WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bobimbob

Ammunition

How many routinely carry spare ammo?

Does it depend on the kind of hunting? eg. near hunt camp, walk along a tote road etc...

How much ammo do you carry as a whole?

I rarely hunt with a firearm, but when I take the shotgun or sidearm into the bush, I'll carry extra mags, a spare box, or in the case of shotshells, an ammo belt.

I always carry an extra box (20rds) .308 in my pack along with a 10 rds belt carrier to have with me. When hunting with a detachable box magzine firearm I carry an extra 2 mags on the belt along with the full box in the pack 

When strictly small game hunting (.22lr) I carry in a belt pouch about 50rd loose and another 3 boxes in my pack. I tend to stray to a shooting range before and sometimes after small game hunting so I hardly ever come back with more than 25rds on me.

Guest adrenjunky

If I have a gun on me I always have extra ammo.

If hunting, I might take a box, maximum of rifle ammo (mostly for emergency signalling).  If I have a sidearm I like to carry a spare mag or speedloader (depending on revolver or auto) or one of the MTM ammo wallets.

I typically carry at least 25-30 spare rounds of ammo for the handgun I have along (sometimes in magazines). If I'm hunting with or carrying a rifle, perhaps 25 or so.  Just depends.

Nope.

Unca carries what is in the magazine.

If I am deer hunting, that is three.  If I am just walkin' inna jungle, dodging rattlers, my Glock has about six.

Reasons:

1.  Hunting... I go back to camp at noon and night.  You only get ONE shot deer hunting.

2.  It gits HOT and WET inna jungle.  Bulging pockets full of ammo are just wear points.

In fifty years of hunting, I have NEVER run out of ammo.  ONCE I used two shots (rifle).  Once, I emptied the Glock (but I wuz sorta excited and annoyed, and the last three were DEFINITELY overkill!!)  :rofl: :P