WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bobimbob

Ammunition special purpose?

Do many carry varied cartridges/bullets styles for their firearms?

Eg. .30/06 sprg. 100gr sub load for small game ( chance encounter in season)

...150gr/180gr loads for big game (original hunt purpose)

...200gr for dangerous game that you may encouter. (chance encounter)

Or using premium bullets/cartridge (express load) for that long range shot across a swamp, clearing, etc..?

During turkey season, which I am more likely to carry the shotgun than at any other time, I'll carry turkey loads, as well as small game loads and when hunting small game birds, I'll carry '00' Buck for hogs if I happen to encounter one.

When I have the bow, I'll carry big game arrows, small game arrows and roving arrows.  The main difference being the point used.  Well, that and the fact that the roving arrows are usually a mixed lot of arrows from past hunting arrows.

I'll carry a few "sub" loads for my .308 for pot meat, and specialy handloaded 200gr Nosler partition for bear encounters if it ever comes about. Otherwise 150gr for deer and 180gr for mooze. My stock has all the scope corrections taped to it. 

For small game I will carry .22 ball rds from RWS Germany for real close up shot otherwise stay with .22lr Remington HV

Guest adrenjunky

When I hunt pheasants I will carry duck and goose loads alot. When I hunt big game it depends on what I am hunting, if I am in an area with dangerous game I carry a second gun. Trying to change out ammo while a bear charging has never sounded that good to me.

When some friends and I went hunting in the Ouichitas a couple of years ago, I carried a Marlin .30/30 and wore a Taurus 6" .357 as a sidearm.  While hunting, I carried 158 grain JSPs in the .357, and then at night, I switched to 125 grain JHPs, which are more effective for defense.

Correction my notes have fallen/been wiped off the stock will have start all over again  :scared:

Try sealing them under some clear packing tape.  You can still just glance at the stock, but they should be pretty water- and wear-resistant.