WildSurvive Forum

I'm working on a new mini kit for pocket carry on days I'm in the field working. I used a new MatchCap XL for the container.

So far the contents are:

7  REI Storm Proof matches

1 small ferro rod (nanoSTRIKER refill rod at the moment)

1 pack Katadyn Micropur water purification tabs

1 fire straw (PJCB sealed in straw)

1 Exacto knife blade

2 Flies

1 Heavy-duty sail needle

? 20 lb test spider wire (however much fits on a bobbin...)

The tube still has room for more hooks, a few weights, and something else..., and I could maybe shorten the tube and the matches some and get a 20mm button compass in it.

DSC_0385.jpg

DSC_0386.jpg

DSC_0387.jpg

DSC_0404.jpg

DSC_0427.jpg

DSC_0429.jpg

DSC_0430.jpg

I like it.

Thanks me too. I've been waiting on this match safe for months! I'm pretty sure I have an extra 20mm compass around here somewhere. I need to get the weights and the hooks in the tube and see how much room is left also.

i would focus more on a container for storing and transporting water than the compas. great kit but not much help if you cant hydrate but knowing you mist you can make a container of some form but its just a thought

great kit but not much help if you cant hydrate

Something is better than nothing. I like pocket size kits because you are more likely to have it on you when something goes wrong. Alot of people here don't like altoid tin survival kits, however they are a perfect size to leave in your pocket all the time. I often find myself wandering away from camp not intending to go far yet ending up a fair distance away.

i would focus more on a container for storing and transporting water than the compas. great kit but not much help if you cant hydrate but knowing you mist you can make a container of some form but its just a thought

I have a couple of different water bottles and canteen/cup/stove systems one always goes with me. I also have collapsible 1 liter water bags that will disappear in my pocket but would take up most of the room in this kit. If worse come to worse I can always make a bamboo canteen if I am in the right area. Mainly with this kit I was trying to think of multiple useful items that would fit in it that would benefit from being kept dry.

Something is better than nothing. I like pocket size kits because you are more likely to have it on you when something goes wrong. Alot of people here don't like altoid tin survival kits, however they are a perfect size to leave in your pocket all the time. I often find myself wandering away from camp not intending to go far yet ending up a fair distance away.

I'm the same way, I'll walk away from the base area to get a photo I want and can wonder two miles taking random photos. I like altoids tin kits for the size, I have a couple and one is my flint and steel kit. What I don't like is the level of moisture resistance the tin has.

I have an empty copenhagen can that I have ben considering doing this style kit in. I once. Read some where that a dude put a great milk pump bag in a kit like this

Water collection is very important, any heavy-duty plastic bag kept safe will work, but I like these.

Whirl Pak free-standing bags.

DSC_1966.jpg

DSC_1961.jpg

DSC_1963.jpg

DSC_1965.jpg

DSC_1960.jpg

Wow, I had completely forgotten about those.  The milk hauler would always take a sample of the milk they picked up and that is what they used.  Blast from the past.

Wow, I had completely forgotten about those.  The milk hauler would always take a sample of the milk they picked up and that is what they used.  Blast from the past.

Yeah, Whirl Pak makes a lot of sizes of seal-able sample bags, but only some are free-standing.

I'm working on a new mini kit for pocket carry on days I'm in the field working. I used a new MatchCap XL for the container.

So far the contents are:

7  REI Storm Proof matches

1 small ferro rod (nanoSTRIKER refill rod at the moment)

1 pack Katadyn Micropur water purification tabs

1 fire straw (PJCB sealed in straw)

1 Exacto knife blade

2 Flies

1 Heavy-duty sail needle

? 20 lb test spider wire (however much fits on a bobbin...)

The tube still has room for more hooks, a few weights, and something else..., and I could maybe shorten the tube and the matches some and get a 20mm button compass in it.

DSC_0385.jpg

DSC_0386.jpg

DSC_0387.jpg

DSC_0404.jpg

DSC_0427.jpg

DSC_0429.jpg

DSC_0430.jpg

Did you make that yourself or buy it from somewhere?