WildSurvive Forum

~ Here's my Baby bearded Dragon... 

babydragon.jpg

I've had a habitat set up for one for a while now... I was just waiting for Petsmart to put them on sale. I got him for 50% off. He's about three inches long. Very inquisitive and active. I put some wild dandelion leaves in his bowl (I washed them off well) and he gobbled them up. He ate a tiny baby cricket, so he's eating well. I have a basking zone set up for him that's around 110 degrees F (he's a desert lizard) and a cooler zone that's around 75-80F.  He's got a UVB fluorescent light that's on a timer for 12 hours a day. (They need UVB light to process calcium). He already knows how to lap water from his water dish (I saw him do it in the store) so that's good.  :thumbup:

All in all he's a very interactive little reptile pet (Way more so than any other lizards I have kept.) He's cute as hell... looks like a little dinosaur. Plus he isn't nocturnal so he's up and moving around when I am. When  he stalks a cricket... his little tail starts twitching like a cat, and he starts walking towards it really slow... when he picks up each front foot he waves them in the air like he's waving at you. It's funny as hell.  :rofl:

He'll top out at 24" long, and hopefully will be tame by then. He cost me 39.00. I pretty much had most of the stuff to create his habitat on hand, so it wasn't a huge investment.

dragonhammingitup.jpg

:woot: :rofl:  Now you know why these lizards are the number one pet lizard in the U.S.  :thumbsup:

as soon as I pulled out my phone, he struck a pose and smiled!  :hugegrin:

The people at the store were afraid that I had him in too big of an enclosure. They said he'd never be able to find the crickets I dropped in there. I just put three baby crickets in there, and he hunted all three of them down and ate them in less than four minutes. Then he hopped up on a branch and gave me a smile.  :P :grin:

~ No.....    I figured I'd watch him a while and try to come up with a name. Any suggestions?

We could have a "name the baby bearded dragon" contest.

Lawrence.

~ That's too much like Lawrence Welk!  Not sure about that.  :unsure:

The reason he looks pink, is because he's under his red heat lamp. As soon as he eats a cricket he jumps under the heat lamp to help increase his body temp. to digest the cricket.  :rofl:  He looks big in the picture, but he's really very tiny. Just a hatchling.

~ That's too much like Lawrence Welk!  Not sure about that.  :unsure:

The reason he looks pink, is because he's under his red heat lamp. As soon as he eats a cricket he jumps under the heat lamp to help increase his temp. to digest the cricket.  :rofl:

That is weird because I just happen to be watching Lawrence Welk on cable and he is (was) wearing a pink suit. 

DRACO: Latin form of Greek Drakon, meaning "dragon." Draco was the name of a 7th century scribe of Athens, Greece. It is also the name of a constellation. In Greek mythology, there are many dragons mentioned. For example, Drakon Ismenios was a gigantic serpent which guarded the sacred spring of Ismenos near Thebes; the Drakon Kholkikos was the guardian of the golden fleece; Drakon Maionios was a huge Dragon that ravaged the land of Lydia. 

Interesting behavior.  I wonder if it is a hunting technique they have developed to lull their prey into a false sense of security. They know their prey sees them, so they make a very slow non-threatening movement.  Prey sees the movement, is ready to flee, but when the attack doesn't come, they back off the threat warming.  There is an attack video, where the baby dragon moves close, prey freezes and watches, dragon does its little wave thing.  Prey watches, dragon stays still. Prey seems to start to return to whatever it was doing (in this case, the cricket starts to walk) and the dragon pounces.

Interesting behavior.  I wonder if it is a hunting technique they have developed to lull their prey into a false sense of security. They know their prey sees them, so they make a very slow non-threatening movement.  Prey sees the movement, is ready to flee, but when the attack doesn't come, they back off the threat warming.  There is an attack video, where the baby dragon moves close, prey freezes and watches, dragon does its little wave thing.  Prey watches, dragon stays still. Prey seems to start to return to whatever it was doing (in this case, the cricket starts to walk) and the dragon pounces.

~ I don't know, OFG....  interesting observation. This guy is definitely smarter than my Leopard Gecko that I've had for a decade. That Lizard won't eat anything unless it's moving. He can go after a cricket, and miss it....  and the cricket is just sitting there, stunned, right under his nose not moving, and the Gecko just sits and waits....  if the cricket stays still... the gecko will walk away and miss the whole meal. This little guy isn't like my gecko (or T-Rex in Jurassic Park) lol....  When he misses (and they often do with the first strike) he'll look at the bug, and make a second grab at it even though it's not moving. But they also eat veggies, so they've learned to taste stuff that doesn't move. He gobbles up dandelion greens like they're a treat. They didn't feed him fresh greens in the petstore they fed him dried packaged greens. (I never saw the babies eat that dried food). Anyhow, this little guy is way smarter than the Geckos I have. I have a leopard gecko and a crested gecko. Today, when he saw the crickets in the cricket keeper he went nuts.... running back and forth like a dog when it hears the can opener.  :rofl:

~ His Name is Odin,

He is my charge...  I am to look after him for now.  :arigato:

"Odin" is an anglicized old Norse word for "inspiration, rage & frenzy". Good name!!!!