool with chain breaker and spoke wrenches. a tire repair kit, first aid kit, a rubber band and some zip ties a bic lighter.  there is still room for me to put a fishing kit, fire kit, ponch and water purifying tablets. it dosnt weight me down and because its attatched to the bike and synched down it dosnt ratt ow wiggle.  and i like your helmet muddy, good stuff  :thumbup: