WildSurvive Forum
Muddy Pete

Winter Blast at Ground Zero 2012 Feb 10-12

Then the wind hit. 25 degrees with gust up to 40 MPH.  :o  I had washed out a bandana earlier and hung it on a tree branch. It dried horizontally Everything remotely damp, tents, clothing, gear, cups of water started freezing and the sun hadn't even go down. By 7:00 Saturday night we had a wind chill around 10 degrees. And we had venison Ka-bobs on the campfire.

P2110072.JPG.26965cddf487e3c2374710546e5696f8.JPG

P2110073.JPG.163e3f4079c948cd67f9d3c5aa2aaa64.JPG

P2110074.JPG.3b09d8f7c226af7b8f718ccd5826e926.JPG

P2110076.JPG.1f50298915f7ebfab0839ebc2469fc3b.JPG

he might have tasted better than the possum  :rofl:

Most likely. We had a AR-7 (?) .22 survival rifle but without night sites, we had to spot it with a flash light and guess. When it finally dropped, Hank pounced on it and took off.       

~ I like the sunset pic! on page one, And I LOVE those snow flurries at night! How cool is that! Hey, what's that Church looking building in that pic on page one? And what do the words say over the door?

First National Bank.

Awesome report MP!  Thanks for sharing with us, it looks like a great time!

Thanks, it's funny that I have to sleep outside in a tent in February to get a decent nights sleep.  :D

I'm going to be up front that on Saturday night we all crashed on the living room floor instead of staying out. We could have stayed out. We had the proper clothing and gear and no one was suffering from the cold. All of us had done over nights in cold weather. I think we just got bored. 

One member of our group was a 14 year old boy scout who was looking to gain some winter camping experience. He had a tent suited to warmer weather The kind with the open mesh top and the rain tarp that ties off above the tent. His rain tarp was tied off to several small sapling instead of solid trees. Saturday morning he a woke up to find the snow had compressed the top of the tent almost to eye level. Then of course much of that snow fell into the open top and soak his sleeping bag.

He was wearing sneakers and kicking around in the snow all day. When the winds picked up and temperature dropped, the concern for his health and saftey came up. It was suggested to him that he may want to sleep indoors. Typical kid he insisted he was fine. So it was slowly suggested that we should all go sleep indoors. He was fine with that.

good decision. i deal with the scouts (perticularly the younger ones) alot and even after giving them a checklist they still show up in sneakers, baseball caps and hoodies.  sometimes they have to learn the hardway. but we keep a close eye on them.  i probably did the same thing at there age.

good decision. i deal with the scouts (perticularly the younger ones) alot and even after giving them a checklist they still show up in sneakers, baseball caps and hoodies.  sometimes they have to learn the hardway. but we keep a close eye on them.  i probably did the same thing at there age.

If he had insisted on staying out or if we had been in a real survival situation, I had a my gortex bivvy sack, hand warmers and spare dry clothes I would have farmed out. We could have also made some improvements to his shelter to improve the wind block.       

i always bring extras to. i know someone will forget a sleeping pad, or a coat, or only have one set of gloves.  youd make a good scout leader muddy.  :arigato:

i always bring extras to. i know someone will forget a sleeping pad, or a coat, or only have one set of gloves.  youd make a good scout leader muddy.  :arigato:

Thank you.