WildSurvive Forum
hillbillytowing

survival rifle

Guest smallgamehunter

i used to hunt all types of small game with a full choked single shot ithca 410 i used winchester hi brass 3inch shells #6 shot when the leaves were gone and #4 shot early in the season.

Hb if u get a shotgun look at the options around and narrow it down to a few models that u like then take a trip to a gun shop and handle those models.

You are right, Razor, you definitely need to understand how your gun will shoot.

As I said, I will mainly use a improved choke for shooting slugs and full choke for most everything else.

I have found that different slugs will vary in accuracy.  I started out using Remington slugs, but after shooting these for a while, found that the pattern was all over the place.  I switched to Winchesters and these are much more accurate in my shotgun.

ive tried the saboted slugs and they didnt pattern well, i get the best accuracy for slugs from brenneke. those have shot tight groups in every shotgun ive ever owned, after that my mossy likes remingtons but my old sears roebuck liked winchesters. just like musical instruments all guns are different, even 2 guns serial numbered next to each other might like different rounds.  another thing to think about is if you are using heavy loads #4 #5 shot you dont want to shoot when the game is to close, youll blow it to pieces.found that out the hard way....me and my darned reflexes  :hugegrin:

i used to hunt all types of small game with a full choked single shot ithca 410 i used winchester hi brass 3inch shells #6 shot when the leaves were gone and #4 shot early in the season.

Hb if u get a shotgun look at the options around and narrow it down to a few models that u like then take a trip to a gun shop and handle those models.

back when pheasants were a bit more populated i used to take alot of them with a single shot breach loading 410. with #4. dont have a clue what the choke on it was but it was a great shooter. the chokes and loads can make up a little for lack of skill but most the time its the guy squeezing the trigger that determines if the bird goes in the bag and not into the next county.

HBT-  A shotgun is a HIGHLY versitile gun, everyone should own one.  I have a Mossberg 500.  Some people call them "department store guns" and some people say they aren't as rugged as a Remington 870, but for me it was the best choice.  I have never had problems with mine, its a pump, and it runs flawlessly. It holds 5 shells in the tube and 1 in the chamber.  Around here you can find a NICE 500 for 175 bucks.  I got mine for 125 from my girlfriends dad.  Its a work horse, and it does all I need it too.  I shoot trap with it, and I got 5th place at a tournament with it.  (I'm out of practice now, but still not too bad).  I could take it hunting for anything from squirrels to pheasents to deer.  I use 8 shot for trap shooting, 4 and 6 shot, are more for hunting, and then 00 buck is for some self defence.  Slugs are used for deer.  Thats just how I use mine.  Its not too bad brother, honestly.

Its just like rifle ammo, you have your hollow points, full metal jackets, more powder, less powder, bird shot ammo, tracers, etc.  Different ammo for different uses.

Plussss.... There are some cool specialty rounds out there.  You can get dragons breath ammo that shoots flames 100 feet in the air.  There are also rounds that look like fireworks.  They can be used to help signal for help. 

Felchette rounds are another specialty round.  These were used in Vietnam.  Its little metal slivers that would shoot through the brush and imbed in the enemy.

Shotguns are very versitile, and not too bad once you get used to one.

Shorter barrel=home defense, and not much else...

Longer barrel like my mossberg 500=good for damn near everything.  Its not very manoverable inside a house, but just the sound of racking the slide will scare the shit out of damn near any criminal.

Hope this helps!

ive tried the saboted slugs and they didnt pattern well, i get the best accuracy for slugs from brenneke. those have shot tight groups in every shotgun ive ever owned, after that my mossy likes remingtons but my old sears roebuck liked winchesters. just like musical instruments all guns are different, even 2 guns serial numbered next to each other might like different rounds.  another thing to think about is if you are using heavy loads #4 #5 shot you dont want to shoot when the game is to close, youll blow it to pieces.found that out the hard way....me and my darned reflexes  :hugegrin:

Were you using a slug barrel when shooting the sabot's?  Using my son's 870 with the rifled slug barrel and sabot slugs, you can shoot a pattern the size of a paper plate at 75 yards.

You never want to shoot rifled slugs through a rifled barrel.

LOL I know what you mean.  If a bunny comes up and I have #5 loads, I have to wait for it to get away, then lead one of its cuts so it runs into the pattern. Usually you can get a head shot that way.

I made the mistake of not noticing the shells I picked up one time, just grabbed some on sale.  Bunny came out and I let him get away and shot.  I thought I hit a milk weed pod. Went to pick it up, had the back legs in my hand and the rest was strung out all the way to the ground.  I had picked up some #5 magnum shells.  Oops.

Slug barrels are shorter and are rifled.  They can give you a lot more accuracy than a long barrel if you are using the right kind of slugs.  Some of the jungles I have ended up pushing through, the shorter barrel makes that a lot easier.

Watcher - doesn't the Mossberg eject the spent shell casings under the gun?  Most lefties I have hunted with prefer that setup to the 870, which ejects the spent casings to the right.

Were you using a slug barrel when shooting the sabot's?  Using my son's 870 with the rifled slug barrel and sabot slugs, you can shoot a pattern the size of a paper plate at 75 yards.

You never want to shoot rifled slugs through a rifled barrel.

LOL I know what you mean.  If a bunny comes up and I have #5 loads, I have to wait for it to get away, then lead one of its cuts so it runs into the pattern. Usually you can get a head shot that way.

I made the mistake of not noticing the shells I picked up one time, just grabbed some on sale.  Bunny came out and I let him get away and shot.  I thought I hit a milk weed pod. Went to pick it up, had the back legs in my hand and the rest was strung out all the way to the ground.  I had picked up some #5 magnum shells.  Oops.

i know not to shoot rifled slugs in a rifled barrel, lol i shot the sabots from a remington 870 rifled and my mossy smoothbore. got about 8-9 inch groups with both at 50 yards. my mossy shoots the brenneke rifled slugs into 3-4 inch groups at 50, alot of the groups will have 3 rounds almost clover leafed and 1-2 rounds just a bit outside.(i always test with 5 round groups) i love those slugs.

i know not to shoot rifled slugs in a rifled barrel, lol i shot the sabots from a remington 870 rifled and my mossy smoothbore. got about 8-9 inch groups with both at 50 yards. my mossy shoots the brenneke rifled slugs into 3-4 inch groups at 50, alot of the groups will have 3 rounds almost clover leafed and 1-2 rounds just a bit outside.(i always test with 5 round groups) i love those slugs.

I was pretty sure you knew that, but wanted to make sure anyone else reading along was aware.

I will have to try the Brenneke slugs.

HB - deer slugs are all hollow points, meaning they will expand on impact, doing a lot more damage.  I have lung shot a deer that when straight through. Entry wound was about the size of my thumb.  Exit wound I could put my fist through.

Nope, mine ejects to the right.  It works just fine.  I've grown used to using any righty gun.  I've never had a spent shell hit me or anything.  Except for that darn glock... :P

I was shooting my Glock one time last summer without a shirt on.  Had a shell casing land on my shoulder.  Won't to that again.  lol  It likes to make sure you are paying attention.

HBT,  keep in mind that in California you have a much different set of rules to live by, including a ban on lead ammunition.  I'm sure Rockhounder can help you with what ammuntion types are available to you for whichever firearm you decide on.

Like most others here, I feel a good shotgun is one of those firearms that is just too versatile NOT to own.  I don't know exactly what sort of shot material is allowed in California--tungsten, steel, bismuth, etc.--but again, maybe Rocky does.  I also feel the same way about a good .22 rifle:  everyone should have one.  Again, cheap ammo may be a problem in the People's Republic of California.  KentuckyWoodsman here on the site has a version of the H&R .410 you were looking at, ask him how he likes his.

On handguns, I think I read that your wife has small hands?  My wife does too, and she's been tough to fit for a good handgun that wasn't a .22.  The S&W M&P series has become her favorite due to the interchangeable back straps.  She loves my (hers now) M&P40.  The M&P9 might be a consideration, but so might the Springfield Armory xD or XDm.  I'd also say you couldn't go wrong with a Ruger P95, they're tough as hell and pretty inexpensive compared to the others, but the grip size or trigger reach might be a bit long for your wife.  For the time being, I'd steer clear of a small 9mm like an LC9 or Kel-Tec for the simple fact that the small 9mm's do kick plenty for their size.  An inexperienced shooter might try one, not like it, and never pick up another.  If you look at .22 pistols the Walter P22 would be a decent choice, also consider the Ruger MkIII or 22/45 series.

Be sure not to look at a Glock, that would never work, no adjustable backstraps, no smaller versions, and reliability...sheesh..  Besides, only 60% of the handguns in the US are Glocks... :wacko:

I wasnt putting down glocks. Glocks are "one" of the many fine handguns out there. There just not for everyone. No single handgun can match everyones needs,ergonimics or situations.  There were some ultra reliable handguns long before glock was born. And most modern manufacturrs make ultra reliable handguns. Most use the same tilt barrel with an extended feedramp that john moses browning created for the browning hi power some 40+ years before glock was born.  The same as glock.  Just because my first car was a dodge and it worked great dosnt make it the best car for everyone.

I don't dispute that in the least, Razor.  Nothing wrong at all with considering all of the possibilities.  I encourage that and do it myself.

My point is, if it is as good as a Glock, why not at least consider a Glock?

As good as a glock is an opinion. Not a fact.  A glock is as good as a sig or a glock is as good as an m&p is no different.

I must be missing the reviews that say or imply that "this Glock is as good as a <fill in the blank>", most seem to say "this <fill in the blank> is as good as a Glock".  Yes, an opinion.  Simply an observation.

I've stated on the forum several times that I think a Glock is absolutely a fine, reliable gun and that my only problem with one is that I just don't care for the grip angle.  I've owned several of them--my first was an original model 17, and then I got another like it.  My third was a model 31 in .357 Sig, and my last was a model 19--my favorite of the lot.  My wife tried my 19, but it wasn't comfortable with her little hands.  The other guns I mentioned--with the exception of the P95 which I recommended due to it's cost--fit my wife fairly well.  That's the main reason I didn't recommend a Glock to HBT.  If a Glock would fit his wife's hands, she would be very well served by one.

I must be missing the reviews that say or imply that "this Glock is as good as a <fill in the blank>"

and they never will.  ;)  im feeling this topic is getting off track for " survival rifle" so im going to limet zny more comments to the actual topic. Sorry  for hijacking your thread...