WildSurvive Forum

~ How big is it? I think that's some innovation that the heat from it can be converted into enough electricity to charge your phone.  :cool: That would be good just to have around in case your electricity went out.

It looks like it uses small sticks and stuff that would burn fast, I would bet you'd have to keep feeding it constantly, especially if it's small. But sticks are not in short supply around here, but they do give off a lot of smoke. So do pine cones (which they also suggested in one of the Ads.) I imagine it would really soot up your water boiling cup! I'm picturing a cup on top with smoke billowing up from underneath. I wonder if they'd be allowed in areas where campfires are prohibited certain times of the year.  Either way, I'd like to have one to play with!  :thumbsup:

Pictures show the camp version to be about the size of a 32 oz water bottle. They have a larger version for home use.

I think this uses "wood gassification" once it gets going, where the wood is heated, vaporizing the wood, then burning the gas.  A small fan drives this process. This process makes burning wood much more efficient (and gives off less smoke), so a small bunch of sticks will burn much longer.

Pictures show the camp version to be about the size of a 32 oz water bottle. They have a larger version for home use.

I think this uses "wood gassification" once it gets going, where the wood is heated, vaporizing the wood, then burning the gas.  A small fan drives this process. This process makes burning wood much more efficient (and gives off less smoke), so a small bunch of sticks will burn much longer.

~ Well that's pretty high tech. How does the fan run? (I'm just making sure it doesn't require batteries) That would knock it down a notch in my mind. If it burns that way like a high tech clean burning wood stove... I'd pay that kind of money for it.  :thumbup:  Where can I get one?

They aren't available yet. You have to reserve yours starting now!

~ Well that's pretty high tech. How does the fan run? (I'm just making sure it doesn't require batteries) That would knock it down a notch in my mind. If it burns that way like a high tech clean burning wood stove... I'd pay that kind of money for it.  :thumbup:  Where can I get one?

From what I have read, once the fire generates enough heat, a "thermoelectric module" starts generating electricity, which then drives the fan. 

http://biolitestove.com/Technology.html

Availability says "Camping season - 2012".  You can pre-order one through their website:

http://biolite.myshopify.com/?__utma=85435402.1976597474.1328619186.1328619186.1328629659.2&__utmb=85435402.4.10.1328629659&__utmc=85435402&__utmx=-&__utmz=85435402.1328629659.2.2.utmcsr=wildsurvive.com|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/outdoor-camping-forum/index.php/topic,5508.msg248174/boardseen.html&__utmv=-&__utmk=242061003

shapeimage_3.png.f486ce73221a01ddd90768be49e23cc3.png

~ I wonder how much it weighs...  :unsure: 

Either:

a: you didn't bother to click through the information pages on the website

b: you took more pain meds

--or--

c: You're messin' with me...

Product Details

• Powers all USB-chargeable devices including smartphones, LED lights, GPS and many others.

• Fast to boil.

• Lights quickly and easily.

• Burns sticks, pine cones, pellets and other biomass.

• Folds for easy packing.

• Packed size: 8.25 x 5".

• Weight: 2 Lbs 1 oz  /  935 grams.

Either:

a: you didn't bother to click through the information pages on the website

b: you took more pain meds

--or--

c: You're messin' with me...

Product Details

• Powers all USB-chargeable devices including smartphones, LED lights, GPS and many others.

• Fast to boil.

• Lights quickly and easily.

• Burns sticks, pine cones, pellets and other biomass.

• Folds for easy packing.

• Packed size: 8.25 x 5".

• Weight: 2 Lbs 1 oz  /  935 grams.

~ You left out the option:

Didn't feel like clicking through the product details, wanted somebody to do it for me.  moose0024.gif  Thanks for that info.  :thumbsup:

So basically it weighs more than most of my patients do.

~ You left out the option:

Didn't feel like clicking through the product details, wanted somebody to do it for me.  moose0024.gif  Thanks for that info.  :thumbsup:

So basically it weighs more than most of my patients do.

I was being polite  (...see, that caught you off guard). 

Yeah, save the index finger...don't waste those clicks.

An interesting perspective.  I would think the campstove would be offer more benefit when out hiking.

Dammit ofg, you realize i have to get one now...thanks bunches buddy  :ranting:

Glad to help.  BTW - How's Little Razor doing with the metal detector?  happy061.gif

(..see, it is actually my fiendish plan to get you to buy one so I can try it out first to see how well it works. If it works well, then I'll just borrow yours.)