WildSurvive Forum
razor sharp

Razors world (pictures and stuff)

im not sure what tree this is, some kind of birch i think but even after the rain it was easy to gather lots of dry "paper" from it. the stuff lit up fast on the outside of my tinder bundle.

That is river birch. The "paper" makes excellent tinder and will take a spark.  Contains oils that burn nicely.  In the pictures of the Swedish torch I posted, this was stuffed down in the top between the sticks to get it started.  As the name implies, it grows along rivers.

it felt like it would take a spark pretty easy. i crumpled some up and added it to my tinder ball and wrapped some on the outside.  it went up so fast once the coal  lit the tinder that i had to throw it in the fire pit. (burned my finger) i couldn't even get a picture it went up that fast. it seamed to have some kind of accelerant in it. good stuff to know. ill have to do one of those swedish torches some time.

i almost forgot to post a picture of my fishing rig.  its crap but it casts good and works. garage sale 3.00  :hugegrin:

That's an awesome fishing pole! I can only find the telescopic ones and then there kinda wimpy.

That's an awesome fishing pole! I can only find the telescopic ones and then there kinda wimpy.

it extends to about 5 feet. it casts good but retrives like crap. thinking about taking the reel off and rigging a zebco 33 to it. it is lightweight and solid though. and it fits inside my pack.

That would be willow bark from some skinny little willows growing by the river.  It works good to tie stuff but it breaks pretty easy once its dry.

That would be willow bark from some skinny little willows growing by the river.  It works good to tie stuff but it breaks pretty easy once its dry.

~ thanks. I wondered before but I didn't wanna look stupid by always having to ask.  :blushing:

I've gotten fairly good with the hand drill razor... Just seems simpler to make, less parts to build.

I've gotten fairly good with the hand drill razor... Just seems simpler to make, less parts to build.

ive done the hand drill, the fire plow and the bow drill. i dont practice enough with the handdrill to be consistent and ive failed with it on rainy days. i can almost guarantee fire with the bow, even in nasty wether, its the only reason i prefer it. plus its just fun to make  :hugegrin:

I've been trying different woods, like beech hemlock and iron wood. When I say I've gotten fairly good I mean I'm gettin smoke lol. I haven't got a good ember yet. I'm going to try mulain next.

I've been trying different woods, like beech hemlock and iron wood. When I say I've gotten fairly good I mean I'm gettin smoke lol. I haven't got a good ember yet. I'm going to try mulain next.

lol, it took me forever and some pretty raw hands to get my first coal with a handrill. i will admit i cheat a little. ive notched the top and put a piece of string over it with two loops and put my thumbs threw the loops. that way you get downword preasure without stopping to move your hands back up.  ive also used a mouth hold like you would a hand hold for bowdrill. just something to bite in your teeth with a divot in the bottom. that actually worked the best for me.  one word of advice. if you use mullen stalks. sand then nice and smooth. the rings in the stalks will beat your hands up fast. aspen worked the best for me if i remember right.

My hands are like calloused rocks from working in ice cold temps for so long. My wife gets pissed cause I snag up her shirts if I touch her lol... Kinda handy really :)

My hands are like calloused rocks from working in ice cold temps for so long. My wife gets pissed cause I snag up her shirts if I touch her lol... Kinda handy really :)

mine were like that when i worked at the quarry. i never wore gloves, i could sand wood with my hands at that time. my wife actually like me rubbing her back because it was like someone scrathing it with finger nails. i know exactly where your coming from hiker.  ;)

Good thing I'm married... Just sayin :)

i want so bad to crack a joke about it feels like masterbating with a cheese grater but i wont go there  :whistle:  happy097.gif

Is this the part where we tell everyone you've worn it down to a nub :-[

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2