WildSurvive Forum
oldfatguy

OFG out Wandering About

Nice Shot!!

Thanks, Doc. Amazing what I find when I am going back through old pictures. This one was one morning in July at my parents farm about 2-3 years ago.

~ I love all those In between photos OFG! They are gorgeous! I love sunsets and sunrises and twilight... they are like doorways to another world kind of moments. Very surreal. You have a good eye for photography. I hope you have a whole gallery at home on display. Captured moments like that can really lift you everytime you see them. :thumbup: 

Made it out to Hartman Reserve this afternoon for a session on Orienteering.  Went early and enjoyed the trails.  This is the first time in a while I have been able get out and just take in the world (rather that pushing forward when I was training).  The trees are offering a variety of colors.

qgut.jpg

And sunshine!

0yfu.jpg

It was great to just walk along and enjoy the sounds of the rustling leaves and the cool fresh air.

1ccz.jpg

as48.jpg

More leaf covered trails.

5n9x.jpg

This tree has lived an interesting life already.

ho48.jpg

Stopped by to visit the ladies as well.  They were quite active in the warm sun.

m4v9.jpg

They were hard at it, laying in supplies for the winter.

h577.jpg

They were too busy to pay any attention to me as long as I stayed out of the path to the entrance. When I got in the way, they just bounced off me and kept going.

5d64.jpg

83ip.jpg

That seems to be a young timber not many large trees. It is a special place in the fall with all the scents and colors.

That seems to be a young timber not many large trees. It is a special place in the fall with all the scents and colors.

That area is referred to as the "sugar canopy", primarily maple trees on top of the bluff. Sap is collected in the area in the spring to make syrup.  There are a few larger cotton woods and oaks mixed in, but many more down on the flood plain, just to the north east of this area (and down about 50 feet).

Had the chance to go down to the Cedar Valley Nature Trail this afternoon. Cool, about 20-25 degrees, sunny, but windy, not all that bad once you were moving.  I did have on a couple of layers and covered 4.5 miles.

About a mile up the trail is a bend in the river with some ice starting to form.

qafu.JPG

2le6.jpg

Here are some leaves on the trail, frozen in time.

1kwm.jpg

Found another area long the trail - Shaefer Wildlife area, 40 acres just south of the bend in the river.  Not sure how long this has been here, but I decided to explore it today.

z6m3.jpg

A nicely mowed trail follows around the outside.

There is an open area of prairie floodplain and a couple of stands of trees closer to the river.

f57.JPG

It was well worth the walk around here today and I will have to spend more time exploring this area in the future.

embc.jpg

Loved the pictures OFG. I need to get out and explore the farm more. Usually when I hunt mushrooms I'm walking, otherwise I'm on the ATV moving right by all the things I should explore.  It's hard to walk on unlevel ground anymore. :(

Loved the pictures OFG. I need to get out and explore the farm more. Usually when I hunt mushrooms I'm walking, otherwise I'm on the ATV moving right by all the things I should explore.  It's hard to walk on unlevel ground anymore. :(

Some days is it just plain hard to walk.  lol

Thats a pretty big area. I would have to see what fish I could catch in that river.

I am not much of a fisherman, but I have tried in the Cedar River near there, with no luck. 

There are a couple of real nice areas that would work well for a campsite and trees just about right to hand a hammock.  I will need to check to see if camping is allowed.  It is a little more than a mile in.

A cool, quiet day today. Went out for a walk here at my parents farm (sorry, no pictures). Went about 5 miles, temp was 25-30 range with the wind out of the southeast at around 10-15 miles per hour, a few broken clouds.  Not bad as long as you kept going, but didn't take long to get chilled when you stopped.  Made sure to find spots out of the wind to stop to take a drink or to check out the surrounding area with the binoculars.

I was working on the Les Stroud concept today of "If you sweat, you die" on my hike. Wanted to keep going, but tried to control my speed so I did not get too hot and start sweating.  I did pretty good and was able to still maintain a pretty good pace.

oh thats great I dress in layers when I hike so I just peel off the clothes as I go

that is what I did.  I had a wind vest on the outside, so I could unzip it as needed.