WildSurvive Forum
oldfatguy

Figure 4 Deadfall

I have been reading about and researching these for a while and decided to give it a try.

It does take some practice and quite a bit of tweaking to get this to work.  Lots of variables involved with the length of each arm, notch size and placement, etc.

Practice will definitely make this better. 

This whole project took me about 30-45 minutes.

Fig4-1.thumb.jpg.370a5709feda934127168927aac98725.jpg

Fig4-2.thumb.jpg.59d93419c08773debb1a41992b3594e3.jpg

Ive played with  them before to.  i prefer the Paiute trigger. its easyer to set but works just as well. great job ofg. now you just need to get one of your cats to walk under it...  :whistle:

Ive played with  them before to.  i prefer the Paiute trigger. its easyer to set but works just as well. great job ofg. now you just need to get one of your cats to walk under it...  :whistle:

Nawww...I wouldn't do something like that (at least not while I'm taking the pictures).  :whistle:

Nawww...I wouldn't do something like that (at least not while I'm taking the pictures).  :whistle:

when i was doing some survival demos at maquoketa caves state park i would set one up and walk a toy stuffed gopher up to it the toss it in against the trigger. it always looked funny with its little legs sticking out like a cartoon.

Guest smallgamehunter

good work bob  i tried one a couple of years ago but i found i can set 3 dozen snares in the time it takes to make 1 figure 4 so i use snares

good work bob  i tried one a couple of years ago but i found i can set 3 dozen snares in the time it takes to make 1 figure 4 so i use snares

I think it is illegal to use either here in Iowa.  It did work pretty well to clunk my cat in the head.  Not sure how that cat food got spread out under the trigger...

id rather use snares myself to. way more effective, and illeagle in iowa  :whistle: (although i think you can use them if you have a furbearors licence for trapping. not sure though

Maybe you could show us how those work?

id rather use snares myself to. way more effective, and illeagle in iowa  :whistle: (although i think you can use them if you have a furbearors licence for trapping. not sure though

I had me one of those furbearors licenses in college... Than my wife came along and took it away.... :)

Very nice wish I could do something like that

Practice, greene and give it a try.  I could only wish I could do it until I tried.

Nice notching, making trap triggers does take practice. A lot of people don't like using figure-4s because of a low success rate with deadfalls. I think deadfalls have a low success rate period for a lot of people. Personally I like using figure-4s more with box or basket traps. There are ways to increase efficiency of figure-4s. I like to have less of my diagonal sticking above my vertical, just enough to keep the dead-fall or box out far enough not to strike the vertical on the way down. I also make my diagonals less steep angle by cutting the lower end to an acute angle an under-cutting the back of the notch it seats in on the horizontal. So far it seems the less steep angle creates less resistance in the downward motion of the dead-fall and flips it out of the way. Another ything I do is cut the square notch in the horizontal nearly to the center for a good wide connection and then bevel off part of the side of it for less travel before tripping the trap. If this looks like it was hurridly thrown together it's because it was, the light was quickly leaving and I wanted the pics to make these words make sense.

DSC_9364.jpg

DSC_9366.jpg

DSC_9367.jpg

DSC_9368.jpg

DSC_9369.jpg

DSC_9371.jpg

DSC_9378.jpg

DSC_9388.jpg

DSC_9383.jpg

DSC_9385.jpg

DSC_9390.jpg

Im sure its just for demonstraiting purposes greene.  Alot of times deadfalls pin an animall and suffocate it rather than killing it outright unless its pleanty heavy.

Thanks, Mist.  That is the first thing I found is there are so many variables (thickness and length of each stick, placement of the notches, angles of each stick, etc..) that it would take a lot of practice to fine tune the setup.  I was happy to get the first one I tried to set and trip.

I was just using a 2 x 4 for practice as it was handy.  You would definitely use something heavier if you needed to catch something.  I baited mine with cat food to test, and they two cats did trip it, but the were unharmed, just annoyed.

Thanks, Mist.  That is the first thing I found is there are so many variables (thickness and length of each stick, placement of the notches, angles of each stick, etc..) that it would take a lot of practice to fine tune the setup.  I was happy to get the first one I tried to set and trip.

I was just using a 2 x 4 for practice as it was handy.  You would definitely use something heavier if you needed to catch something.  I baited mine with cat food to test, and they two cats did trip it, but the were unharmed, just annoyed.

Did they look at you like this?

shocked.jpg.9eea0895ad2a9e706f219ecf5e795cc7.jpg

Is that board heavy enough to kill something?

No, it was just to serve as a weight to hold the trigger together and demonstrate where I like them to fall. As I said it was thrown together hurriedly. Anything that board would have big enough to disable would have likely been small enough to get out of the way quickly. When I make actual dead-fall traps I makes something similar to a small narrow raft for a wider impact area, with small spikes tied in and protruding downward, and weights on top for mass to drive the spikes into the ground. If it doesn't kill...and doesn't miss...then it usually at least pins the animal in place. I've had better luck with basket traps that dead-falls though. Finding usable baskets for traps is easier in an urbanized or industrial type environment. Making them in the bush is time consuming as well as labor intensive.

Im sure its just for demonstraiting purposes greene.  Alot of times deadfalls pin an animall and suffocate it rather than killing it outright unless its pleanty heavy.

Yup.

Yeah, you can only gain so much from a book, practical application and experience in using them is where subtle changes are figured out. It's like certain methods of fire starting...hard to master unless you actually need to master it.