WildSurvive Forum
hillbillytowing

survival rifle

so i was farting aound online a few nights ago when i could not sleep and i found a .410/.45 colt rifle and read a review about it on another forum that was talking about how the but stock was hollowed out and the for end grip could be removed for storing emergency supplies i thought i would share it with you and see what evey ones thoughts were. i cant finde the forum again i origonaly ready about this but will include a link to the the wesight of the manufacturer. if i find the post ill let you know.

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/ShotgunsAndRifles/survivor.asp

the rifle im talking about is at the bottom of the page

Guest smallgamehunter

45/410 would be enough to bring down anything up to a deer

I guess I would have questions about that one. Looks interesting, but you can no longer use a .410 for deer hunting in Iowa.  Would be great for small game, but you would have to be pretty close to take a shot at a deer and be very careful with shot placement.  Of course, that would all depend on accuracy of the rifle.

Not sure how the .45 rounds would shoot either, as they are designed as a pistol round.  Again, you would have to try it out.

For roughly the same price, you can get a Remington 870 12 gauge with long and slug barrels.

Guest smallgamehunter

The 870 would make a good survival gun but i would suggest 20 gauge instead based on your experience with firearms HB

What does it run price wise?

Hell, a .22 can take down a deer if done right...  It all depends on what you want the gun for.  BOB weapon?  Woodsbumming gun?  All arounder? 

If you know what you want it for, then you can find some better options.  To me, putting your survival kit in the but of your gun is stupid.  Having backup equipment in it, yes, having your whole kit there?  NO!

Survival kits should be compartmentalized.

Main kit-Bag that carries hiking/camping/survival gear

Smaller kit inside-Just basic survival gear that can be taken if you need to get away fast

EDC-Gear that you carry on your body whether in your pockets, in a vest, or in a best

Then the most important part (YOUR BRAIN)

Just some .02

I'm not sure if you were just sharing this gun, or if you wanted to buy it.  It is cool, but I think there are some better options out there.

Watcher you made some food points and I.would not use.it to.store my Maine kit. Some thing like that is strictly a back up kit.  I defanetly plan to buy a couple.firearms as soon as I.start working but don't know wheat ill be going with since hunting in a non survival situation is out of the.question due to my living situation ill mostly be going for fun to shoot at range and aelfdefence. I have ben.thinking about a 12g shotgun for that line up just gotta shoot one and finds the mocks I like. I have held a 870 and the 590 and the 870 feels better quality I posted this as a hey look at what I found

The one listed in HB's post is listed at $234, but is listed as out of stock.  I also found a Rossi Circuit Judge (http://www.rrstar.com/news/x1980206801/Pair-visits-McDonalds-in-Galesburg-naked) for $489.00

I found an 870 combo (long and slug barrels) in either 12 or 20 gauge at Gander for $449. (http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=416737&pdesc=Remington_Model_870_Express_Deer_Synthetic_Shotgun_Combo&str=remington+870&merchID=4005)

You are absolutely right, a .22 could take down a deer, but only if you hit it in the brain or managed to sever it's spine.  Either would be a tricky shot and almost impossible if the deer were moving.  I have see a full grown bull dropped like a sack of potatoes with a .22 in a slaughter house.  The bull was pissed, stomping around, butting anything it could see, but they had it in a confined pen.  He waited until it stopped, looked right at him and popped it between the eyes.

I agree with you too, Watcher, on the survival kit in the stock. 

Thanks OFG.

HBT, guns are a secondary need.  Focus on paying off your debts and putting food on the table before focusing on "survival items".  You need to satisfy your basic needs before you can start storing foods, buying tv's, and buying guns.

If you want a gun for target shooting, then you want a .22 or a 9mm.  Those are the 2 cheapest rounds to shoot.  A .22 rifle can be found for under a 100 bucks if you look around for a good deal.  A .22 rifle also is a great gun for survival because it allows you to take many types of small game.  It also will stop a 2 legged threat if absolutely necissary.  It's not going to work as well as a 30-30 or a .45 would, but it still will do the job better than a baseball bat would. 

A 9mm is also very versitile, because it would serve as a self deffence weapon as well as a target shooting gun.

But like I said before, other things need to come first. 

Watcher thanks fort he advice but all of our debts are actuals yully paied up on all.nd our bills have benbreduced to a point where my wife can pay for them im looking fr work to build up.savings and to.get medical. That and im like oscar the grouch when I don't work.

Watcher thanks fort he advice but all of our debts are actuals yully paied up on all.nd our bills have benbreduced to a point where my wife can pay for them im looking fr work to build up.savings and to.get medical. That and im like oscar the grouch when I don't work.

Sounds like you have been making some great progress, HB. Good job.

Back in july to about September I.was working at the. Oakland yard tuning 3A in the new contracted zone was averaging 12-15 hours a day had a few 20 hour.days wichnis.a big no no but didn't care it was helping us net ahead sadly we didn't put up.savings

I didn't realize that you were that far forward in paying things off, that is great brother!  In that case, I'd deffinately recommend a .22  Rugers 10/22 is one of the best one's out there.  I have one and love it.  Super accurate, reliable, and you can mod it to your hearts content.  I know a lot of people that, when asked "If you could only have one gun, what would it be?" and they reply Ruger 10/22.

no offence taken and a .22 rifle is deffantely on the to buy list and a pistol for my wife probably a walter p22. im also toying with the idea of a leveraction .22 from henery just for fun just the thought os a leveraction brings a smith to my face.  how you likeing that blak powder another interest of mine

I love my CVA .45 blackpoweder.  Its a great rifle, and it's like going back in time when I shoot it. 

I'd say if you are a beginner shooter (sounds like it from what SGH said) then you should get a .22 rifle first.  Learn the basics of shooting before getting someting bigger.  I love the Walther P22 that we have, it's a great gun. 

Ruger just came out with a similar .22 pistol, and I would love to try out on of those!  Ruger also has some great little concealed carry guns like the LC9, maybe look into one for your wife. 

North American Arms also makes some VERY SMALL guns that easily would fit into a pocket.  Little .22 mag guns, would be a great backup. 

http://www.northamericanarms.com/firearms/magnums/mag/m.html

http://www.northamericanarms.com/firearms/380guard/380guardian.html

http://ruger.com/products/lcp/models.html

http://ruger.com/products/lc9/models.html

http://ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/models.html

im not inexperinced in shooting i started when i was about 7 but mostly shot .22lr have shot a thompson cntender with a .357 barel loaded with hollow point once and a 9mm and a .30 cal carbine from ww2 once that was fun holding and shooting a pice of history like that. i cant waite for the state of california to approve the new smith and wesson m&p .22 pistol but it may never happen. its based off of there 9mm fram and fits in the same holster. here is a link to it http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_785503_-1_757781_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y    my wife has small hands and  has ony ben out shooting once she fell inlove with the p22 but is looking for some thing a little smaller and refuses to shoot revolvers wich makes things verry limited in what will fit her hands but she loved going. i will check out those links that you posted

we ben looking ant the smith and wesson body guard for her to use for deffence. but have not done much research into it the one review i read said the owner was having trouble with it not cocking the hammer when loading the next round after  having fired like 350 rounds threw it. we will see for now shes going to stick with a .22 wicj is fine with me because im not going to rush her into a biggercaliber when shes not ready

censored.gif  :ranting:  wow ...... wow so i know absalutely nothing about shot guns so after reading threw some of the replies here i thought i would further my education on the expecialy after looking at the 870 expess combo from ofg man that is some minde boggling stuff use this chok efor shooting this kind of bird use this for rabbitsand  such use this for this bird use this load for this but only with such choke but you can use x load for this in this choke or the other holey crap manerd where dose it end and become understandable for an idiot like my self.after what i have read im tempted to stay away from them all together  :wallbash: :hmm:

Modified choke, end of story.  Have one on mine, use it for trap shooting, can use for home defense, and can shoot slugs too.  Not long range, but under 50 yards it isn't too bad. 

ok then what about all the diffrent shot options what shot gun you get watcher

You might want to do a little more research, Watcher.

As the name implies, the "choke" is closing the end of the barrel, just a little.  This closing down of the end of the barrel will make the pattern of shot coming out of the barrel closer together and carry farther.

Here are the three I use:

Improved is the least amount of choke.

Modified is the next step up.

Full is the most about of choke at the end of the barrel.

Here is the amount that these three chokes constrict the end of the barrel:

Improved    .010″

Modified   .020″

Full           .035″

These charts give you an idea of how much the pattern spreads with each level choke:

Percentage Of Shot  Inside 30″ Circle

CHOKE                   20 Yds 30 Yds 40 yds

Cylinder                   80% 60%         40%

Skeet                        92% 72%         50%

Improved Cylinder 100% 77%         55%

Modified                 100% 83%         60%

Improved Modified 100% 91%         65%

Full                         100%    100%        70%

Approximate Effective Pattern Diameters (In Inches)

10 Yds 20 Yds 30 Yds 40 yds

Spreader         23″       37″         51″       66″

Cylinder Bore 20″       32″         44″       57″

(no choke)

Improved

Cylinder           15″       26″         38″         51″

Modified           12″       20″         32″         46″

Full                   9″       16″         26″         40″

Here is what I use:

Full choke - when pheasant hunting, this is what I use.  It will give the longest distance, but as the patter is smaller, you will need to be more accurate with your shots.  #5 loads are what I use for hunting pheasants, but make a pretty good all around load.  I will use this on rabbits - just need to be sure to lead them and let them run into the shot pattern.

Modified choke - if I am hunting in close cover, I will use his sometimes, but this is the choke I use the least.  I might also switch to a lighter #6 load.

I will use this or the full choke when shooting targets but switch to light loads - #7 or #8, as these are cheaper and will break a target.

Improved - the is the least about of choke.  This is what I use when shooting slugs as you do not want to choke the barrel any more than you have to with slugs.  This will also reduce the amount of kick with slugs.

Modified choke is a good all around for general use, but it takes just a few seconds to change the choke and the change offers improvements, depending on how you are hunting.

As you may have noticed, there are various sizes of shot available.  The heaviest is 00 Buckshot, which has only 9 pellets.  Some people use this for deer hunting, but I prefer slugs, which is a single, rifled projectile.  As the number of the loads gets higher, the pellets get smaller, but there are more pellets in the load.

Heavier loads will carry farther, so #5 load will carry farther than a #7 1/2 load shell.

Chart 3

Number Of Pellets Per Ounce

SHOT SIZE      LEAD*  STEEL

8               585     - – -

7 1/2       410     - – -

6               225     316

5             170     243

4             135        191

2               87     125

1             - – -     103

BB             50       72

BBB             - – -       61

T             - – -       52

F             - – -       40

*Pellet counts for bismuth and Tungsten-Matrix shot are about the same for lead

I have always been a firm believer in understanding what I was doing and how things work. Don't let it intimidate you.  Best why to decide is take a step back and figure out what you want to do.  From there, it is a matter of finding the right tool that you are comfortable using.

I grew up hunting pheasants, which are very fast. They can go from sitting to flying 40mph in a couple of seconds.  You have to be quick, identify the bird (you only shoot roosters), find the target and shoot before they get out of range. 

he probably got that from me ofg. i used to be all about different chokes and shot but found out from 30 years of hunting that i only needed one choke.  ive  hunted everything from rabbits and squirls, pheasants, ducks, geese, deer with a modified choke and never had any trouble knocking something down. most the time i use #4 or #6 shot. 4 for range and 6 for everything else. one thing about chokes  you didnt mention is that the tighter the choke the more it deforms the pellets as they are forced against each other, theses pellets wont fly as true and tend to wander leaving  less pellets on target . ive  pattern tested all the different chokes in my mossy out to 45 yards. ive noticed that the full choke would clump small shot patterns with large gaps between them where the modified would have less pellets in the 36 inch circle but with a much more even spread.  you need to lead all moving game unless its flying strait at you or strait away.  ive also shot slugs for groups from the bench to see wich choke gave best acuracy for a smooth bore shooting rifled slugs. and at least in my 20 guage and my mossberg shot the best groups with modified and second best with improved cyl.  these are just my tests so they might not match up with any written law about shottguns and patterns but you need to pattern test any shotgun you own to get the most out of it.

You are right, Razor, you definitely need to understand how your gun will shoot.

As I said, I will mainly use a improved choke for shooting slugs and full choke for most everything else.

I have found that different slugs will vary in accuracy.  I started out using Remington slugs, but after shooting these for a while, found that the pattern was all over the place.  I switched to Winchesters and these are much more accurate in my shotgun.