WildSurvive Forum
Muddy Pete

Walking Dead for dummies

I would be up somewhere high with all the supplies I could get a hold of with a suppressed AR-15 in 5.56 for easy headshots out to 200 -300 yards. what I dont get in all zombie films is why dont they go and raid the nearest gun store ?

Just watched the "Walking Dead" marathon on AMC where they played all of both seasons.  I remember seeing the very first episode, but had not watched it again until about a month ago.  At first, my son was skeptical, but after we watched a couple he really liked the show.

The plot seems very well written and the character development is very good.  Most start out with a stereotype, but then let them grow from there.  It was very enjoyable to watch and seeing them one after another made you want to get right into the next episode (I recorded all of them).

I think they did a wonderful job with the flashbacks at various times, leading you to believe one thing at first, then using a flashback to show you what really happened, forcing you to rethink your original assumption.  Very cleaver.

A few oops here and there, as mentioned earlier.  Plus, the blonde in one scene was having trouble putting her pistol together (which in that series of scenes is a Glock) when the herd of walkers comes through, but in earlier scenes and also afterwards, her "gun" (that was given to her by her father) is a silver plated something with a thumb safety, obviously not a Glock.

I'm with you, NZ - I would be raiding a gun store, Walmart, and whatever else, then find a place to hold up.  I would think even a headshot with a .22 would do the trick.  lol  I would think you could easily set up obstacles to thwart the "walkers", then funnel them into a single line and see how many you could get with a single shot.

I am looking forward to the new shows starting on Feb 12.

Just watched the "Walking Dead" marathon on AMC where they played all of both seasons.  I remember seeing the very first episode, but had not watched it again until about a month ago.  At first, my son was skeptical, but after we watched a couple he really liked the show.

The plot seems very well written and the character development is very good.  Most start out with a stereotype, but then let them grow from there.  It was very enjoyable to watch and seeing them one after another made you want to get right into the next episode (I recorded all of them).

I think they did a wonderful job with the flashbacks at various times, leading you to believe one thing at first, then using a flashback to show you what really happened, forcing you to rethink your original assumption.  Very cleaver.

I'm with you, NZ - I would be raiding a gun store and whatever else, then find a place to hold up.  I would think even a headshot with a .22 would do the trick.  lol  I would think you could easily set up obstacles to thwart the "walkers", then funnel them into a single line and see how many you could get with a single shot.

I am looking forward to the new shows starting on Feb 12.

i totaly agree i have only seen season one because i bought it on dvd so im waiting for season 2 to come out on dvd. as for a place to hold up i was thinking some thing like a small wear house with a good size yard and high fenceing like a tow yard or so. why i chose a tow yard you may ask well its simple alot of supplies such as tools and fuel pluss all of thos cars that have ben impounded bu the police even more fuel and you never know what supplies you  may find in one. pluss parts for fixing other vehicles as needed if you can come up with a steady supply of fuel. for example two of the 4 yards for the companie i uesd to work for had around 5 tousand gallons of diesel in a storage tank and was refilled regularly expecialy the one at the admin office because  that tank also fed the generaitor that fed our dispatch office.theere was enough fuel to keep the entier office powerd for a month just food for thought. oh nd they all had tall fences as i said we stored vehicles that were impunded by the police

And if they like Hershel's place so darn much, why don't they just take over a farm NEXT to Hershel's. They could be neighbors. It's not like property is a commodity anymore.

Guest smallgamehunter

the gifted gun looked to be a silver plated 1911 from the episode i seen where the sheriff shows her how to take off the safety

the gifted gun looked to be a silver plated 1911 from the episode i seen where the sheriff shows her how to take off the safety

That is what I thought as well, but the back of the slide above the grip looked to be a lot more wedge shaped than most of the 1911 type pistols I have seen.

Guest smallgamehunter

could of been an aftermarket slide

Guest smallgamehunter

interesting gun based on a 1911 but designed and customized for the ladies

It reminds me of the silverballer gun from the hitman game

interesting gun based on a 1911 but designed and customized for the ladies

It reminds me of the silverballer gun from the hitman game

actually the smith and wesson series (i have a 908 compact) are as far from a 1911 as they come. double action/single action trigger, cant be carried cocked and locked and the safty is in a bad place (the slide) where the 1911 has it mounted on the frame. the smiths are good pistols, acurate and reliable. but definatly not 1911. the difference with the ladysmith is it has a slightly shorter trigger reach and thinner grips for smaller hands.

Guest smallgamehunter

my mistake.

It would of been better pink instead of silver or atleast pink grips on it to show that its a ladys gun.

The episode i watched it looked huge in her hand i think they could of picked a better gun for her small hands

no problem, im a gun nut  :hugegrin: true about the hands. my wife has small hands. when i first took her shooting i had 2 pistols. an h@k usp 9mm and a springfield 1911 .45. i figured she would like the 9mm better because of slightly less recoil. that gun didnt fit her hand at all and the trigger reach was looong. then she shot my 1911. short trigger reach, light crisp single action trigger and even though its a 45 the grip is slim so it fit her hands way better. she fell in love with it (i almost didnt get it back  :D she shot it way better to. 

Guest smallgamehunter

the gun in the show looked like a desert eagle in her hand i kept waitin for her to say do u feel lucky

The problem with going to raid the gun shop or Wal Mart is that everyone else is going to have the same idea.  If you wait until the zombie apocalypse--or Hurricane Katrina, etc.--you'll be too late to grab the supplies you want.  During a disaster places like that would be pandemonium and downright dangerous. 

In the South there should be more guns around.  Heck, I've got more guns of my own than that entire group has.

bob you have made apoint about the gun shops. what i dotn understand from season 1 (waiting for season 2 on dvd) why in the hell did they not pick up ammo and weapons off all the dead soldiers. expecialy since the vires from what i can tel is only transfered by bite scratch or simaler. also due keep in minde that the picked up the body and hacked it up to get to the box truck so what is stopping them from picking up supplies from the military personel that are dead

bob you have made apoint about the gun shops. what i dotn understand from season 1 (waiting for season 2 on dvd) why in the hell did they not pick up ammo and weapons off all the dead soldiers. expecialy since the vires from what i can tel is only transfered by bite scratch or simaler. also due keep in minde that the picked up the body and hacked it up to get to the box truck so what is stopping them from picking up supplies from the military personel that are dead

I agree with you there, HB.  It that situation, you salvage anything and everything.

Found the original "Night of the Living Dead" from 1968 on TCM.  It is actually very well done and quite entertaining.  Much more of a study in individual personalities reacting to a crisis than what I originally remembered.

The new Hornady Z-MAX ammo looks like the Critical Defense load with a different-colored polymer insert.  It's a great marketing gimmick, and the disclaimer is funny, too: 

Disclaimer: Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition is NOT a toy (IT IS LIVE AMMUNITION), but is intended only to be used on…ZOMBIES, also known as the living dead, undead, etc. No human being, plant, animal, vegetable or mineral should ever be shot with Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition. Again, we repeat, Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition is for use on ZOMBIES ONLY, and that's not a nickname, phrase or cute way of referring to anybody, place or thing. When we say Zombies, we mean…ZOMBIES!

I used to love to go to Cheaper Than Dirt, but now their shipping has gotten to be ridiculous.  For that one box of shells that cost $15.89 it would cost $11.93 PLUS $2.99 'handling', total of $14.92 s&h.  PER WAREHOUSE.  If you place an order that has items that ship from each of the three different warehouses they'll charge you that sort of shipping rate from EACH warehouse for a potential $44.76+ s&h charges.  I quit dealing with them over it.  Try MidwayUSA, Midsouth Shooting Supply or Natchez Shooting Supply, the per box cost may be a bit more but you'll save on shipping.

I know what you mean, K-Bob.  I have ordered a few things from there, but their shipping does seem a bit on the high side.