WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swede

Water Bottle Light

There's a house somewhere in LA (I've been to it and seen it on a tv show once) that has a concrete roof with thousands of glass coke bottles that were set in the concrete in the very same way. I'll see if I can find a pic of it.

But wow, what a very ingenious idea!

~ It looks to me that the idea would work fine without the 35mm film cansiter over the lid of the bottle. I mean seriously, who has a bunch of those things laying around anymore?  :blink: That just takes a brilliantly simple idea and complicates it beyond reason. 

~ Well, watch the video, and tell me if you think one is absolutely necessary for the Bottle of water to conduct sunlight from the outside in.

My best guess is that the black film container keeps the top of the bottle cool and prevents evaporation. 

I don't understand the canister thingy either? Why wouldn't you just put the screw cap back on the water bottle? Heck, if you're in a slum just cover the top with mud!

Muddy, do you still do 35mm cameras? IF you do I could send you about 20 rolls of ISO200 film. Maybe they have an expiration date....I'll check.

My best guess is that the black film container keeps the top of the bottle cool and prevents evaporation. 

~ They PUT the water bottle lid back on the bottle and Then they cover the lid with the film canister. My guess is that it disguises the bottle from looking like a cheap "water bottle" and makes it aesthetically more appealing to the eye. (they just don't say so) Anyhow, with a lid on the bottle, the water can't evaporate anyway. If the original lid is good enough to protect the bottle of water to begin with, it should be enough to protect it as a light bulb.  :whistle:  I would think the black film canister would heat up in the sun, and even block some of the potential light (Since it's way larger than the water bottle cap). I just didn't see the use for it.

Muddy, do you still do 35mm cameras? IF you do I could send you about 20 rolls of ISO200 film. Maybe they have an expiration date....I'll check.

Thanks, but I have 8 rolls of Fuji that I should use just to get rid of.