WildSurvive Forum
bobimbob

Re certification First Aid?

How many of us re-certify or upgrade our first aid skills on any type of regular schedual?

Before last year we had to recertify every year at my old work place, since I was a close friend of the instructor he would volonteer me to be the first responder or casualty on scene (which ever was the grossest, bless him :ranting:)

Guest adrenjunky

Granted it is what I do for a living but twice a month I am in training for EMS.

I usually resert a few months before anything is expired.  However I tend to upgrade moreoften then recert.  I'm hoping to scam a first responder course in the near future for some volenteer work in exchange.  :)

I recently became first aid and CPR certified... I hadn't done that sort of thing since I was a teenager.  I was surprised at how they had simplified CPR since I was a kid.

When I first certified it was so complicated that you had to produce in (CPR) a perfect graft that many people did not want to re-certify because of the bother. Also with so many stories of people being sued subsequent to using it, till the good samaritan laws a lot were scared to use what they had learnt. Today it is easier and if you are not perfect in your form it is better than not even attempting it at all.

But first aid and CPR are good skills to have, may even save your own life :thumbup:

Most companies are willing to sponsor certification/recertification for their employees on an annual basis.  The American Red Cross has excellent programs available for certification in many areas of first aid.  Local community colleges also have certification classes. 

I am a big proponent of first aid training, having used it on several occasions throughout my life.  If I didn't have Heimlich training, my daughter Ashley wouldn't be here today!!!

Hi all:

We recertify annually for standard First Aid,AED & CPR at my job. I'm on the ERT there & they get us really good training.

Until recently it's all been the ARC training,but we've changed over to ASHI for AED & CPR.

Annual recert. for Disaster First Aid ( BIG difference between that & standard first aid) with the local C.E.R.T. group & just recently completed the 40 hr. First Responder course.

I love this stuff & the free training can't be beat.

Cliff

Very cool Cliff. Thanks for sharing. The wife and I have thought about getting cert'd at our local Red Cross office but it doesn't compare to what you've gotten.

Guest blacksmith

ett has to recertify every two year in Alaska

In the UK, the rules are changing from October.

First Aid At Work Certs used to last 3 years, but now people are "strongly advised" to have 1 day of refresher / update training every year.

I have just completed the UK First Aid at Work Instructor, ECP First Aid Instructor and Defibrillator Instructor courses so can now teach all of the above. 

Excellent news, Adi!  I'm glad you'd posted this, I'd forgotten all about this thread.  It was good to read a couple of Bobimbob's old posts again!

I completed the recertifcation for basic first aid and CPR this spring.  It was pretty much a review but a few new things (or things I forgot) there as well. Some changes to the CPR (don't worry about breaths in a heart attack situation, just compressions).

That was a great news about you, Master Tracker and we are really happy for that. Taking up a first aid course is a nice choice, because you can apply what you have learned everywhere and especially in times of emergency. Congratulations and pray also for me, because I am currently studying for a first aid course. Hope I can also pass it.

I'm a Fireman/EMT-I .We recertify with the State every 5 years. We do Con Ed training every month during the certification period.

I'm going to have to take my first classes when I start my new job at the retirement home here in England.  I'm excited about it!  :thumbsup:

Guest smallgamehunter

Im taking first responder or emt-b course here soon