WildSurvive Forum
newzealandsurvival

A quick overnight camp in the bush

Wow, I didn't even know google maps would do that, especially the suggestion of the kayak!

Hey man, don't worry, some of us know that New Zealand is actually a country. Personally I'm a big LOTR fan and saw where it was filmed  :hugegrin: 

Same here, the scenery in NZ's photos made me remember why they filmed the LOTR in New Zealand.

happy097.gif dude that's directions to New Zealand street in AUSTRALIA :hugegrin:  New Zealand is its own country, yes we often get confused as being part of Australia. but I can assure you we are an actual country :D

I didn't know there were still kiwis in NZ, I thought they had all moved over here.  :P

I plan to walk the Milford track if anyone is keen to join me  :thumbsup:

http://www.ultimatehikes.co.nz/en/guided-walks/the-milford-track

When would you be doing this? NZ is only a cheap four hour flight for me.

I didn't know there were still kiwis in NZ, I thought they had all moved over here.  :P

When would you be doing this? NZ is only a cheap four hour flight for me.

we still have a few Kiwis :woot:  another few decent earthquakes and the rest of us will be moving over, the way the country is shaking though NZ will be apart of Aussie pretty soon anyway :hugegrin:

I would probably want to do one of those walks next spring, ( 6 nights away ) family commitments have me restricted to short trips for the next 6 months.

Has anyone been to the Redwood forests on the California coast, if so any photos or old posts about it, spending some time walking through those giants of the forest is on my bucket list.

We got two or three California members. Rockhounder would be one to ask.

Has anyone been to the Redwood forests on the California coast, if so any photos or old posts about it, spending some time walking through those giants of the forest is on my bucket list.

~ My husband went to the giant Redwood forests last Winter. I didn't get to go. It was work related.  sad042.gif

Yep, I have some family in Redway/Garberville so I drive Hwy 101 through the "avenue of the giants" to get there. The Eel River runs through that valley too, got some great steelhead in it.

I'll see if I can rustle up some old pics, but I don't think I've posted anything about it here. You ever make your way to these parts you got a place to sleep and a road trip partner. One of the best ways to experience the "giants" is to make your way into a town called Willits. There's an old steam locomotive called the Skunk Train that ferries you from Willits to the coastal town of Fort Bragg (I have a post about that trip here somewhere). Since most of the "old growth" redwoods (the seriously insanely huge ones) were harvested at the turn of the century, the skunk train takes you through a preserved section of old growth forest. It's absolutely MIND BLOWING. That's going west of me, we can also go east and hit the sierra nevada range! I love where I live! Drive an hour to the west and I can go surfing, and hour to the east and I can go skiing!

Great lookin country NZ! I'm glad you post pics! I made the mistake of flying to Perth once (I didn't have a choice, I was on a VP squadron mission out of DEGAR) and never wanted to travel to that side of the hemisphere again. You're changing my mind!

~ My husband went to the giant Redwood forests last Winter. I didn't get to go. It was work related.  sad042.gif

I've been to the Red Woods a few years ago. My camera died so I didn't get any pictures.

Yep, I have some family in Redway/Garberville so I drive Hwy 101 through the "avenue of the giants" to get there. The Eel River runs through that valley too, got some great steelhead in it.

I'll see if I can rustle up some old pics, but I don't think I've posted anything about it here. You ever make your way to these parts you got a place to sleep and a road trip partner. One of the best ways to experience the "giants" is to make your way into a town called Willits. There's an old steam locomotive called the Skunk Train that ferries you from Willits to the coastal town of Fort Bragg (I have a post about that trip here somewhere). Since most of the "old growth" redwoods (the seriously insanely huge ones) were harvested at the turn of the century, the skunk train takes you through a preserved section of old growth forest. It's absolutely MIND BLOWING. That's going west of me, we can also go east and hit the sierra nevada range! I love where I live! Drive an hour to the west and I can go surfing, and hour to the east and I can go skiing!

wow thanks for the offer, Yes I definitely want to see the giant redwoods, I would love to see some photos, National Geographic did a good story on the redwoods a year ago maybe longer, it blew my mind how big those trees are and how incredibly beautiful the forest is with so much green foilage :pray:

Perth you say, my brother was there for two years, very hot and dry. unlike NZ forests which are very wet and lush green.

The largest trees we have are Kauri trees, the biggest one in the country is called Tane Mahuta. ( pronounced Ta-Nay Ma-hoo-ta ) still they dont have much on the Redwoods.

450px-Tane_mahuta.jpg.251146cb81a9745be3b5b24e7cd56386.jpg

we still have a few Kiwis :woot:  another few decent earthquakes and the rest of us will be moving over, the way the country is shaking though NZ will be apart of Aussie pretty soon anyway :hugegrin:

I would probably want to do one of those walks next spring, ( 6 nights away ) family commitments have me restricted to short trips for the next 6 months.

I have a baby arriving in 6 months so it may be off the cards for a while. I will make it over to NZ one day. I went to Tasmania last year and loved it and I keep getting told New Zealand is similar but better.

thanks man, its funny, I'm desperate to see America's amazingly beautiful country, and alot of Americans want to see NZ

Anytime you are in the area, NZ, you are welcome at my place.

Perhaps we could do a wildsurvive exchange program.

Id be glad to trade ya a couple of our guys.  :hugegrin: