WildSurvive Forum
Muddy Pete

Soda can alcohol stove

I was at work and I was bored. This is an Alan Halcon denatured alcohol fueled soda can stove.

One soda can, tin snips, kitchen can opener, magic marker and a straight piece of paper to make a straight line around the can.

P9060046.jpg

Measure and cut the can into three equal sections.

P9060047.jpg

P9060048.jpg

Cut the middle section like so as it will need to be narrower then the base. Make a small notch and fold it over.

P9060051.jpg

The center section will sit in the base. When fuel is poured in the notch acts as a gate.

P9060057.jpg

Top section. Use the can opener to remove the top center section of the can. This part works best with a standard kitchen can opener which I didn't have handy.

P9060063.jpg

I used the tip of my knife to push vent holes around the top of the can.

P9060061.jpg

Center section fits inside the base, top section is pushed down over the base. When the fuel is lit the flames travel up inside between the center section and the outer wall and the vent holes act as jets.

P9060065.jpg

P9060066.jpg

~ Ok...  I'm gonna play stupid here (because I am.) I've seen you guys make these things for the last few years. Will somebody please tell me WHAT you DO With them?  What's it good for? How do you use it to heat something? I want to see one in action.

I have NO idea what an alcohol stove is used for. I could google it, but this is more fun.  :hugegrin:

I KNOW if I don't know, somebody else might not know either.  :whistle:

~ Ok...  I'm gonna play stupid here (because I am.) I've seen you guys make these things for the last few years. Will somebody please tell me WHAT you DO With them?  What's it good for? How do you use it to heat something? I want to see one in action.

I have NO idea what an alcohol stove is used for. I could google it, but this is more fun.  :hugegrin:

File it under fun things to make with a soda can. I've boiled water with one. I didn't have time today to fire it. Was also at work where setting things on fire is frowned upon.

And THANK YOU Muddy for calling it a "soda" can..... (for the psuedo-dyslexians in the crowd)

I have awful dreams of trying to make a stove with popcorn. It's like the chicken or egg dilemma!

File it under fun things to make with a soda can. I've boiled water with one. I didn't have time today to fire it. Was also at work where setting things on fire is frowned upon.

~ But cutting up soda cans at work with a knife and multi-tool are smiled upon?  :whistle: :P :woot:

I was at work and I was bored. This is an Alan Halcon denatured alcohol fueled soda can stove.

Well THERE ya go... Alan invented it.  :glare:  I should've known it would be confusing.

I'm well versed in Halcon's technique.

I'm not about to fawn over a stupid soda can stove like I did over a hand drill years ago.  :thumbdown:

Well THERE ya go... Alan invented it.  :glare:  I should've known it would be confusing.

I'm well versed in Halcon's technique.

I'm not about to fawn over a stupid pop can stove like I did over a hand drill years ago.  :thumbdown:

I'm not fawning. Just don't wanna hear that I stole somebody elses idea. Like I said work, bored, soda can, tinsnips = popcan stove

I'm not fawning. Just don't wanna hear that I stole somebody elses idea. Like I said work, bored, soda can, tinsnips = popcan stove

~ Silly muddy!  :hug: I wasn't accusing you of stealing ANYBODY's idea! I just never caught on that the whole soda can stove phenomenon was Halcon's idea!  :rofl:  Of COURSE you're not "fawning" over somebody's idea...  I'm referring back to a time many years ago, when I "fawned" over Halcon's "Hand Drill technique" that pretty much made him really popular in the survival world back in the "day". HE held a record for it! LOL..  and Remember.... the reason I Joined the Old Les Stroud Website years ago was because the idea of making fire out of pretty much nothing totally mesmerized me.  :whistle:  Alan Halcon was a regular on that website. He posted a lot of stuff. He even had a book.

Anyhow, I ain't sayin' no more.

You misunderstood me.  cool14.gif

~ Silly muddy!  :hug: I wasn't accusing you of stealing ANYBODY's idea! I just never caught on that it was Halcon's idea!  :rofl:   Of COURSE you're not "fawning" over somebody's idea...   I'm referring back to a time many years ago, when I "fawned" over Halcon's Hand Drill technique that pretty much made him really popular in the survival world back in the "day". HE held a record for it! LOL..  and Remember.... the reason I Joined the Old Les Stroud Website years ago was because the idea of making fire out of pretty much nothing totally mesmerized me.  :whistle:  Alan Halcon was a regular on that website. He posted a lot of stuff. He even had a book.

Anyhow, I ain't sayin' no more.

You misunderstood me.  cool14.gif

I didn't mean you. As far as I know Alan came up with the idea. Either way I picked it off one of the Hoods Woods video's where he made one. Which I think makes it a copyright so a CYA on my part. Even If it's not, other people read the forum and I don't want to have them accusing me of stealing.        

Thanks for the effort Muddy even though Taken had a flash back to when she was loved and ignored over at the Hoodlums.  :P  We all made them for a spell a few years ago but like Taken Ive never seen any one actually cook something. They do work however but denatured alcohol is best for fuel. There has been more then one person to receive lethal cuts from the edges of the pop can.    :D

http://www.google.com/search?client=flock&channel=fds&q=pop+can+stove+youtube&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t

Thanks for the effort Muddy even though Taken had a flash back to when she was loved and ignored over at the Hoodlums.  :P  We all made them for a spell a few years ago but like Taken Ive never seen any one actually cook something. They do work however but denatured alcohol is best for fuel. There has been more then one person to receive lethal cuts from the edges of the pop can.    :D

http://www.google.com/search?client=flock&channel=fds&q=pop+can+stove+youtube&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t

~ I didn't know Alan Halcon from "Hoodlums", he was a member of the Les Stroud Website years ago, that's where I knew him from. I didn't know hardly anybody at hoodlums. They couldn't handle an outspoken female like me.  :P cool14.gif  :rofl:  I waltzed in there one night...  interpreted some guys dream (on a whim)... he put it out there, so I nailed it. Annie posted after me some lame interpretation of her own, and made total fun of me because nobody knew me. Then the guy comes on the next day and said he cried when he read my interpretation because it really WAS all about his father. (Like I had said) His dad had died a year before, and so on and so forth. Annie hated me, and I was doomed at that site from then on. End of story...  :smoke:

It's hard fitting into another tribe when you get kicked out of your OWN tribe by everybody you love.  :glare:  Life sucks on exile island.

Annie's got her gun, but she ain't no Owl...

I didn't mean you. As far as I know Alan came up with the idea. Either way I picked it off one of the Hoods Woods video's where he made one. Which I think makes it a copyright so a CYA on my part. Even If it's not, other people read the forum and I don't want to have them accusing me of stealing.       

~ How could anybody accuse you of "stealing" when you said in your first sentence that it was an "Alan Halcon fuel stove"....  :whistle: 

you worry too much Muddy Pete!  :hugegrin:

It's hard fitting into another tribe when you get kicked out of your OWN tribe by everybody you love.  :glare:  Life sucks on exile island.

Annie's got her gun, but she ain't no Owl...

Everybody didnt kick you out and the ones that did, If you look around, aint here no more and you are. Whos your daddy now.

Actually. They have been making and using beercan stoves on the apalation trail for around 50 years.  I don't know what little twist Hal put on that desighn but it looks like most any chimney style alcohol stove. My roommate in Denver back in 1988 showed me how to make one of the penny/jet style stoves. They are more efficiant and burn hotter than chimny styles.(in my own opinion) I've use them for backpacking mostly just to make coffee or boil in a bag meals. I currantly make them out of venome bottles because they last  a lot longer and are harder to accidently crush.

Alan put this material on his website to teach people how to make them. I have even made them and posted them in places and told where I got the idea. You mentioned Alan in your first sentence. You're good to go man, anyone accusing is obviously not reading very much.

I found the alcohol stove that I made awhile back. Which I made with proper tools to make and didn't crush out of frustration. I've boiled water on it once or twice.

I took both soda can stoves camping this past week. The one I first posted pictures of wound up being a holder for a tallow candle. I did find find the old one that I made a few years ago and used it instead.

Taken asked what you do with one? And, I had no idea. So I played with it for a few days. I used it to boil water for coffee when I didn't feel like matching wits with the Coleman stove.

It's simple to make, it's small, It boils water in under 3 minutes. You can put it in coat pocket with a little bottle of denatured alcholol. 

P9150153.jpg

P9150151.jpg