WildSurvive Forum
oldfatguy

Mors Kochanski Try stick practice

After cooking my lunch in the woods today, I brought the stick I used back and decided to get in a little practice.  I've had the Mora for a while and do like it.

Starting from the left on the longer stick is a circular diameter reduction, then a knife tip mortise (square hole through the stick), a latch notch (on the back side of the stick), a bow notch (also on the back), 90 degree planes (for a deadfall trigger), dovetail notch, butterfly cut and then a spear notch on the end. 

On the shorter stick, from the left - a matching butterfly cut, square diameter reduction and then a saddle notch (this one needs some work).

I have done "neatly rounded end" on three of the four ends.

I like how the matching butterfly cuts can be put together. These could then be lashed together, for making a pack frame, for example.

I did this all without batoning.

TryStick1.thumb.jpg.2c99752e009ffbc7baaaeee10ccdca26.jpg

TryStick2.thumb.jpg.c88a9485f11b00caefb23917952dbef3.jpg

TryStick3.thumb.jpg.87913502f52a49dded22abe32ce38206.jpg

TryStick4.thumb.jpg.e779c943634b826c58e7594c1af201fd.jpg

Those butterfly's are brilliant.  Lashing is one of my weaknesses and that would make lashing much more sturdy and stable.  GREAT work.

Thanks

I have a .pdf with instructions for making each cut.  Let me know if you would like a copy.

I was amazed at how solidly the two butterfly cuts connected the two sticks, even without any lashing.

I'd love a copy.  THANKS!!!!  :thumbsup:

I've done some rabbet joints and half lap joints making a box and a kids chair, and I've seen plenty of dovetail joints used, but never thought about doing it in the wild.  Sure, it takes a little more effort than just lashing, but  the results are worth it.

Thanks  :woot:

Nicely done. I have read a bit of Mors' work, the man knows his stuff. The craft part of bushcraft is definitely where the thinner lighter blades of Mora knives excel...I still prefer a minimum of 1/8-inch or 3mm thick and would rather have 5/32-inch or 4mm and though I like the scandis I have ok, I still like a flat or mostly flat grind for my uses these days.

Looks great OFG! Kinda like playin with Lincoln logs :)

OMG...I LOVED Lincoln Logs!  :thumbsup:

With some practice, you can start making your own.

With lots of practice, I can live in my own Lincoln Log home!  :woot:

With lots of practice, I can live in my own Lincoln Log home!  :woot:

Might want to consider scaling it up and using a hatchet.

Nice looking try stick.

Thanks.  It is great practice and really gives you a feel for the knife you are using.  After you get on to some of the cuts, it is also fun to try some variations, like making a triangular reduction instead of a square or round one.

Playing around a bit and make a couple of fuzz sticks, spiraling them the full length of the stick.

Next I took the diameter reduction cut and spiraled this the length of the stick. A little tricky working through the knots, but my Roach Belly did it well.

Next, made a fid. This is pretty much just a pointed stick.  You use it to part rope when doing various splices.

Stick1.thumb.jpg.088a4d6564dee64e31229be4ee47f1c3.jpg

Stick2.thumb.jpg.0c43c8ce79bdd7e872ac156afca59a99.jpg

Fid.thumb.jpg.7da8579ae4b60a6a72bc6f37782e2848.jpg

That is just Awesome work OFG.  The wood sprites remind me so much of some things my father used to draw.  Just love it.

I have a .pdf with instructions for making each cut.  Let me know if you would like a copy.

Very nice exercise and one I should practice myself.  If your offer of sending that those .pdf instructions still holds, I'd welcome a copy.

Thanks for posting this.

- Martin