WildSurvive Forum
taken by the wind...

Hiking in Hidden Places with taken

1330284689.jpg

This is a huge area of flat rocks where water naturally runs downhill a few miles from my house. These rocks are VERY slippery in the Summertime especially. This park was quite full of people today (because you can drive all the way around it). In the Summer it's very crowded. This is the same path of water that eventually runs into that lake I found. It's not far away.

1330284697.jpg

1330284701.jpg

Flatrock park has loads of tough Trail Bike trails... cyclists are all over this place, plus it backs up to the rails to trails path in back of the park that goes all the way to the riverwalk downtown, so it's a very popular park for recreation and picnics.  :thumbup:

Amazing Taken thats pure bed rock. Im guessing at some time in history there was some gold found there. Apparently there are areas of the bluestone that are darker blue and more of a glassy material. The stone you found on your walk appear to be more of a gem stone quality. They make counter tops and step stones and tile out of some of the lesser hardness areas. In parts of the world where Feldspathic sandstone is found entire buildings were constructed. Do people get to wade in the stream?

Amazing Taken thats pure bed rock. Im guessing at some time in history there was some gold found there. Apparently there are areas of the bluestone that are darker blue and more of a glassy material. The stone you found on your walk appear to be more of a gem stone quality. They make counter tops and step stones and tile out of some of the lesser hardness areas. In parts of the world where Feldspathic sandstone is found entire buildings were constructed. Do people get to wade in the stream?

~ People get to do whatever they want to do in the stream...  even drown. Because it's slippery, kids love to slide down those rocks in the Summertime into the little pool at the bottom, but that little pool has a lot of power and turbulence that they don't realize is there. Sometimes people have gotten trapped and drowned. It's an ominous place spiritually (to me) and I don't tend to hang out there. Even my kids have felt uncomfortable there. But it has great beauty.

Here in Illinois we are in whats called the Pennsylvania Age. That means coal, sandstone ,shale and limestone. Sandstone here is soft and when streams erode the earth eventually it reaches the bed rock. Sandstone wears out quickly and limestone is beneath it. That stops erosion or slows it greatly. That is why rivers and streams dont erode any deeper like the Grand Canyon.

If we find any other rocks its from Glacial Drift and is the origin or gravel or river gravel. Most country roads were gravel roads but today they are usually limestone that doesnt last nearly as long but much cheaper to quarry. Old gravel pits can still be found where large deposits of Glacial drift left it from the big flood that occurred from an unexplained rapid melt of the last glacier.