WildSurvive Forum
taken by the wind...

Hiking in Hidden Places with taken

~ I get out and explore every off day (That it doesn't rain). Normally the places I find aren't very picture worthy. But come Spring time... It's going to be beautiful around here. I'll be sure to get pics of the Big Spring Bloom in the woods.

~ What do you catch night fishing, Hillbilly Hiker? I don't really know anything about fishing, but I wanna learn.

Same here, I am a horrible fisherman but want to be better...  I never have any luck.

Taken, ave you concidered getting a digital camera?  A relatively decent one can be bought for under 100 bucks, especially if you look for sales or on ebay.

Same here, I am a horrible fisherman but want to be better...  I never have any luck.

Taken, ave you concidered getting a digital camera?  A relatively decent one can be bought for under 100 bucks, especially if you look for sales or on ebay.

~ I've considered it, I Just never have. I guess I Need one.

Hey now, Les caught 3 finish when he was in Baffin Island and then 3-4 more when he was on horseback in the Rockies.  But yeah, he sucks at fishing.  I do too.  Maybe we need to start a support group?

You'll catch the same fish as daytime but it's 20 times more exciting. And you'll have a better chance of landing the bigger ones since there more skidish. Top water lures that splash or make noise are great to use and add alot of excitement.

Fishing just takes patience and practice. Talking to local bait shops is a great way to learn what works in your local area.

Misty is right those dead pines are the fat wood. The sap concentrates as the tree dies.

Deer track is the one small hoof but the big one looks like cow.

Here is the one picture Im curious about. In our country we would call it a levee. I have no idea why there would be a levee there unless there is a stream some where. 

1330206834.jpg

1330206796.jpg

These are huge rocks buried in the ground.

I found the same color of this stone in Canada and I have yet to identify it. Ill keep looking.

Misty is right those dead pines are the fat wood. The sap concentrates as the tree dies.

Here is the one picture Im curious about. In our country we would call it a levee. I have no idea why there would be a levee there unless there is a stream some where. 

~ There are no cows around there. The cows are right by my house on the way to that lake. They live across the road from us.  That lake isn't fenced in. It is however closed off to vehicals. There's a big gate on the far side of it that is easly walked around but unauthorized vehicals are prohibited. The cows are separated from that place by a busy road and a neighborhood. There was a barbed wire fence between that Black Angus Bull and me. No way I'd be in a pasture with THAT guy.  :scared:  He was right by the fence along the road, and so Waco wanted a closer look. When the bull looked up and saw us, he trotted off a few feet, then turned, pawed the ground lowered his head and snorted then he just stood at attention staring at us.  8| That fence wasn't hot, and In my mind I saw him hopping over it effortlessly, so we moved on down the road.  :hugegrin:

Mistwalker convinced me to go back and try to chop into the heart of that pine (The part still sticking up out of the stump). I did try to break it, but it was solid as a rock. So I'm going back today to do that. I'll look around for some more likely targets. I'm not taking my dog with me because he really makes it hard to "stop". He's used to moving when I walk him. We don't normally meander.  :whistle:  I was laughing at myself yesterday getting all annoyed with my husky... telling him to "quit pulling!" as if.  wacky115.gif

I found the same color of this stone in Canada and I have yet to identify it. Ill keep looking.

~ it's very common around here. We have a whole park where a stream runs over a large area of it, it's called Flatrock park. I'll get some pics, it's pretty close to my house. All the roads in my neighborhood are named after rocks.

1330206834.jpg

~ It IS a levee. That's a huge ridge, and you walk along it and the lake is off the right hand side of it. On the other side of it, there's a huge run-off drain and a stream that drains water away from the lake (I'm assuming) There's lots of little streams and a larger one that run off into the lake. Maybe it was made for drainage around all of the neighborhoods that surround this place. If I walk along the top of that levee by the time I get to the lake it's down such a steep hill, that It's too dangerous for me to go down with a Husky "pulling" me. So I just went around the levee to get to the lake. However...  Going UP the hill is easy with my dog pulling me (HE does come in handy at times.) LOL

1330206796.jpg

These are huge rocks buried in the ground.

According to the USGS, the underlying bedrock in that area would be either sandstone or a stream aluvium (debris deposited by flowing water, compressed into solid rock).  Are there any striations (deep scratches) across the surface?

~ There are no cows around there. The cows are right by my house on the way to that lake. They live across the road from us.  That lake isn't fenced in. It is however closed off to vehicals. There's a big gate on the far side of it that is easly walked around but unauthorized vehicals are prohibited. The cows are separated from that place by a busy road and a neighborhood. There was a barbed wire fence between that Black Angus Bull and me. No way I'd be in a pasture with THAT guy.  :scared:  He was right by the fence along the road, and so Waco wanted a closer look. When the bull looked up and saw us, he trotted off a few feet, then turned, pawed the ground lowered his head and snorted then he just stood at attention staring at us.  8| That fence wasn't hot, and In my mind I saw him hopping over it effortlessly, so we moved on down the road.  :hugegrin:

Mistwalker convinced me to go back and try to chop into the heart of that pine (The part still sticking up out of the stump). I did try to break it, but it was solid as a rock. So I'm going back today to do that. I'll look around for some more likely targets. I'm not taking my dog with me because he really makes it hard to "stop". He's used to moving when I walk him. We don't normally meander.  :whistle:  I was laughing at myself yesterday getting all annoyed with my husky... telling him to "quit pulling!" as if.  wacky115.gif

I've seen the tracks of large bucks in east central Alabama that could damn near rival smaller cows, and I've seen the deer that made them. There are some really large white tails in the un hunted areas here in the south east.

Feldspathic sandstone.  While searching and my rock books kept telling me it was a form of sandstone but my experience with sandstone is a very soft  rock in Illinois any way. Called Bluestone found in Pennsylvania to Virginia mainly and Appalachian areas. Without further investigation Im only guessing glacial drift as Im not familiar how far south any of them went.  This density of sandstone makes beautiful jewelry and has enough Mohs hardness to polish. I kinda remember Mistwalker finding an out crop in Tennessee.

It appears glacial action on the surface of Takens find. Crevices from upper left down to lower right form a line that resembles glacial damage. Or I could be wrong. At any rate take a pointy hammer the next time a try to chip off some pieces. Be careful or you could loose an eye.  :P

http://www.google.com/search?q=blue+sandstone&hl=en&client=flock&hs=jlj&channel=fds&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=I3dKT8fjKuOSiAK4t6meBA&ved=0CGEQsAQ&biw=1015&bih=544 

I thought that too, Swede, however, the last "glacial maximum" that was 20,000-25,000 years ago did not reach that far south.

Any recent construction or earth moving in that area?

~ I went to Flat Rock Park today to get some pics for you two. It's in direct alignment with this lake. The water from Flatrock flows into this lake and beyond. These are the same kind of rocks... they're all in a line along this path that the water takes. Only I think around the neighborhoods they've contained the water and controlled it.

1330284686.jpg